How To: Interior Painting 101

gummer

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what if I only use the Duplicolor paint? cuz I can't find the krylon paint on my town

EJmatt

Do you need any kind of clear coat or anything? Im about to do mine.

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
If I have gray carpet, can I paint it red and still have it look good? Or does it only work as a "touch-up"?

treeafodo

Austin
Registered VIP
If I have gray carpet, can I paint it red and still have it look good? Or does it only work as a "touch-up"?
As far as I know you will want to use rit-dye(spelling?) for the best,longest lasting results on carpets, but I could be wrong. I'd think the spray paint would be more of a touch up then color change method.

Last edited:

CivCity

No, I masked everything off that I didn't want painted with masking tape.
I put newspaper on the windsheild and steering wheel (look for little holes on the newspaper and mask it off).
Used Old car towels covered on the door panels and carpet.
Used HUGE garbage bags on the seats.
Then painted it with the vinyl paint for the first solid coat.
Once that dried, I used the paint for plastic on it to give it the gloss look.

If you want better results you can take the dashboard out... BUT there is the risk of the paint being tacky still and will leave finger prints once you go to install it back in. Truely it's up to you which ever way you want to do it. I personally think it would be a pain in the ass. If you get overspray on the windsheild you can use a razor blade to take the excess off. Then windex the windows.
I already have kryon for plastic paint for my never painted interior, the interior is the right color (black) but is faded and dull. would i want to do a coat of clear?

Sesshomaru

Infamous Furry
I should probably stop skimming through these DIY's.. I didn't catch the "only one coat of primer" the first time around so my passenger side panel looks retarded. I'll sand it down and redo it later.
If you can follow instructions, this DIY is great! The rest of us (me) should read a little more careful next time.:hitlol:

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bump for reloading pictures and update pictures when I repainted it for the first time since 2006, in 2013. :D

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How is everything holding up? Thought about doing some of this on my Civic currently. Mostly thinking about the carpet, then the fabric on the door panels and arm rest, also the pillar pieces and headliner to darken everything a bit.

connies96hatchie

Reinvent Your Shell!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
*UPDATE*

Nov. 2014 - I had sold my 92 gsr white hatchie. The interior had it's final touch up in May 2013 since the first time I did it in May 2006 when I originally made this thread. FB_IMG_1433253397714.jpg

Last edited: