How To: Install a Driver's Side Grab Rail

5+ Year Member
This site is great, and so helpful, I thought I might contribute my own How-To.

Been thinking of doing this for a while now, but finally got around to it. This is to install a grab rail on the driver's side. What's a grab rail? You might refer to a grab rail as something else, like a "holy s**t bar" (because when you're a passenger in your friend's car, and they're taking a turn a bit too fast, you grab onto the bar and say "Holy s**t!"). Well, according to Honda, it's a grab rail.

If you haven't used Majestic Honda's parts catalog, I recommend it. You can enter your VIN # and it will give you a list of all the parts for your car, and you can purchase them too. I used the site to find the part numbers (grab rail and 2 screws), and then ordered them from my local dealer. Cost me just a little over $11 CAD with tax. You can use your own screws if you want, as long as they fit the tread in the roof.

You can remove the grab rail on the passenger's side if you like, to get an idea how the interior lining is cut.

At first I wasn't sure if the driver's side even had the 4 necessary holes (2 screwholes, 2 guide holes), but after removing the pillar panel, I was relieved to find them there. Yay!

Tools required: hands, philips screwdriver, utility knife
Difficulty level: Easy
Time required: 30min or less

Start out by removing the driver's side panel under the steering wheel. You don't need to remove the 3rd screw on the right side, removing the 2 screws on the left side is enough.

This will allow you to remove the small panel on the side.

Removing the small panel above will allow you to remove the pillar panel hanging in the pic below. You don't have to remove it completely though.

Now you can split apart the interior from the metal roof, and get an idea where the holes are located. Use the utility knife and poke a hole from the carpeted side, aiming for the hole locations.

Cut out enough to expose both holes. As you can see, I did quite a professional job.

Do the same for the other set of holes. The ones towards the back of the car are actually higher than the ones in the front, so don't worry if they're not even. Wow, looks almost exactly like the passenger side! You can also start putting back all the panels now.

Finally, screw in the new rail.

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:welcome:
Thanks for the write up

*Moved to How-To's*

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
nice....I never noticed to see if mine has an area like that...

toplevelej

i am fresh
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just dont understand why you would install this on your driverside ?? no use?

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why did you have to pull off that little side panel? You can get the a pillar peice off w/out even touching that side dash peice....:what:

Good write up tho. :thumbs up

5+ Year Member
Why did you have to pull off that little side panel? You can get the a pillar peice off w/out even touching that side dash peice....:what:

Good write up tho. :thumbs up
I wasn't sure if the pillar panel was gonna come off with the side piece still in, so i took it out anyway. but if you say it does, then shave off about 5-10min for this project! thanks!

for those wondering why i would put this in, no real reason, just because. some place to put your hand sometimes, whatever really. it's not like i wasted a lot of time and money. since the holes are there, might as well use them. if they weren't, then obviously this how-to would be a hell of a lot more work for something not all that functional, and wouldn't be worth it since you'd have to make the holes. i could've spent 30min eating an $11 meal, but i chose to do this instead.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not a necessary part but not a terrible idea either, I think I might do it.

EKEX

5+ Year Member
They dont put those there for a reason if ur the driver you got a steering wheel to hang on too....

Bruckhoff_34

Built not baught
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
old thread lol. not trying to be mean but your car isnt an ekex..... its an ej8ex just figured i would help you out with that. might want to start a new account so you dont get flamed lol.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
old thread lol. not trying to be mean but your car isnt an ekex..... its an ej8ex just figured i would help you out with that. might want to start a new account so you dont get flamed lol.
No, it's an EJ8, which in the US is called an EX. It's not one word though.

Anyway, he's using "EK" to mean "6th gen", which is a common usage, even if it is technically wrong.

egibbs1

5+ Year Member
why? not sure of the purpose except you were really bored.... good write up for something very useless....