How To: Make your own White Guages for 5th Gen Dashboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelseymonster

on your right shoulder
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
make your own white guages for 5th gen dash

i got tired of the black speedometer and tach with the white numbers. so i decided to make my own white guages with black numbers.

what you need: computer scanner; sheet of lexan or another thin plexi-glass; paper; color printer; something to cut the lexan (dremel)

1. remove bezel by removing retainer screws and pulling bezel out of the car. also remember to remove the hazard light button first and removing the screw hidden behind it.
2. remove the guages' housing by removing side screws and unplugging all the wires from the back.
3.remove the clear plastic cover from the guage housing.
4. before removing the needle, pick it up and over teh stop pin to see where it sits. mark that or photograph it to remember it's position so you know where to place the needles on replacement.
5. remove the needles from the guages by pulling straight out firmly.
6. remove screws from the guages that connect the to the needle motors.
7. scan the guages you have removed. ( i used 300 dpi.)
8. take the scans to photo shop and make a negative copy of them.
9. use the paint bucket feature to make the white section true white ( or whatever color you choose) and the writing a darker black (or whatever color)
10. print the pictures at the same size as the scan.
11. use the original guages as templates and trace around them on a thin sheet of lexan or plexi glass.
12. cut out the new lexan backing for the guage. ( i used a dremel with a cutoff disc)
13. take a straight pin and heat it and stick it through the lexan in the place where the original stop pin was.
14. attach paper guage to lexan with tape or spray adhesive.
15. re-assemble and install on car.
16. have fun.

problems... i found that when lit from behind, you can see the grain of the paper. i'm going to try this again with just the lexan and no paper. i'll see if i can screen print the guage onto the lexan. another bigger problem. it is very difficult to place the needles back in their original positions once they have been removed. i still have to reset them.. i'll do it tonight.
i have only done the speedometer so far. i figure i'll master the process before i complete the project.

pic of the original guage once removed:

pics of new guage installed in my car:

i'll have more pics once i get more work done and master the project : )

zammy

ZK
5+ Year Member
i wonder why nobody had responded to this, this is a great diy. i've been thinking of doing the exact same and been looking around the internet for guides but finally found one! well i was planning on screen printing the numbers/marks on since i've had some previous experience with screenprinting on tshirts, so i'll probably give that a try sometime. unless maybe i can find some kind of white plastic sheet to use instead of printing on paper where it shows the fibers.

zammy

ZK
5+ Year Member
ah! i jumpped right on this one... well this method i came up with is to print onto transparency so that paper wouldn't be used and therefore the gauge face would not be grainy/fibery when lit up. i just have to find some kind of white plastic to put behind the transparency to make it opaque... i'll need help on this one so if anybody knows where i can find it please let me know!

but for now, just to show how it looks, i used a white cd case that i had laying around... couldnt find anything better....

http://i10.tinypic.com/3zlskn7.jpg

2nedhnda

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I cant wait till you figure this out, I think its pretty genius so far though. Im sure that you can pick up some white lexan somewhere :???:

tjlucas

Banned
try painting the back of that with white paint. I just painted all guage and climate control bulbs with glass paint and it came sik. whole dash illuminates blue to match my deck and it doesnt look flammer. serious, paint the back of that clear paper white.

one6

Shorts and Sandals FTW!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
tjlucas said:
try painting the back of that with white paint. I just painted all guage and climate control bulbs with glass paint and it came sik. whole dash illuminates blue to match my deck and it doesnt look flammer. serious, paint the back of that clear paper white.
pics?

tjlucas

Banned
dash lights

i didnt take any pics yet, it aint done cuz i got a couple bulbs that i need to replace still so its not all lit up. does n e one know if its possible to remove the bulbs from the auto shifter of a 95?

swich

5+ Year Member
i know im pulling this out the ark but can some please help me with the needle removal bit coz when i pulled mine out the main rod came out to now my rev counter does not work. but when i pulled off my main speedo needle the main rod didnt come out and it is working 100%.

is there any way to get my rev counter working again or must i buy a new one?

swich

5+ Year Member

as you can see with my engine off that is where my rev counter sits

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Old thread but that looks pretty nice. I wish I had the tools to do that. I could make my own "SIR" cluster.

herm182

you can buy clear plastic at staples that you can print on with a lazer printer! probably last longer than paper and no grain marks otherwise excellent idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.