How To: Install Skunk2 Shifter w/ Shift Bushings

stolibears

Use your dipstick Jimmy!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I tried that but I am having problems with the rounded lip part when i try to push it in. Do you just jam that sucker in or do you like squeeze the lip abit and squeeze at same time. Also does vasaline work?
vasaline should work, even just soapy water...you could probably spit on it if you're desperate. Once you get past the lip part, it just slides in.

edit: as long as the whole thing is lubed up with something, you can be as forcefull as you want and should be ok. The lube is to help get it where it's supposed to go and prevent it from tearing (which I doubt would happen, but always err on the side of caution).

jonazhan

5+ Year Member
i need a help, i have 98 honda civic ex vetec with modified air intake. last year i drove into iced water pot hole, my engine shut down right away. Just last month, i bought a JDM engine which year unknown, but has an indication of ZC on the front engine block, the seller told me it is a 1996-2000 Honda civic ZC Vetec from Japan, :?:and it fits right in my civic EX:?:. I brought it home compare with the engine that i have with the EX, it matches pretty good, the only difference is that it says Honda on my civic engine block, and VETEC on the ZC. Do you think it will swap easily or fits exactly? I don't know much about fixing cars, nor swap it from other engine, i just want to have same engine, that can install it easier

2nd question, I currently unable to remove one of the extension rod from my tranny,

devo1104

5+ Year Member
2nd question, I currently unable to remove one of the extension rod from my tranny,

what do you mean? there is a bolt that you have to undo. if it is too tight, use a breaker bar (it is a bar that hooks up to a socket; it is like a ratchet only it doesnt ratchet) if that doesnt work, hit it with a hammer until it loosens

quick story: my uncle had a 60 something 911 and his mechanic took a 10lb mallet to the underside of it because the engine stopped. after that it worked.

moral: sometimes all you need is a little force.

EK1.6LCIV

bustin' out the OEM goodz
5+ Year Member
thank you very much for writing up this thread, love it :D

EK1.6LCIV

bustin' out the OEM goodz
5+ Year Member
also, will my efforts be adversly affected if I dont install new bushings? as I cbfed waiting for a month for stuff from the USA atm, lol

has anyone else reused the old bushings?

ChanMan11

Ferrari F1 Fanatic
5+ Year Member
[*] I went to Lowes and picked up 4 washers that would fit on the new shifter. 2 of them were slightly wider. I put the nut on the bottom (that came with the shifter) one large washer, 2 of the smaller ones, and then another large washer. I then test fit the shifter knob on to make sure the number went the right way.

[*]put the shift boot on, inside out and put the new zip ties around the washers where the 2 smaller ones are. This way the tie will tighten down on these, and the two larger ones on either side will prevent the boot from slipping off.
how were you able to get the lock nut to screw down to the bottom of the shifter ?

I bought a replica CTR shift knob but the lock nut that came with it won't screw down all the way. After about two turns it wont go any farther. The shift knob screws on fine without the lock nut but then the shift pattern on the knob is upside down etc. Help Please ?

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm in the middle of doing this now...just gotta put in the donut bushing and i didn't know if it just pushed out or what.

This definitely helped out. :thumbsup:

barcafan_84

jdmfan_84
5+ Year Member
damn i need to buy the bushing to do this, i bought the sunk2 dual ss and a mugen lil ass knob, now i need the bushing to get dirty with this great write up!

RHennin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Seeing this install thread reminds me. I have a Skunk 2 dual bend shifter and it rubs like hell against my exhaust. When I installed it, iirc the shifter wouldn't really work properly, b/c the exhaust was pushing like hell against the shift linkage. I removed the one exhaust hanger adjacent the the shifter and it helped, but the shifter still vibrates like hell at certain speeds when I'm driving. Any suggestions? Not sure how I could move the exhaust out of the way. Would rather not spend money on a new exhaust or do anything excessive.

stolibears

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
how were you able to get the lock nut to screw down to the bottom of the shifter ?

