How To: Install OEM Tweeters On A 94 DX 2 Door.

CivicDX94

5+ Year Member
How To: Install OEM Tweeters On A 94 DX 2 Door

What you need is:
- OEM Tweeter kit, I have item # 085A55-SR3-100 (I don't think it really matters which OEM tweets you have, but in case you wonder about which model I have)
- 2 1/2 round saw. The ones that are mounted on a drill
- Electrical tape
- A small metal hook
- Phillips screwdriver
- Electtrical pliers
- Large flat screwdriver or anything that can work to wegde the door panel off
- Masking or Duct tape

This are the little guys I installed

I got the whole kit so they came with their harnesses

Step #1
Remove the door panel, it has been shown several times how to remove the door panel, so I didn't bother to take detailed pics. If you still don't know how to remove the panel just remove the door pocket/handle, the plastic moding around the door lock (phillips screwdriver), the plastice screw on the top, and for manual windows remove the cranking handle by removing first the clip inside of it first. You wll need th metal hook for that. Once you remove all that, use the large flat screwdrives to remove the door panel. Insert the flat tool to pull the plastic retainers off the door.
And then we end up with this:

Step #2
Now that the panel is off, we have to think where are we mounting the tweets, I personally marked the 2 o'clock spot from the door lock hole. Then we grab the drill with the 2 1/2 inch and make the hole on the door panel. NOW PLEASE NOTE that the size of the saw depends on the size of your tweets. Always remember to make the biggest size hole as long as your tweets fully cover it. You don't want the whole to be bigger than your tweets spwakers. And you want the biggest whole possible so that you have more room to work with. I ssaved the hole piece for later use. Once the hole is made, it is going to look like this:

Step #3
Now we have to remove not only the speaker from the door but also the frame in which the speaker mounts.

Step #4
Now is you have OEM speakers, then you should have a harness where to connect the tweeter harness. If you are like me and don't have OEM speakers, then that means that you don't have a harness clip where to connect.

So what I did was to undo the connection in the rubber "sleves" and ended up with this:

Step #5
Now I decided to save the tweeter's harness intact so instead of cutting the harness at the clips, I inserted the wires in the corresponding clips and also plugged the speakers to make sure they worked. Somebody told me that if I had built in tweeters on my speakers, then I should disconnect them and then connect the other tweets. Since the tweets I'm installing are OEM and have the harness, I founded out that it wasn't necesary to unplug the built-in tweets. And ended up with something like this:

Step #6
Once I was sure that it worked, I taped the connections w/ the electrical tape and made a hole on the plastic lining to run the tweeter's harness:

Step # 7
Back to the door panel. To hold the tweets in place I did it in a lazy way, I used the hole pieces to hold the tweeter in place and then used masking tape over it to hold them in place.

Since I had off the panels, I took the time to detail clean both panels with Simple Green and a upholstory cleaner. I made sure to scrub the SG in circles with a medium brush to get rid of all that dirt that accumulated for 11 years in the cracks of the vinyl ( they can't tell me that is real leather) and finish them off with armor-all.

Step# 8
Reverse the instructions to put it all back together and voila! The final work is shown:

This last shot really shows how shiny and clean the pannels are now. Remember, Simple Green is your friend. :D