How To: Interior Leak Repair

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OK. I have had a boot leak for months now, and it's been driving me up the wall. So far I have found four seperate area which water can (and has) entered the boot area. Hopefully I have plugged all the holes now, and this information will help everyone else find where they are leaking from.

First (and most obvious) is the sunroof drain hose's. They are clear plastic tubes running down each side and the slot into rubber linkages which allow the water to drain outside the car. There is one each side of the car.

Next is the rubber boot seal. Mine was loose and not sealing properly so i sealed it with silicone sealant all round.

Thirdly, does your bumper look like this:

If so, you may have a leak because the clip is broken.

I just covered the whole thing in sealant (and hope for the best!)

Lastly, I found that water was getting in through a leaky join near the filler cap. Again I filled it with sealant and will hope for the best. This one was a bit messy, but I will clean it up later.

I used unibond roof and gutter sealant for this, though any sillicone should be OK.

Hope this helps everyone who has a leak. If I find any more I will update this thread.

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Great post bro...............!!!!!! Im sure people will find this useful!

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, my trunk is leaking on my '00 Si and I get water in my spare tire well. Cant find where the damn leak is though and its pissing me off!!!!! When I get home I'll be sure to check around, I only get water in my trunk when my car is parked and not when I'm driving so I dont understand why.... you would think it would be the other way around.

johno590

f**k thieves
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Same here, I got leaks in my trunk and up front, near passanger side door where it meets the fender, but its on the interior, I still haven't had a chance to take that all apart and see where its coming from... I did a little bit a silicone in the trunk but I obviously have to do more because its still leaking...

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
John, where did you think your leak was from? With the trunk leak did it just go stright into the bottom of your spare tire well?

red4

VW in the house...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
good post. i siliconed part of my trunk lid seal, but i think i need to do more, because it is still leaking. i think there might even be a spot in the lid itself where water is coming in, maybe around the taillights?

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Damn, I feel fortunate that my 96 doesn't have any leaks.

fgraciano1980

keepin' it clean!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lonewolf said:
OK. I have had a boot leak for months now, and it's been driving me up the wall. So far I have found four seperate area which water can (and has) entered the boot area. Hopefully I have plugged all the holes now, and this information will help everyone else find where they are leaking from.

First (and most obvious) is the sunroof drain hose's. They are clear plastic tubes running down each side and the slot into rubber linkages which allow the water to drain outside the car. There is one each side of the car.

Next is the rubber boot seal. Mine was loose and not sealing properly so i sealed it with silicone sealant all round.

Lastly, I found that water was getting in through a leaky join near the filler cap. Again I filled it with sealant and will hope for the best. This one was a bit messy, but I will clean it up later.

I used unibond roof and gutter sealant for this, though any sillicone should be OK.

Hope this helps everyone who has a leak. If I find any more I will update this thread.
What did u remove to get to the hoses in the trunk?

red4

VW in the house...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
fgraciano1980 said:
What did u remove to get to the hoses in the trunk?
the carpeting. pull back the carpet, and they are right there.

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Can a mod please make this a sticky? This is asked way to much...

x007den

New User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i will add it to the sticky thread :thumbup:

Honduhboy

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's funny cause my bumper doesn't look like that and this clip isnt broken but yet water still comes thru that little clip area :x

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've checked all area's, siliconed the clips and connected the drain hoses and yet water still... any more ideas for where water could get in? my trunk seal is mint and the gas cap look good....

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honduhboy said:
It's funny cause my bumper doesn't look like that and this clip isnt broken but yet water still comes thru that little clip area :x
:what: Cover it in silicone and it'll be water proof. Maybe there is a design flaw with that clip because so many leak there.

Honduhboy said:
I've checked all area's, siliconed the clips and connected the drain hoses and yet water still... any more ideas for where water could get in? my trunk seal is mint and the gas cap look good....
Best thing to do is to fold down the rear seats, get a mate to look into the boot with a torch while you spray a hose over the car (or vice versa). You should be able to locate where the water is leaking in this way.

Sorry, apart from that I can't help you.

When you find it, if you let me have some pics, i'll add them to the above list.

SiRcivic27

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've tried that... but I guess I'll try it again on Sunday when I get back from St. Louis. Just another thing to add to my list or stuff to do on sunday with the car.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lonewolf said:

You also might have caused your rear window glass to become slightly unset from the car if yyour bumper looks like this.

I would imagine that more than likely water does not come in through that clip though. I have more faith in Honda's engineers than that.

3rdCoast

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
check ur tail lights, u wouldnt believe where u can get water through a leak in ur tailights tighten them down, and check the gaskets on them.... If u have subs in the car the bass can make them lose......