I bought a replica CTR shift knob but the lock nut that came with it won't screw down all the way. After about two turns it wont go any farther. The shift knob screws on fine without the lock nut but then the shift pattern on the knob is upside down etc. Help Please ?
Mine didn't come with a lock nut so I just picked up a regular nut with the flat side at Lowes.

stolibears

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Bump for my question.
Mine doesn't rub, but but when I corner, something rubs/touches and I hear it vibrate against the underside. I've got an apexi world sport exhaust and was thinking of taking the car in to a muffler shop to have them fit it properly. I've heard great things about having a muffler shop weld some custom pipe so you don't get any extra rubbing/vibration against the car.

leftlaneb*tch

Banned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
5. This step is specific to the SKunk2 Dual bend shifter, with the bolt that you get, it comes with 2 washers that I installed with it inserted in the bearing. I'm still checking with Skunk2 to make sure this is correct.
EDIT: 02/16/07 got an email from Skunk2 that this is the correct way for this bolt.

Can you please help me?

I went to install my Skunk2 Dual Bend Shifter lastnight, but ran into problems during this step in the photos you showed above^^^

It shows you inserting the 2 washers in the bearing effortlessly, but I was having a hard time getting it in there. In fact, it was just not going in. I thought about lubing it up and tapping it in, but decided against it.

I ended up googling images, before I wrote you and discovered some pictures of the product.

Now, I have a Dual Bend shifter, but the hardware looks like it's for Single Bend.

Basically, I have the shifter in the FIRST photo, but the hardware shown in the SECOND photo.

But I notice that you have the same washers as shown in the Single Bend, so no I am really confused if I got the wrong hardware included in my order or if those photos are depicted wrong, or what.

Could you please help me, my car is on jackstands right now and I can't move it because I can't get those washers in and I am not looking forward to un-installing all of it and putting my old stuff back on.

Please help, would DEEPLY appreciate any input /advice, THANK YOU!!

leftlaneb*tch

Banned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bump for a resolution...

I am basically having the same problem as this guy, except he decided to not even include the washers, he had no idea they were even supposed to fit into the bearing:

http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=16693

The included hardware:

As you can see, he couldn't fit the washers into the bearing:

I looked at more pics, I think I do have the correct hardware, I think that shop just took the wrong pics.

Can someone please help me, the car is still in the air--- Need to get it running ASAP

THANK YOU :D :oops:

leftlaneb*tch

Banned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well, I took my own pics of the problem.

This is as far as the washers will go inside the bearing, on both sides.

Other photo is of the actual hardware.

Someone on the Integra Forums is saying that the washer comes in 2 different sizes?

I am currently talking to Chris at Skunk2 about this.

stolibears

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sorry for the late reply, just have my computer rebuilt and just now getting back on here. Did you get any where with Chris at Skunk2?

Those washers were definitely a tight fit but they did slide in with some pressure. I had to also email Skunk2 about it and when I showed them the pics, they said it looked right.

leftlaneb*tch

Banned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hi stolibears, well, as you can see from my pics, those washers were not fitting at all... After emailing back-and-forth with Chris for 2 days, they came to an abrupt end after he requested I measure the bore of the bearing & the outer diameter of the washers. I supplied him with measurements using a ruler (that was the only instrument I have available), he then requested I take measurements with dial calipers. I don't have dial calipers!! After I tell him I don't have dial calipers, he stopped corresponding. Pretty much left me hanging.
Earlier, he had mentioned that he has some extra hardware there, but doesn't want to waste money on shipping if it is hardware I already have. Honestly, this really pissed me off, because as a Skunk2 customer, I would assume that helping the customer, regardless of a couple of dollars on shipping, would be the primary concern, but obviously they don't really give a s**t. I am thinking about writing a complaint.
I asked my boyfriend about the washers and he said that Skunk2 includes all of that hardware in their kit, because they assume that all civics D & B series are all the same and that it is up to the customer's discretion to use the appropriate washers, i.e. not using some of the included washers.

I ended up not using those washers that would not fit and just used smaller washers I found laying in my garage. So far, there has not been any problems with the shifter itself and how I currently have it set-up right now, but I am still pissed that they didn't send me the ones that fit, as you apparently have in your write-up...

Thanks a lot for your reply and your pictures in the write-up, it really helped me out.

stolibears

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
wow, that really sucks about the lack of customer support on their end. The whole point of a "bolt on" part is that you don't have to customize the parts to make them fit; making you find a peice to make it work. I'm glad you did end up finding something that would work though.