How To: install a jdm parking pole

dented

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Mods... please move this to the how to's seeing as i can't make a thread there.

FIRST OFF: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR VEHICLE IF YOU TRY THIS!

okay, i got my parking pole from icbmotorsports, and i ordered the whole kit that included everything you need for an installation.

first, you need to get into a garage, because you will be spending a lot of time on the ground.

okay, now that you're in a comfy position, take off your grill and front bumper by taking out and unbolting all of the neccessary bolts & screws(not too many). You'll need a philip's head screw driver and a 10mm wrench.

when you have the bumper off, you will notice 2 holes on the left and right side beside the middle cut-out part in your bumper..... this is where the bracket that holds your system will go...these holes will need to be threaded, but i was in luck, because i had self-threading screws that were included in the package.

after you have the bracket mounted and the system mounted, drill your hole... YOU ONLY HAVE ONCE CHANCE, so don't mess up! it should look like this afterwards, and as you can see in the pic, i had the whole system on the bracket wrong and started to drill the hole before i realized that it wouldn't work(notice the rubber stopper i put there to cover it up). this is what it SHOULD look like.

now time for the good stuff!! the wiring harness that was included had ALMOST everything needed for setup; it was missing a ground for the pole. okay, as you will notice, on your driver's side in the engine bay, there is a blocked off hole in the firewall; this is where you will run your wires through.

the wires will come out on the other side right under the in-dash fuses... like so.

and this is roughly where the plugs go inside the fuse box, they go above the fuses in the optional plugs.. sorry for the quality.. i was cramped!

after that, i ran the wires up under the dash and through my console. i grounded the wires near one of the bolts to the shift linkages. it doesn't really matter where you put the ground, as long as it's on something metal. i then ran the wires to the button up under the dash and pooped out one of the thingys that blockoff the 4 holes around your parking brake.

after i had that done, i just used the zip-ties and cleaned it up and made sure no wires were showing, and i zip-tied it to my engine's wiring harness throughout the bay so it wouldn't be in the way of anything. this is where i made the plug come out:

when you ground the pole itself, make sure that you do it to where it won't move anywhere or come off while you're driving. after you do that, make sure the system is working and put EVERYTHING back the way you took it off. I know, i know, i didnt put my grill back; i'm getting it painted so get off my back.

on a difficultiness scale.. on a 1 to 10, i woud rate this about a 3. i mean, i had no idea what i was doing when i started, but i got the hang of it as i went through, and i'm only 15. If you know what you're talking about when it comes to wiring, then it should be a 1. it just takes some time, you have to be careful and pay attention.

and here's the finished product:

i know it's not the best how to, but i'm one of the pioneers in this, so bear with me.

thank you for your time.
:shock: :shock:

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Excellent. I really did want to see a writup on this .

any particular reason why you put it on the driver side?

dented

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well, mainly because i don't have a rhd car lol. but some day, if i get a convo, i'll put it on the right side. by the time i get a rhd convo, i'll most likely have sir bumpers to rock the pole w/.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i thought they always go on the passenger side.

dented

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well, there were mounting points, so i put it on my driver's side. also, it was WAY easier to wire it up and run it through the fire wall to the fuses.

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice write-up. I've always wanted this JDM bling, it's on the bottom of my very long list.

SpeedFiends

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ahhh crap lol, I had a pic of something like this on my camera phone. It was on a car I worked on at circuit city. Was pretty nice, since the only other car I had seen it on was my friends old 240

EH2 GSR 7232

Dee Dee Dee
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That turned out looking better than I thought it would. its pretty interesting i must say

dented

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it pops up out of the bumper when you press the button. it helps you to park or to get in tight spaces.

Dont_Tri

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How does it alert you that you are close? This sounds cool I wouldn't mind doing this modification to my 99 Si. Where did you pruchase it? Much props this is nice, if only honda invented something that would warn other parkers they are approaching to close to my bumper cause man in NY people can't park. Thanks for the info

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its not a sensor, its just a pole so you can see where you car ends. it doesnt do anything except for go up and down, and i think some blink.

Danno

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Looks like it's on backwards. My wife has a LHD 00 Fiero and the bumper has an indentation for the pole so it doesn't stick out on a crazy looking angle. Are you sure you installed it correctly? Is the rubber/crome gasket facing the right way?

dented

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes, i installed it pretty much the only way that i could get it to work. i know it looks a bit crooked, but i did my best lol. so.... is anyone going to move this for me?

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the write up, Moved to How-To's... sorry for the delay, I've been busy at work.

For now its in the Electronics how-to's but i may move it or get it moved to exterior.... havent decided yet because its a little of both

ShinsenTuner

CC's Youngest OG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Danno said:
Looks like it's on backwards. My wife has a LHD 00 Fiero and the bumper has an indentation for the pole so it doesn't stick out on a crazy looking angle. Are you sure you installed it correctly? Is the rubber/crome gasket facing the right way?

this is what i meant... its not straight... the others i've seen are straight. yours is like

\ \
..\ \
....\ \
......\ \

LOL.

dented

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
actually... i looked at it today... straight on from the side like in the pic above... it's straight. i was behind it and beside it when i took pics... i'll get some better ones tomorrow showing what i'm talking about.

mule

5+ Year Member
hey it looks nice, does the tip of it light up? it is a different color and i couldnt tell if it was a bulb on the top or not.

nice write up.