How To: LED license plate light swap

Black Magic

I'm Rick James, b***h
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thought I'd start a new thread for this in case someone searches for it...

What you'll need:
- philips screw driver
- white LED strip (I got mine from here: http://www.lck-led.com/p97/NEW-12"-Flexible-White-Led-Strip/product_info.html?osCsid=2b791f1362c59d6f924408f94cc3a0da)
- soap and water
- hot glue gun
- male disconnects
- 10-15 minutes

License plate LED lights

1) Remove the two screws for each license plate light and unplug the harness

2) Take the plastic cover off and remove the rubber surrounding it. Clean the clear plastic in soapy water.

3) Cut your LED strips to the correct size (should be same length as the plastic cover). Test the strips to figure out the positive and negative terminals.

4) Another option (instead of using LED strips is to simply replace the halogen bulb with an LED one. Since LED's are directional unlike halogen bulbs, I decided to use strips instead.

5) Connect male disconnects to the LED strips and plug them into the stock harness.

6) Re-attach the rubber to the plastic cover. I used a hot glue gun to keep the LED strips attached to the clear plastic. Finally, screw your new license plate lights back into your trunk lid.

7) All done!

in case you're wondering, its an Acural EL trunk lid on a Civic.

Black Magic

I'm Rick James, b***h
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks. can a mod please move this to the "how-to" section. I'd appreciate it.

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont know bout you, but i rather cops not have BETTER ability to read my plates. but that just me. good write up tho

Black Magic

I'm Rick James, b***h
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i dont know bout you, but i rather cops not have BETTER ability to read my plates. but that just me. good write up tho
Owned, lol. I knew someone was gonna say that too. I just did this because I had a white LED strip laying around.

But around here, you can actually get a ticket if your license plate is hard to read or isn't visible.

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
What is it with you and wires...

Nice writeup!

Black Magic

I'm Rick James, b***h
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Nice!!!

You know you got the same bulbs with leds inside right? Much more easy ;)
Yeah, you're right. And they work fine. I didn't use them because LED's are directional... meaning they will project the light in only one direction. With those LED bulbs that you're referring to, the projected light usually ends up appearing as a oval or circle. I'll try to find a pic. Using a strip allows for a wider projection since there are multiple LED's in a line. Plus, I just had this strip lying around and I wasn't using it.

What is it with you and wires...

Nice writeup!
:cool:

tbaybucs

i am a new civic owner so here are a few things i have done to help my car out
1- led tag light off ebay for like 3 bux they fit in the old bulb connector
2- my catalytic converter was bad so i bought a "racing one " lol off ebay for 26 bux
3- had a damaged fender couldnt believe how cheap a new fender was
4-had alarm system installed 199. installed
5-mounted my amp under the rear deck between speakers to keep truck clean
6-trunk floor panel was bad so i replaced it with diamond plate

not much but im just learning..

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good s**t :thumbs up moved to the "how to" section!

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i am a new civic owner so here are a few things i have done to help my car out
1- led tag light off ebay for like 3 bux they fit in the old bulb connector
2- my catalytic converter was bad so i bought a "racing one " lol off ebay for 26 bux
3- had a damaged fender couldnt believe how cheap a new fender was
4-had alarm system installed 199. installed
5-mounted my amp under the rear deck between speakers to keep truck clean
6-trunk floor panel was bad so i replaced it with diamond plate

not much but im just learning..
post pics. but start a build thread so as not to thread jack. i want to see the diamond plate in the trunk.

Andres_00

I clicked on the link you gave us to buy the white led strips but it says it dosent exsist, you think you could give me another link or the exact name of the led strips?

Cuban22

License plate light

I have a 00 Honda civic 4 door and I'm in the process of putting led license plate bulbs however I don't have the actual lighting unit above my license plate, there is actually no where for me to put the bulbs it's just an empty space. I was wonder if anyone knows where I can get the actual lighting unit for the license plate bulbs and how much would it cost roughly? Thanks