How to improve ride

soxnation steve

I'm taking my civic on a long trip from chicago to wyoming and montana. I'm looking for suggestions on how to improve the ride. From seats suspension
tires and any other comforts you can think of.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you have bad shocks, new ones might feel better. Tires and seats won't really get you anywhere.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Upgraded struts & springs can really improve overall comfort. Quality tires with a respectable sidewall profile will also contribute to a comfortable feel.

In regards to interior comfort, I cant speak for the comfort of your generation seats, but its a bit excessive to swap seats solely for one long drive if they suffice for daily usage. Hence, I suggest a simple lumbar support. I personally love the lumbar support posted below. It sells for $10-$15 in pharmacies and Bed, Bath & Beyond stores. It breathes well and is very comfortable. I drove 17 hours straight due in large part to using that same lumbar support.

If you insist on swapping seats, I can attest that 2000-2006 Honda Insight seats are very comfortable. They're pictures in my signature. You can click on the hyperlink to better view them.

Window Tints will also assist in keeping the cabin at a more comfortable temperature.The windshield also allows alow of heat penetration so you may consider using a 70%+ UV tint solely to block out heat. Do note that tinted shields are illegal in most states but if its light enough it may go unobservable.

purplehatch1

Will springs really make a big difference? I''ve often wondered if my egay spring sleeves would ride good when paired with good, adjustable struts.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Will springs really make a big difference? I''ve often wondered if my egay spring sleeves would ride good when paired with good, adjustable struts.

In your case, no. Nothing is going to help much with that cheap garbage suspension. I would recommend getting a quality set if you want improvement. You get what you pay for definitely qualifies in this case.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Any generic eBay suspension part will perform poorly. Tein springs are inexpensive and provide very comfortable ride feel. Team them with a quality inexpensive strut set, such as KYB or basic Koni struts, and you will be very satisfied. They will also last a long while so long as you dont drive like a maniac.

purplehatch1

Could you put the adjustable sleeve with the tien springs?

Any generic eBay suspension part will perform poorly. Tein springs are inexpensive and provide very comfortable ride feel. Team them with a quality inexpensive strut set, such as KYB or basic Koni struts, and you will be very satisfied. They will also last a long while so long as you dont drive like a maniac.
Also I don't see how. A spring is a spring. Or am I wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also I don't see how. A spring is a spring. Or am I wrong?
You are very wrong. If you skipped 8th grade science, there are multiple metals, some stronger than others. There are also multiple ways to forge, mix, and form metals, some of which work better than others.. Hence, there's a reason your crappy eBay springs are so cheap and why EXPERIENCED consumers constantly swear against generic eBay parts.

purplehatch1

You are very wrong. If you skipped 8th grade science, there are multiple metals, some stronger than others. There are also multiple ways to forge, mix, and form metals, some of which work better than others.. Hence, there's a reason your crappy eBay springs are so cheap and why EXPERIENCED consumers constantly swear against generic eBay parts.
Yes you are correct but even the BEST companies are not gonna use any high cost alloys when making springs. And your also correct in another way. Different metals have a different stretch coefficient. But it still seems to me that the strut will control the ride quality. Any spring will bounce. But the coefficient between metals will more than likely remain un-noticeable. Btw lol at making jokes about 8th grade science. I'm a physics major dude.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yes you are correct but even the BEST companies are not gonna use any high cost alloys when making springs. And your also correct in another way. Different metals have a different stretch coefficient. But it still seems to me that the strut will control the ride quality. Any spring will bounce. But the coefficient between metals will more than likely remain un-noticeable. Btw lol at making jokes about 8th grade science. I'm a physics major dude.
That makes this even funnier. lol! Now that we covered the 8th grade science review, dont give all the credit to the struts/shocks. No, not every company uses the same combination of high or low grade alloys, but the successful companies have better grasp of which combinations of metals and techniques are more effective and reliable than others. For example, Tein makes very good quality entry-level springs. If cheap companies knew what they have learned over many years of research and development then they too would emulate their process. Clearly, they dont.

purplehatch1

That makes this even funnier. lol! Now that we covered the 8th grade science review, dont give all the credit to the struts/shocks. No, not every company uses the same combination of high or low grade alloys, but the successful companies have better grasp of which combinations of metals and techniques are more effective and reliable than others. For example, Tein makes very good quality entry-level springs. If cheap companies knew what they have learned over many years of research and development then they too would emulate their process. Clearly, they dont.
Thus is why my car bounces like 2pacs Crown Vic. Lol. So would there be any way I could take the adjustable sleeve, trash the spring, and put the tiens on the adjustable sleeve? I still want adjustable ride height.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thus is why my car bounces like 2pacs Crown Vic. Lol. So would there be any way I could take the adjustable sleeve, trash the spring, and put the tiens on the adjustable sleeve? I still want adjustable ride height.
I wouldnt see why not, but why not splurge for better quality adjustable coilovers? Tein has a quality set-up for about $700 and they rate well according to multiple forum reviews.

purplehatch1

I've heard. And I'm unsure the model. But my buddies setup includes them and they are pretty sweet