Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
*** I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR THIS WRITEUP!!!! ****

http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=4316908&an=0&page=1

Kenny (Trixiem) and myself decided to pick up a set of the JDM EK9 sidemarkers from ICB Motorsport in Temple City.
ICB Motorsport Homepage

We printed out a template and used guidelines from this site:

[url="http://www.goosse.streetracing.org/photo4.html]Template and Tips for Sidemarker cutting[/url]

The person on the site mentioned they cut the hole smaller than the template, but we found that the template was an exact fit leaving the notch alone and simply following the lines to cut the holes.

The template we followed:

Here is the placement on the fender, 155 mm from the top of the molding to the bottom of the tape and 140 mm from the edge of the door to the edge of the tape.

We then found the center of the intersection, which is where the exact center of the sidemarker:

We then found the center of the template and lined up the two over each other and taped it down.

A drill was used to make the initial hole, then we used a "Metal Nibbler" from RadioShack ($12.99):

(This thing was awesome, and it cut very precisely, even though it took awhile, probably better than using a dremel.)

Getting started on the fender (EEEEEP!). I look scared in that picture. Poor fender.

"T" is for Tony!!

The final hole:

After cutting the hole, add place some touch up paint on the bare metal to help prevent rust. We also plan to get a rubber ring to create a tight seal around the sidemarker or use plumber's putty to help it.
Kenny wiring up the sidemarkers:

There are two wiring options. USDM (Sidemarker only blinks when turn signal is on) or JDM (Sidemarkers stay on and blink alternately with the signal). Pull back the fender liner and remove the corner/parking light. There will be 3 wires going to the bulb. Tap into the corresponding wires for each blinking style.

USDM:
Tap into green(turn signal) and black(ground) wire.
JDM:
Tap into red(parking light) and green(turn signal) wire.

Sidemarker is in!

Installed sidemarkers on our cars:

Practice fender we had before we started:

Practice fender after a hard day of work:

That's about it folks. Hope this is helpful to you all. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

HotFireCivic04

4Dr Pimpin
5+ Year Member
Looks easier than I thought! Ill post some example pics for ya when I get around to doin this.

EGlude Attitude

All Motor Militia
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yea, I installed my sidemarkers on the USDM fenders myself.

One suggestions though, dremel tool cuts the hole in about 1 minute.:lol:

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what was wrong with that vsm fender? i so couldve used it...

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You could use a dented up fender? The whole front of it is dented to hell. I see nothing proving that it was the clean one in the pic. I think that likely was just an example photo of a car with a sidemarker. Looks like it might have even been a '99-'00 fender. So unless you're doing a front end conversion... :what:

cole

holding monster
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ive used this write up on my coupe and hatch, worked wonders. the only problem i found is that if your not carful with that nibbler youll have like dint ripples surrounding the sidemarker form using it. also if you dont have a practice fender go to your local hardwhere store and pick up a 5"x5" or similer size peice of brass to practice on.

dj_audio

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Any guesse's how much it would cost if you had a shop professionally install em? Im only wondering to decide if its worth risking f**king up your fender or if its just easier to have a shop do it cheap.

ikillradio

and a 40 day bump to ask if anyone knows if you have to buy the additional wiring kit or is it easy to tap into the socket.

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ikillradio said:
and a 40 day bump to ask if anyone knows if you have to buy the additional wiring kit or is it easy to tap into the socket.
nope dont buy anything lol

i got a couple femal connectors from autozone and used an old dc phone power cord for wires.... :thumup:

BlackHopeDC5

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dj_audio said:
Any guesse's how much it would cost if you had a shop professionally install em? Im only wondering to decide if its worth risking f**king up your fender or if its just easier to have a shop do it cheap.
o and it is really not worth it having a professional do it unless you are really bad with your car.. I went around for like an entire day and i was getting prices like 150- 200

i literally said f**k this s**t im gonna do it myself and was done in an hour.... and i was watching a movie while i did it :word:

CivicEX13

CC's Valve Cover Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i did mine at first in my stock fenders...but i had some problems with rust on my stocks from when i repaired them a while back so i went out and bought the password jdm ones but it is mad easy to do your own

boosted-cx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
okay, i get everything except the wiring. now, if i was to do this, i could use a house phone power cord? is there any positive/negative wiring? please help me out on this. THANKs.

BlackHopeDC5

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i was just saying that wire is wire.... i just cut some wire from an old dc power cord, stripped the ends and viola..... same wire that you find in the store

go to autozone and buy wire... im just cheap

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
BlackHope121 said:
i was just saying that wire is wire.... i just cut some wire from an old dc power cord, stripped the ends and viola..... same wire that you find in the store

go to autozone and buy wire... im just cheap
I just used some random speaker wire that i had laying around my house...any wire will w0rk tho.

ikillradio

i got a nibbler for like $4 at radio shack $$$$$$, but I'm working on a 98 fender (for practice) and the measurements seem kinda off, (from the door, and from the top of the molding), i'm using the same kind of tape, any tips?

BAMA4792

5+ Year Member
where can i get a template for an eg coupe to do this because i am having a hard time finding it

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you can use the same template.