10+ Year Member
How to: clean your K&N filter properly <<56k buttsex>>

Things you'll need
  1. soft bristle brush
  2. K&N air filter cleaner
  3. K&N air filter oil
  4. flathead & phillips screwdriver
  5. running water
First: Remove your front bumper if you have a cold air intake.

Second: Loosen the hose clamp around the rubber fitting on your intake's filter and remove the filter.

Third: Lightly tap the filter to knock off any large dirt particles and then procede cleaning the filter with a dry, soft bristle brush.

Fourth: Use K&N's air filter cleaner and spray the filter down. Use liberally.

Fifth: Look at that dirty CAI piping...

Sixth: Rinse the filter off with running water and allow it to dry for about 10 minutes.

Seventh: Use K&N's air filter oil to lubricate each cotton pleat.

Eigth: Allow to dry once more and re-install the filter to the intake. You're done!!!

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice pics for the how too, but I do mine a bit differently. I also use the K&N charger kit and the cleaning solution, but I still use a soft bristle brush and some dish detergent. I gently scrub the filter with the brush and Reverse flow the water to rinse it.

I then set it aside in front of a fan for an hour or til it dries, then follow up with the oil. Be careful not to overoil or you'll need to wait for some of it to drain out so not to be sucked in.

steve98ex

say no to rotas
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
thats right except you don't wanna rinse it the way you are, you wanna rinse it from the clean side (ie put the hose inside).
that way the water just pushes the dirt off the outside instead of driving it into the filter father.

AnimlMother

death fears me :)
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Definitely always spray from the inside of the filter out, that way you send all the dirt and grime out of the filter rather than back inside to pool up and reattatch. Just cleaned mine after a while, and notice better gas mileage. Hitting at roughly 30-32 on highway now.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
96greencivic said:

I then set it aside in front of a fan for an hour or til it dries, then follow up with the oil. Be careful not to overoil or you'll need to wait for some of it to drain out so not to be sucked in.

I just use a leaf blower at a low rpm. My friend insists on letting his dry overnight but that's too long that I have to leave my car on the jack stand with the wheel off and fender liner off.

civicnoob

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so how long would u guys say it should dry minimum a couple of hrs? causei wanna know how long my car will be out of commision.

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
civicnoob said:
so how long would u guys say it should dry minimum a couple of hrs? causei wanna know how long my car will be out of commision.
I'm not gonna lie. After I rinsed it off, I shook it vigorously for aboue a minute to get most of the water out. Then, I let it sit in the sun for about 10 minutes. Mine is fine.

01S2K

VTEC Worshipper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I use a K&N Filter in my stock airbox during the winter.

When I clean it. I definitly let it dry over night. You shouldn't put it near a heat source or anything because the gauze will shrink.

I have a backup $10 FRAM filter I can put in when the K&N is drying.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i gotz a question....
i've done this to k&n filters before... but now i have an HKS mushroom filter.... anyone know how to clean those?

chimchim

iVTEC, do you?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
And don't forget... do NOT use a high pressure water sprayer to shoot at the gauze as this can cause it to rip. Use lots of low pressure water (from the clean to the dirty direction).

hondadna

Rep the 330!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok this doesnt help me, I too have a foam filter and its washable but didnt come with a how-to but did come with the oil and get this its called mugen and its not a knock-off its for hobble cars (RC cars) that run on gas...lol.....someone help pop and me out

TenzoMonk

Lick your back on it
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Instructions per the Weapon R ® Foam Air Filter Cleaner Service Kit
[3599-2KR]

Cleaning Proceedure: Spray generous amounts of Uni Cleaner on the inside & outsideof the filter. Let it soak approximately 3-4 minutes. Rinse out the filter element in warm water until clean. A second application may be necessary for heavily soiled elements. Next you must let the filter dry completely. Very important! Re-oil per instructions, and you are ready to go. Aerosol Filter Oil: Spray the filter inside and out until the filter has complete coverage with oil. Next work the oil into the foam by working it with your hands. Repeat this step once more, and then dab filter with paper towels to remove excess oil. If your filter has a rubber mount flange, be sure to clean the mounting surface free of oil. Clean filter frame, clean filter mounting surface and air box. Check air boot and mount to intake pipe. Next reinstall filter frame (if applicable) back into the filter element. Your air filter is the lifeline to your engine... Improper maintenance can result in engine failure...

AND here's another one i found (on an ATV site)..

The CT Way to Maintain Your Foam Air Filter (from www.ctracing.com)...

A) Gently knock all the crud off the filter before you apply an air filter cleaning agent. Most motorcycle chemical manufacturers have a suitable product for cleaning air filters.

B) Apply the appropriate cleaner and let it work for a few minutes as you knead the filter with your hands, don't "wring" the filter just massage the cleaner in thoroughly. Rinse the filter from the inside out with hot water.

C) Wash the foam filter three more times in a solution of dish soap and hot water, this will remove the remainder of dirt as well as clean off the oily residue left by the first cleaning solution.

D) Dry your foam filter by first squeezing the excess water out and then by blowing the rest of the water off with compressed air. Never wring or stretch your foam filter as it could tear at the seams. Let the filter air dry in the sun for an hour or two.

E) Apply fresh foam filter oil to the inside and outside elements as well as the sealing flange or lip, do not use K&N or fabric filter oil on foam filters this will result in dirt inside the engine. Squeeze out any excess oil as necessary. Apply a liberal amount of wheel bearing grease to the sealing flange before you install the filter. If your foam filter doesn't have a rubber grommet around the eyelet where the hold down bolt passes through, then apply some grease there as well.

Hope this helps.

TenzoMonk

Lick your back on it
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
on a side note... i have no idea what type of foam Weapon R or HKS use in their filters. so... i'm not sure if this above method works on all foam filters or not. personally, i've never used foam... always used K&N filters myself. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.