How to Get Rid of Chrome Trim Round the Windows

Civic_Clan

5+ Year Member
Hey guys, mind to share how did u guys get rid of the chrome trim round the windows on our EK? Some say just spray it black but would have to respray over n over again as the paint will peel off after some time.

If I choose to cover the chrome trim with black tinted film, will it be better idea?

Mind to comment bros?

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I take it you have a sedan.

Your best bet is to mask it, sand it with a 500 grit sandpaper, and then follow up with 1000 grit. Then take a black trim dye such as Bumper Trim Black from Urethane Supply Company (http://www.urethanesupply.com/) and dye it black. If you can remove it from the car first, I would spray it with Duplicolor Trim Paint first, for a more even coverage. Then you can use the Bumper Trim Black to touch it up on the car.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
For longevity of the product I'd just get new pieces for the windows. That'd be the easiest in the long run, no touch-ups needed, no tape peeling.

Best of both worlds. A little priceier of course, but the end product is going to last longer and imo look better. (The real black trim does not look completely flat.)

xposigroovex

5+ Year Member
I'd LOVE to get new trim. Unfortunately when I went to the dealer they said to get someones VIN and they'd order it using that info. Some people here said I should just find another Civic with the black trim and see what year it is. What I have found is that coupes come with black trim but no sedans do. I don't think it's possible to avoid painting these if you want them black. If anyone knows otherwise I'd LOVE to see them in black cause I'll be ordering them.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
xposigroovex said:
I'd LOVE to get new trim. Unfortunately when I went to the dealer they said to get someones VIN and they'd order it using that info. Some people here said I should just find another Civic with the black trim and see what year it is. What I have found is that coupes come with black trim but no sedans do. I don't think it's possible to avoid painting these if you want them black. If anyone knows otherwise I'd LOVE to see them in black cause I'll be ordering them.

What is with all these people's dealerships telling you they need vin numbers? Mine has never done that. Craziness :lol:

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you really need a VIN... go on eBay and find a car with the feature you want.

I personally have been able to go in and say "I want the trim piece that goes around the radio and a/c for a '98 Civic". And that's all they need. They bring up the image, you say yes, that's the part, and they go get it or order it. It's silly imo that they'd need a VIN. I know you can search the EPC with a VIN, but it sounds lazy or something imo.

Anyway, just go on eBay and look for a 6th gen of your body style with the trim you want.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

Civic_Clan

5+ Year Member
thanks guys for da comments & advise.

most probably i'll sand & mask it with that bumper & trim black :D
kinda hard to find a new or ori black trim for EK here. will definitely post the pic when im done with it! lol

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aww, come on... I even gave you a correct VIN! :(

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I imagine it should fit up just the same. If there's any question though, I'd look for a '99-'00 DX sedan with black trim before you order them.

I don't imagine they'd mount any differently between the years, but we know there are minor differences (especially with '96s it seems) so it might be best to be safe. You should be able to return parts that don't fit or you otherwise don't need, but there might be a restocking fee.