How To: Painting Fog Lights

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How to paint your fogs yellow

First off I originally had the clear ebay square fogs.. I wasnt satisfied so i rush painted them in they came out really crappy and hazey. My how to is how to fix them but you can use it to start fresh =)

here is how bad they looked

yuck

what your gonna need is a microfiber cloth, wd 40, 3m rubbing compound, krylon stained glass paint, glass cleaner

first you wanna clear up the lens.. Use a rubber glove if you can... swirl the rubbing compound onto the lights... rub as hard as you can... You should see the yellow start to come off a lil... You can tell that you are done when it is nice and smooth. Now take your wd 40 and wipe it around on the lights and then wipe it off. Repeat the rubbing compoun if necessary

once you feel as though it is nice and smooth then you are ready to paint clean it with the glass cleaner

tape off the entire area if (this step is only for those who are extremly lazy like me and dont feel like taking them off..) in my case i dont know how to take them off, some one else put them on for me :(

ghetto

anyway. get out your stained glass paint

use a sweeping motion and spray about 5 inches away from the lights... Spraying too close will make the coat too think... Spraying too far will make it hazy

Do your first coat not too heavy and let it dry for about 20 min... If it looks good dont get all happy and stop.. You will need more coats...I had to fight the urge to not put another coat on it.

here is the pics after the first coat

wait for it to dry and please do not touch it..

go in for your next coat and make sure you get all the sides... the side are important because if you dont get them you will have white light shining out around the corners and it will look crappy.

here they are

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Nice job, looks better yellow i think.

i painted mine yellow, but i think i'm going back to clear now for them, i just need brighter ligthing at nigth, and with my new bulbs they'll shine better with clear len's then yellow.

Racersky

5+ Year Member
I know this is an old thread but do you think it'll work the same for the 99-00 foglights? I'm about to purchase the ones off ebay.

BlackHopeDC5

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Racersky said:
I know this is an old thread but do you think it'll work the same for the 99-00 foglights? I'm about to purchase the ones off ebay.
sorry i didnt see this before you signed off but yes it will def work for the 99-00 =)

highneo

Pi Lambda Phi
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I hope someone reads this, but do I need to use the rubbing compound if mine is clear already? I can just use the glass cleaner then spray it? Thanks.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
A rubbing compound isn't really neccessary. Just make sure they're completely clean so the paint has a fresh surface to bond to.

Think of it as prepping to tint glass for example. To tint glass you usually use a glass cleaner and a razor blade to clean off the surface.

Oh, and the foglights are easy to remove from the bumper for painting. There should be a phillips tip screw on the inside of each foglight (inner side of the foglight in the grill). Unscrew that, reach your hand in the grill and unplug the foglight, then yank the lught housing foward. The light will be hanging on a long screw that is clasped on the top of the foglight housing. It might take a bit of force to remove the housing from the grill.

highneo

Pi Lambda Phi
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so just some soap and water then some windex should be fine? They shouldn't be that dirty since they were just shipped here from vertex and haven't been on the road yet.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Haven't been in the road? Just clean them up. they should be very smooth to the touch.

highneo

Pi Lambda Phi
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks for your help nofx. another question, where can i get this krylon stain glass at? i tried home depot, AC Moore, and walmart today with no luck.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Craft stores. If you can't find it, just find someone selling Vans Yellow Lens Paint online :thumbs up

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You're welcome. =) Vans Yellow Lens Paint ftmfw! Eran used this and it came out MUCH clearer than the other pein he used before. Seems to be holding up a lot better too. The old paint got kind of almost... grainy(?) looking in comparision. They're much brighter imo now than before. This paint just set much better. Not all wavy.

BlackHopeDC5

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ac more used to carry the krylon stained glass paint.. They stopped about 2 years ago

Joann's never carried it and never will

Michaels carries it. The are sold for 5 dollars now

Ill take you guys word for the Vans paint but im still very happy with the krylon. I dont know if you remember but it was you Eran who suggested i use 3m rubbing compound to get the haze out (back like 2 years ago) ;)

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
BlackHope121 said:
Ill take you guys word for the Vans paint but im still very happy with the krylon. I dont know if you remember but it was you Eran who suggested i use 3m rubbing compound to get the haze out (back like 2 years ago) ;)
Haze on foglights? That guy's foglights are brand new so I don't assume he has a haze on them anyway.

JDM melbatoast

That's what she said..
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this might be a stupid question but i just boguht the krylon paint its at hoem and i really didnt read the can yet will this paint work on plastic lenses also?