How To: Ground Wire Replacement For Your Civic

civic_rice

here's a short How-To on how to re-ground a Civic (or any car for that matter)
Hope you like it!

After completing, i've noticed a slightly higher but 'fresher' idle (93 civic dx)
This is the second vehicle I've done this with. I also did a '87 CRX and noticed the same higher 'fresher' idle, and the stereo pounded alot louder.

- roughly 3 feet of 4 guage audio cable
- 5 4 guage ring terminals

buy your terminals at West-Can auto parts, they're $2.75/2 inc. tax
buy your cable anywhere, should be about $9 for 3 feet

***Quick Directions***:
strip the ends of the cable, apply the ring terminals
clamp/solder the ring terminals on the cable ends

wow, that was hard.

-locate the ground wire
-undo the bolts, bolt on the new wire

-locate the ground wire
-undo the bolts, bolt on the new wire

(this one is optional, if you do it, be sure to buy a nice Audio battery terminal off Ebay or something for one of the cable ends)

and there she is, done!
any questions, comments ---> direct them to civic_rice@hotmail.com

Here's a link to my original post on VanCivics if you're interested in what other's have had to say:
http://www.vancouvercivics.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=13553

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cool. Question, do you need to disconnect the batter before you do this?

EBPimpSi

CCCC member #76
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
96greencivic said:
Cool. Question, do you need to disconnect the batter before you do this?
only time you have to disconnect the battery is when you're changing the ground on the battery...

EBPimpSi

CCCC member #76
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this lil mod is ususally called the "Big 3" in the audio forums. The 3 connections are:

1) Engine to chasis
2) Battery to chasis
3) Tranny to chasis

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Very nice. I'd probably fry myself trying.

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
civic_rice said:
nah, they're just grounds ;)
knowing me, I'd grab the positive terminal of the battery and touch the frame.

h22dreamer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i really dont get those pics are out of focuse and i dont know what im looking at.

h22dreamer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what are those pics, where did the power wire go to. whats the reason. stuff like that i really dont get it.

h22dreamer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the last pic i just posted what am looking at ? i see the battery and the ground on the battery attoches somewhere down there.????

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im going to do a diy grounding kit soon. i heard better results if you do lineage or distributor block type of grounding kit so im choosing one of these over the oem style ground points. which one do you suggest? what type of wires are you using and how many strand count? also..i think your missing the intake manifold and alternator grounds.

mugen00

American Honda=Domestic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Can you really tell the difference???

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
grounding the engine is like grounding a amp..if its not properly grounded out..you will not get the full power. look at your stock ground wires and points, they are ugly..your not getting any gains from it, your just getting all the lost power from the poor grounding. the 2001-up have better ground wires. well from the rxs i seen, they come with good stock ground wires. i suggest using high strand count wire, 100% oxygen free copper, gold wire terminal for best results.

Blowncivic1320

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im about to do this tommorow because i got some audio cable left from wiring up my system

civic_rice

h22dreamer said:
what are those pics, where did the power wire go to. whats the reason. stuff like that i really dont get it.

I appologize, my old digi cam is complete crap, but if you open your hood, and look near your battery, and near your tranny, you'll see the ground cables I'm talking about.

EDIT: and the last picture, the negative terminal on the battery is stock. I snapped the picture before getting around to replacing it. It is replaced now.

Enjoi

coming back to cars...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Even if you don't get a slight power boost, it still looks sexy as hell.

loccusst

Experienced Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You will get good throttle response. You should also connect all of the wires to one central location.

Blowncivic1320

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just did mine and it looks way better...i didnt do all that single ground shiz i just replaced my wires with thicker ones from my stereo hookup leftovers

Enjoi

coming back to cars...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Blowncivic1320 said:
I just did mine and it looks way better...i didnt do all that single ground shiz i just replaced my wires with thicker ones from my stereo hookup leftovers

Notice any differences besides cosmetics?

vandynamics

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
umm i love the color but im used to red being hot. black being gound. im gonna do this, but with black wire instead of red. i dont like red in there. i know black looks worse. but function over fashion.