How To: Install a Headunit in a 6th gen (96-00.)

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How-to: Install a headunit in a 6th gen (99-00)

Original:

1. You will need to remove the bottom half of your interior (dashboard) with a phillips head screwdriver. There should be 7 screws in 3 locations.

Drivers' side (3 screws):

After:

Middle Section underneath the radio, (2 screws):

After:

Passenger side underneath the dashboard (2 screws):

Sorry for the poor quality picture. What you are looking at above is the underside of the glove compartment. There are 2 screws here, on the left side and right.

After:

2. After your remove the bottom half of your interior, you will need to remove the whole center/climate control console. This is only held by several clips located around the perimter of the unit. Use your flat heat screwdriver for any tough clips...

NOTE: In order to remove this console, you MAY need to cut the zip tie harness for the radio (in light blue). I would suggest you do this anyway, as it will make wiring the unit MUCH easier.

After:

3. I ordered my unit from Crutchfield so it came with a harness and a wiring diagram to ease installation.
It really was matching colors. Use your wire cutters/splicers to mate the matching colors together from the light blue (stock audio harness). Then cap them off ghetto style (like I did) wit electrical tape, or use the tiny caps you can purchase at Radio Shack.

4. Place your headunit in the supplied harness and trim pieces. Use all screws that came with the headunit to tighten it in the harness.
AFTER:

5. After your wiring is properly completed, the unit mounted on the harness and in the center/climate control console, TEST the unit by turning your car on. If you dont test it now, you will have to remove all the other parts again........Place center unit back into the space where it came from, snapping it back into place carefully.
AFTER: (sorry its blurry)

6.Replace all the bottom interior pieces you removed with the center console part LAST...

This project took me about 45-60 minutes. It shouldnt be more than 2 hours for ANY skill level.

If I missed anything, or you are unclear on any step, please feel free to PM me!

~Thanks for looking!

OverboostSI

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is there anyway you can scan the diagram for the wiring harness that you got from Crutchfield. That would help a lot. Thanks.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Remember this will be at least slightly different for the '96-'98 cars since our dashes don't look like that.

As for any questions: www.installdr.com

desiscrubs

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
installdr.com is my friend...i've used it many times, for the wife's accord, the pattiwagon, and the hatch...awesome directions

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yeah, with the 96-98 you really dont need to take apart the entire console.

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
okay so i was doing this today and it took forever.. i couldnt even ge the climate control out..but i maaged to take my stock cd player out.. but the adaptors do not match, any suggestions

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This How to Dosnt apply To 97 EX coupes with Keyless Entry.
Correction, it DOES work. It does not work for '96-'98 Civics that wish to retain the stock keyless entry system since the brain is in the radio.

kyle97charlie

68% right 100% of th time
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what about the dome light coming on when you open the door.

my 97 stopped doing that when i changed head units.

and my car HAD keyless entry... didn't get the remotes in the purchase..

oh well. lol

Carnivorous18

No rice, I'm a Soy Saucer
5+ Year Member
I just put in a HU a week or two ago. I have 99 EX with keyless entry and it works fine. Also the dome lights still work fine. Kyle97charlie check your bulbs in your dome light cause it should be working..