How to: Keep Shift Boot Up 96-00 Civic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blk05Civic

Reppin HX
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
How to: Keep Shift Boot Up 96-00 Civic

This How To is to show you how to keep your shift boot up closer to your aftermarket shift knob. Many people complained about this and I finally decided to fix my own. My shift boot would always slide down and my shifter would look stupid.

Tools Needed:
-1 Phillips Screwdriver
-1 Zip tie
-Some electrical tape
-The alan key to take off your shiftknob
-Time and alot of patience

*IM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU SCREW UP - DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK*

It took me about 20 minutes to do. For some it might take longer, for some less, depending on how good you are with these DIYs.

Here is my shift boot. I have already done this before so it isn't that low.

Anyway, in order to get the shift boot off, you need to remove your center console.

First recline both seats forward.

There are four screws in the back area. Two on this side, and two on the other. Remove those.

Then pul the seats all the way back, so you can see these two screws. Right under the shift boot. There is one on each side. Remove them.

So a total of 6 screws.

Then to remove this console, lift up from the back. and slide it off the ebrake ( my ebrake was on, and it makes it easier to remove)

Ok that console is finally off.

Now you need to remove the other center console. There are four screws, two on each side. Remove them.

So there is a total of four screws.

Now use your alan key and take off your shiftknob. (the 3 little screws)

Pull up from the back of the console with your hand.

Then push a little forward, and then pull it off.

Finally ready

Now this part can be either confusing, hard, frustrating, or easy. One of those. Put your shiftknob on and measure about your thumbnail length down and mark it with something. My shifter has a line from the old shifter so i know where to put mine. You might have to measure, put the shift boot back on, remeasure, and keep trying until you get it right. Just be patient and you can do it.

Now get your ziptie and put in on like so.

Once you know for sure that the zip tie is in the right place, put some electrical tape on it to prevent it from moving up and down. Not alot, just some to hold it up.

Slide the console back on and make sure it fits in fine. Then put on the four screws.

Now you can put on your shiftknob and check to make sure it fits. Once ready, move on to the next step.

Then the back console has to go in. Slide it back on and put back those 6 screws. First these two.

Then these four.

Finally finished. Here is what it looks like if done correctly. Not professional, but it looks way better then before.

Hope this helps.
-Blk05Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.