How To: Install GSR Cluster into a Civic, 6th gen Cluster in 5th gen.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I was doing the conversion of putting a gsr cluster into my 99 civic. I read over the sticky on the how to here on club civic. But after following the wiring diagram that was provided by the sticky on CC, I had two wires left over after I repinned everything. I was curious to know what these two wires were and if I could still use them. It was obvious they were used with the stock cluster so why not with the gsr cluster? After researching a little bit I came across this How-To on Honda-tech. It's awesome and tells exactly what to look for and how to wire the cluster in correctly. I take no claim for this write up but, that I found it.

BlueIntegraBoy said:
I am tired of people asking where they can get diagrams to wire or repin an Integra cluster into their Civics. I took my time and searched the different wiring diagrams. I made my own diagrams for easy use. I made two diagrams for each 92-95 Civics and 96-00 Civics due to the different Integra clusters (94-97 and 98-01). I also included a diagram to wiring a 96-00 Civic cluster into a 92-95 Civic. Use at your own risk, I won't be responsible if your clusters go wacky.

NOTE: JDM Integra Type-R clusters will work with these diagrams. Make sure you know which spec cluster you have. 96 Spec will have a catalytic converter icon near the CEL and the 98 Spec do not. Use the 94-97 Integra diagram for 96 Spec and 98-01 Integra diagram for 98 Spec.

ANOTHER NOTE: To tell the difference between a 94-97 and 98-01 clusters is that the 94-97 clusters have grey gauge faces while the 98-01 clusters have black gauge faces. Also, 94-97 clusters have the seatbelt, door ajar, and SRS lights in the upper right light grouping, whle the 98-01 clusters have door ajar, ABS, and SRS in the upper right light grouping.

EXAMPLE: 96 Spec Integra Type-R Cluster

94-97 Integra cluster into a 92-95 Civic

98-01 Integra cluster into a 92-95 Civic

94-97 Integra cluster into a 96-00 Civic

98-01 Integra cluster into a 96-00 Civic

96-00 Civic cluster into a 92-95 Civic

Integra/Civic (96-00) Plug - 16 pin (A & C designation)

Integra/Civic (96-00) Plug - 13 pin (B & D designation)

Civic (92-95) Plug - 12 pin (A designation)

Civic (92-95) Plug - 10 pin (B designation)

Rewiring SRS Plug (works for 92-00 Civics)

Below is a picture of a Civic SRS plug. Notice that when the clip part is facing down, the yellow wire is of the left if the plug is facing away from you. The blue wire is one the right if the plug is facing away from you. You can use your Civic SRS plug with the Integra cluster. All you need to do is cut the yellow and blue wires and switch them (connect yellow to blue, and blue to yellow). So if this was an Integrs SRS plug, the yellow wire would be on the right, while the blue wire will be on the left; the plug again facing away from you and the clip part on the bottom.

If you do have an Integra SRS plug, you cut off the Civic SRS plug and color match the wires from the Civic harness. This note is at the bottom of the 96-00 Civic diagrams.

Those with cruise control (LX/EX/Si)

To get the cruise control light to work, all you need to do is cut off the cruise control wire (red/blue) from the green plug and reconnect it with a wire that won't be used on the Integra cluster. For EKs, you can depin the pink wire (washer fluid), cut the wire leaving the metal pin and some wire left, reconnect it with the cruise control wire, and repin into the cruise control slot on the Integra plug. Your cruise control light will now light up when engaged.

Repinning a 96-00 Civic for an Integra cluster

The repinning process will only work on EK Civics because they use the same plugs as Integras. The EG wire pins are too large to fit into the EK Civic/Integra cluster plugs.

1. Get a medium sized safety pin. Large enough to be sturdy so it doesn't bend when trying to remove the wire and small enough to fit inside the pinhole.

2. On the left side of the plug, you will see a white clip. Use the safety pin and push it in to unclip it from the blue plug. If it breaks, it is ok; these clips break easy.

3. On the right side, there's another white clip. Do the same thing as you did in the second step.

4. In the middle of the blue plug, there's a small hook to attaches to the white piece. Take the safety pin and push that hook down. You should hear a 'click'.

5. Now, use your fingers and remove the top white piece. You will have to lift up the blue plug bridge on the top because the white piece has ridges that you have to clear. Once you attempt to remove it, you will know what I am talking about.

6. Now the bottom piece can slide out. You might need to use the safety pin to push that piece out. With this piece removed, you can now remove the wires from each pinhole.

