How To: My DIY Cargo Cover.

tnk

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
my DIY cargo cover

i've made this about 3 years ago but jus now finally decided to take pictures and post them up...

heres what i did:
1. make a template out of cardboard.(u can make it fold or not totally up to u)
2. traced it out on 1/2 or 3/4 and cut it out with a jigsaw.
- if ur gonna wrap it in carpet like i did..ur gonna have to cut about 1/4 on each side to
compensate for the thickness of the carpet
- i shaved the little things that sticks up on the channel of the cargo cover so it'd sit more flush
- if u want speakers now is the time to cut the holes...no bigger than 6x9's! it looks tacky if u go bigger!!
- if u want it to fold up, determine where ur hinges should go first b4 u wrap it in carpet
3. wrap the carpet top side first then the sides(cut slits where the cargo cover curves), with some type of adhesive.
leave about 1.5 inches on the bottom. then use more carpet to cover up the bottom
4. then cut slits into the carpet to slide ur hinges under so people wont see the actually screws that hold the hinge in place
5. then put some weights(i used weights from my benchpress set) on it over night and then BAM..u have a cargo cover

carpet = $10
hinges = $ 2
all purpose adhesive = $ 5
if u guys dont have a jigsaw..u can go to ur local home depot and get it cut there, if they want to be an ass and charge u then it should be much...but if there nice they shouldnt..
so i spent about 20 buck in all...and this is what i got

if im leaving anything out or if u guys have questions jus reply

Attachments

BigCivicHatch

sorry to bump an old page but you said you cut 1/2 or 3/4 with a jigsaw, was this the cardboard you were cutting?

tnk

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i made a template out of cardboard first then traced the template on the wood board, and cut with a jigsaw.