How To: iPod Interface Install for 99-00 Civics, and many more.

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
iPod Interface Install for 99-00 Civics, and many more (56k, maybe not, 17pics)

Vehicle: 2000 Honda Civic EX (with CD and Tape)
Installation: iPod Interface

PARTS NEEDED:
1 PIE Hon/Aux Digital Protocol Converter (HON-AUX) $20.00 Shipped
1 Belkin Auto Kit (F8V7058-APL) $12.99 Shipped
1 Radio Shack 12V Accessory Outlet Kit (270-1556) $04.89 w/Emp Disc
1 Radio Shack Illuminated Rocker Switch (275-0692) $02.79 w/Emp Disc
1 Radio Shack Y-Adapter Audio Cable (420-2550) $04.19 w/Emp Disc
1 Griffin iSqueez Cup Holder Insert for iPod and iPod Mini $08.99 Shipped
3 Female disconnect ends cheap to free
2 Small (14ga) Ring wire ends cheap to free
Small piece of 14ga wire cheap to free
TOTAL COST: $53.85

TOOLS NEEDED:
Phillips head screw drivers
Socket set (metric)
Panel remover
Wire stripers
Wire crimper
Drill
3/4” Drill bit
Flashlights never hurt to have around
Never hurts to have a lighter on hand to help persuade plastic…

Before Pic:

It’s never a bad idea to obtain the disassembly sheets for your car; http://handa-accessories.com/civic.html usually has them, usually found under the accessory tape deck or CD player installation. They show you what wire or bolt is holding every piece in so it makes removal and replacement a snap. I used both the 99-00 CD player installation instructions, and the 96-98 CD/Tape installations instructions.

OBTAIN YOUR RADIO CODE BEFORE STARTING!! DON’T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID!! If you don’t have it, call your dealer with the VIN or Radio Serial Number.

DIRECTIONS:
Start by putting the car in Neutral (manual or auto), set parking brake.
Disconnect negative battery terminal. (duh)
Remove glove box, knee panel, center console (from dash back to armrest). Including cup holder.
Remove the audio console and A/C controls; be careful because there are lots of wires back there.
Depending on the model radio you have, different connections will be used, but refer to the directions in the PIE Interface box.

In this case, connect the BLUE end of the HON-AUX adapter into the back of the tape deck.
Feed wires though, and re-install the audio console and A/C controls.

Attach a ring or spade terminal on the end of the black ground wire, and ground to the chassis. (10mm bolt) (I used the bolt near the bottom of the audio unit)

Connect the Y-Adapter to the end of the PIE Interface with the RCA jacks.
Cut the positive lead of the 12V Accessory Outlet kit between the outlet and the fuse.
Strip the ends a little and put on female disconnect on each of the cut ends.
Using the supplied tap connector, tap the positive lead of the kit (on the end near the fuse, opposite the female disconnect) into the existing 12V outlet harness (the yellow striped wire attached to the ‘T’ shaped connector)

Find a place to mount the switch, I used the top of the pocket near the cup holders (the red glow should look cool at night) Drill your hole, usually a little larger than 3/4” mount switch.

Replace cup holders.

Connect up the wires using the female disconnects, don’t forget to add a ground wire if you are using an illuminated switch. Refer to the diagram on the back of the switch packaging for what wires go where.
Connect positive lead to the outlet, and ground the outlet (I used the same ground spot for all my grounds).

Plug in the Belkin Auto Kit to the outlet, and the 1/8” plug to the Belkin charger base.

Run the white wire to where ever the iPod is going to sit, Leave about 6-8” showing so it’s easy to connect and disconnect.

Replace all the panels and consoles.
Reconnect negative battery lead.
Start up, put in radio code, and ENJOY! When connected the iPod will play when the CD Changer is selected, should read Disc One, Track One and play.
Clean up your mess, and go drive!

DISCLAIMER:
I designed and connected this setup myself, please don’t steal it and pass it off as your own. I am not responsible for any damage you may do to your car when attempting this installation, use the information at your own risk.

And some pics of my sisters dirty 2000 Civic EX sedan (i'll look a lot better when i wash it tomorow):

wNgLiZcVc

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice write up. where did u buy the PIE Hon/Aux Digital Protocol Converter for $20 from?

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wNgLiZcVc said:
nice write up. where did u buy the PIE Hon/Aux Digital Protocol Converter for $20 from?
Thanks man, it was a fun install to do
eBay, most of the parts came from eBay, except for the Radio Shack ones, cause i work there. If you shop around enough, you can acually find good deals. The PIE part retails for 50 or so, and the Belkin charger can cost a pretty penny at most retail stores. The concept can be used on many other applications with minor adjustments, for example, i hardwired my Sirius radio in my civic before my accident using the same method, only swapping out the Honda adapter for the Pioneer IP Bus converter because i'm running a DEH-P4400. There are tons of adapter kits out there, I think Genuine Rolla is going to try the same thing with his JVC headunit.
-Marc

Last edited:

civicsi94

dial up ownz me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice write-up i like it.

Trey99EK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice, I think I am going to do this. What is the other cord for with the white plug on the end.

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
civicsi94 said:
nice write-up i like it.
thanks man, it was a fun install
Trey99EK said:
Nice, I think I am going to do this. What is the other cord for with the white plug on the end.
:werd: it works great, beats the crap outta fm modulators (wired or wireless)
the part with the white plug on one end and the round part on the other is the older style honda cd changer 8-Pin connector adapter, comes in the PIE kit

311civicsi

5+ Year Member
What if I don't have the tape deck? What is that plug on the back of the headunit to the far right that is circle shaped? I was at bestbuy and saw that it maybe looks like a kenwood, or JVC plug.

honda22

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
good right up
good fish on back of car- i knew there more out there