7. Here are the two white pieces are removed. As you can see I broke one of the white clips. Again, the clips won't affect the wiring at all. I happened to removed these plugs from a Civic at a junkyard and it rains a lot here making the plastic brittle.

8. Look inside one of the pinholes. You will see more small hooks just like the one you seen in step 4. Take your little safety pin tool and insert it into the pinhole and try to push the hook down while pulling the wire gently. You have to wedge the pintip between the top of the plastic hook and the bottom of the metal wire pin. The wire will slide out when you have done it right. Remember a larger safety pin will make this step a little more difficult.

9. Here is a picture of one of the wires removed. Now that you know how to remove the wires, following the above diagrams and repin. The wires will slide back into the pinhole. Give the wire a little tug to make sure the wires are in there firmly. Good luck!

Putting an Integra cluster or 96-00 Civic cluster into a 92-95 Civic

Unlike the Integra cluster and 96-00 Civic cluster, the 92-95 Civic cluster plugs are completely different. You will not be able to repin the plugs. You will need to cut off the Integra/96-00 Civic cluster plugs leaving at least 5 inches of wire. If you have 96-00 Civic plugs and putting in an Integra cluster, you will need to repin the wires on the plug according to the Integra plug pinout. Vice versa if you have Integra plugs and swapping in a 96-00 Civic cluster. Now, you need to cut off the 92-95 Civic cluster plugs from your harness. Finally, you match the wires from the harness to the wires coming out of the Integra/96-00 Civic plug as in the diagram and connect them either by solder or butt connectors.

Results

Here are two pictures of my work in two EKs. Of course they won't have the best fitment, but close enough. I used pipe strapping to hold up the cluster, without it, there will be an even larger gap at the top. There will be a small gap at the top due to the cluster sitting further back from the gauge bezel.

Pipe Strapping

3/4" Pipe Strapping. I cut two pieces maybe 1.5-2" in length leaving the 2 small and 2 larges holes in tact. With the small hole to the edge, I trimmed a little of the two sharp corners so that the piece of strap can swivel to get a good mounting angle. Without the trimming, the piece will not be able to swivel. Using a small bolt and nut, the piece of strap is mounted to the cluster holes. Next, with the large hole at one end, I trimmed the outside corner when looking at the piece. Now, using screws, screw in the two pieces of pipe strapping to the screw locations.

Great Source To Wire An S2000 Cluster Into 92-00 Civics and 94-01 Integras
http://www.dscustoms.com/s2000cluster.htm

Modified by BlueIntegraBoy at 9:20 PM 6/13/2006

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Cool

xzodiackillerx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
on the 98-01 gsr cluster in a 96-00 civic change A2 to D7 and A12 to D8 leave D6 empty or your temp gauge will not work and tach will jump all over

denracho

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
can you just tap the wire? instead of repinning them?

SickEk

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i just did mine this saturday and I soldered all of the connections. I followed this guide and it worked out real good. I had no problems whatsoever. Here is a couple pics of the gauges in the cluster. By the way I mounted them a little different than this how to did.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

95 modified

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I saw your post about rewiring the gauge cluster from a acura integra. I have one that looks like the one you posted about but it has racing on one of the meters. I don't have the plugs yet though. Let me know if it matters weather or not i get stick or auto plugs. I got an auto 92 civic. thanks.

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't have the plugs yet though. Let me know if it matters weather or not i get stick or auto plugs. I got an auto 92 civic. thanks.
You'll need to get 96-00 civic or 94-01 integra plugs. Our 5th gen plugs are way different.

H22Ej1

5+ Year Member
saw this on ht...gonna do a ek to eg swap does nyone have pics of the cluster installed?

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I know that blackhope did it to his Sedan, you might be able to find some pics if you search for his threads.

honda98civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i just did mine and it works great. it took me about 30 min to take everything out and repin all the wires. i did it all without cutting allthe wires. i sweated balls and did it inside my car. its far less work even though u have very little space to work with. then it took me bout 10 min to fit the pipe straping to the cluster. i absolutly love the cluster. and it seems my gas needle dosent jump all over the place anymore. it moves a little but not like it used to. great writeup.

CrazyEM1

5+ Year Member
I just did this and it worked, but the gas gauge didn't work. I went to go get some gas to see if it would move and when I turned the car back on everything went dead except the high beam light, turn signals, and backlights for the cluster....what happened? No fuses are blown and now everything wont work!!! AHHH