How To: install an amp in an EJ/EK civic

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Alright guys so this is my first write up I’ve ever done, thought I would help fellow ClubCivic members out since I’ve always turned to you guys when I’m in car trouble. Please feel free to PM me or comment if I made any errors (shouldn’t be any).

Just a reminder that I do not personally take ANY responsibility for any damage you do to your vehicle, this write-up is just a walk-through and it’s up to you to decide if you’re capable of doing it.

How to install an amp in an EJ/EK civic

Materials needed:
I encourage you to get your stuff from this dude:http://www.ebay.ca/itm/STREETWIRES-4-GA-4-GAUGE-HIGH-END-AMP-KIT-100-OFC-/290313079593?pt=US_Car_Audio_Video_Amplifier_Kits&hash=item4398020b29
I've gone to him for each and every single one of my installs and the quality of his gear is incomparable to pre-packaged kits & I always get my orders fast (4-6 days to Canada from illinois, US)

Aftermarket radio installed
Amplifier (Preferably a “D-class mono amp” as they are designed to power subs more efficiently)
Battery terminals
Proper gauge wire for setup
Remote turn-on wire (At the very least 16 feet)
Wire strippers
Sand paper or wire brush attachment+drill
Fuse holder & fuse (You have a choice between AGU or ANL fuses/holders. ANL are typically for more serious systems, Check pic.)
RCA wires
Battery lugs (I used screw-on ring terminals...because they are a billion times faster)
Speaker wire (18 gauge or so..)

Step 1
Remove rear seats from the car, I will not be covering it since it’s pretty basic stuff. There should be MANY write ups on it, so do a quick Google search.

Step 2
Remove battery tie-down, battery, and battery tray

Step 3

Cut about a 1-foot length of your wire, this will run from your positive battery terminal to the fuse holder. The fuse should always be within 2 feet of the battery to prevent surges of power to be let through your wire and cause damage (burning/melting)

***Remove the fuse temporarily until you are done the full install, YOU DON’T WANT ANY SURPRISES.***

Step 4
Pull off rubber grommet from firewall (Pic)

Step 5
Run the wire through the opening and direct it downward, it will end up located behind the heater core/blower motor on the passenger side. This will take some time as it gets caught on the firewall insulation a lot and kinks, take your time and pass it through slowly, if it feels like it doesn’t wanna go, pull it back a little bit and try again in a different angle.

Step 6
Run the wire under the carpet and under the side plastic panel along the passenger side & up the side of the rear seat.

Step 7 (Not mandatory, but extra tip to make it clean and professional ;) )
Take a piece of wood, about the same size your AMP (just big enough for the amp mounting holes to fit on it) doesn’t have to be too thick, maybe1/2 or 1/3 inch at most & remove the push-in tabs on the carpet on the back of the seat. Screw the piece of wood onto the metal bracket, and re-install the carpet, push-in tabs.
Now, mount the Amp onto the wood covered by the carpet so it’s vertical and the side with the wire terminals are facing down.
***Make sure you mount the amp high up, as the plastic trim will be in the way otherwise, an alternative is to mount it to the adjacent fold-down seat***

Step 8
Run your power wire from the front of the car to the “+” on the amp

Step 9
Cut another separate 3-4 foot long piece of wire and insert one end into a battery lug and screw it into the chassis of the car (make sure you either sand or scratch down the surface your are screwing it to provide better conductivity, as all surfaces of the chassis are painted to prevent rust), and run the other end into the “–” terminal of the amp.
Tuck all wires under the carpet, if you want you can get extra fancy and run the wires up vertically and cut small holes right beside the terminals so they are only visible just adjacent to the terminals.

Step 10
Connect the RCA cables to the back of your aftermarket deck, and secure a length of about 16-17 feet of remote turn-on wire to the appropriate wire found on your harness that was used to connect the aftermarket deck to the OEM plug.

Step 11
You can either run the RCAs and the remote turn-on down the center of the car by removing the center console (roughly 8 screws) or again down the passenger or driver side plastic panel.
Personally, my first time I decided to run it down the centre, because I didn’t have a wonderful write up like this and cut my remote wire too short and used the rest elsewhere, and running it directly down the center was the shortest distance.... soo yeah don’t be conservative with the length.

Step 12
Connect the wires to the appropriate terminals on the amp, - to -, + to +, remote to remote.

Step 13
Cut roughly ~2' of speaker wire then connect one end to your amp, and attach the other end to your subwoofers (the ~2' feet of wire is just to make it easy to pull out your subs and unplug - if necessary)

Step 14

Re-install battery tray, battery, battery tie-down & battery terminals. Then reinsert the fuse into the fuse holder

Step 15
Turn ignition to “ACC” and check that the amp turns on properly, if it does, proceed to step 16, if not, check your ground wire, power wire & fuse.

Step 16

Wreak havoc on your neighbors with your civic :headbang:

Enjoy :D
Happy modding ClubCivic!

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Looks good. +1 for not stringing the power lines from the battery all the way over to the "more common" firewall opening on the driver side. My brother's car is like that and it drives me crazy to look at an ugly red cable across his otherwise stock engine bay.

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice write up

Sedan Life Member #5
Thanks!

Looks good. +1 for not stringing the power lines from the battery all the way over to the "more common" firewall opening on the driver side. My brother's car is like that and it drives me crazy to look at an ugly red cable across his otherwise stock engine bay.
Thank you, yeah that always bugs me, if anything get some black wire loom and cover it, seriously it looks a lot more "quiet" and clean

scloutkst2889

Your write-up is pretty good bud, but hoping you might be able to help me out a little more. Would greatly appreciate it. I am attempting to run my 4 AWG power wire through the grommet in the firewall that you have depicted. Only problem is that I can't see where the hell the wire is supposed to come out inside of the car under the dash. If you could provide me with a more detailed description of where this is under the passanger side of the dash or even provide a picture, I would be infinitely grateful.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Really?

Just push the wire though then get in the car and see where it is coming out...

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Your write-up is pretty good bud, but hoping you might be able to help me out a little more. Would greatly appreciate it. I am attempting to run my 4 AWG power wire through the grommet in the firewall that you have depicted. Only problem is that I can't see where the hell the wire is supposed to come out inside of the car under the dash. If you could provide me with a more detailed description of where this is under the passanger side of the dash or even provide a picture, I would be infinitely grateful.
Hey! Sorry for the late response, it's exam time in uni so I haven't checked this thread.
make sure you pass the insulation (that multi-coloured brownish material behind the opening), there will be a circular opening already cut in the insulation itself from factory to allow wiring. Otherwise the wire will constantly get trapped between the firewall and the insulation.

The wire should come down in this general area, you have to lie down and look upwards on the passenger side behind the glove box, it will eventually appear

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
This was a good write up i went other route when i did mine and had ugly wire running across lol. I also had remote hooked up to fuse panel

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This was a good write up i went other route when i did mine and had ugly wire running across lol. I also had remote hooked up to fuse panel
Thank you, haha yeah I have a couple of buddies that were thinking of doing that, so rather than me having to do 10+ installs i thought I'd throw up a concise write up for the CC community to share a few little tricks I found while doing mine :thumbs up