How To: Painting Trim (DIY)

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I really wish CivicDX94's pics were of better quality. I hate clicking on images thinking they'll resize larger just to find out they link to imageshack.

97GreenEX

SiR=Hotness
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My side mouldings are already painted to match...
But I want them black to accent my SiR lip, mud flaps, and side skirts.
So should I just paint over them?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
97GreenEX said:
My side mouldings are already painted to match...
But I want them black to accent my SiR lip, mud flaps, and side skirts.
So should I just paint over them?
No. If anything, buy replacements. Remember they're a pain in the ass to remove too. Just painting over them will look bad though.

JonnyBad

5+ Year Member
just painted my side moldings on my 6th gen coupe today- red to match body...came out beautifully.
Wet sanded, primed, wet sanded, applied 3 coats of red... could probably be wetsanded again and then sprayed red before clearcoating, but it got really cold out this afternoon- did them on the car with no problems, just taped everything off really well- thanks for the idea

2000civic

5+ Year Member
Ok I am all confused. Im new to this just got my car few weeks ago. I have a silver 2000 4dr and want to paint the black trim and the lips (which are black) First of all what is wet sanding. Second I want the paint to be exactly like the one on the car and want it to look really clean. What is the best way to do this, I am considering going to local store and gettin canned spray paint. What kind should I get? What finish? Do I need to put a primer down??

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok I am all confused. Im new to this just got my car few weeks ago. I have a silver 2000 4dr and want to paint the black trim and the lips (which are black) First of all what is wet sanding. Second I want the paint to be exactly like the one on the car and want it to look really clean. What is the best way to do this, I am considering going to local store and gettin canned spray paint. What kind should I get? What finish? Do I need to put a primer down??
I hate to say it, but if you dont know what wet sanding is then you shouldnt try painting anything in hopes of it looking really clean after.

wet sanding

Wet= water
Sanding=sanding

Put those two together and you have? thats right, wetsanding.

2000civic

5+ Year Member
hahaha ok yeh I kinda figured that was just being safe n askin.
I just went to check out a couple of stores and none of them have the right colour. Does anyone know a good site I could maybe buy some online?

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hahaha ok yeh I kinda figured that was just being safe n askin.
I just went to check out a couple of stores and none of them have the right colour. Does anyone know a good site I could maybe buy some online?
duplicolor makes oem match paint.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm about to freshin' up some side moldings i got off of a couple junkyard cars. I'm going to do this and I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

mattman3

got rice?
5+ Year Member
wut about painting like a whole fender would all this stuff work for such a big space?