How To: PCV Valve Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Low Fluctuating Idle, Stalling, Poor Gas Milage?

Garunteed Fix

Do you have this problem? (low, fluctuating idle, [200-600rpms], stalling at stop lights, every once-in-a-while/not every stop, poor gas milage). I delt with this problem for almost a year until last weekend. I changed my pcv valve in my 98 civic ex. This link shows you a diagram of where your breather chamber is that holds the pcv valve.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Civic&catcgry2=1998&catcgry3=2DR+EX+ABS&catcgry4=KL5MT&catcgry5=BREATHER+CHAMBER+(2)

The valve only cost me $2.64 at AutoZone. vtec valve is straight and nonvtec is L-shaped.

This is an example photo of what the 96-98 vtec valve looks like.

http://catalog.honda-auto-parts-wholesale.com/?make=HO&year=1998&imageField.x=23&imageField.y=4

To replace mine, I had to get under the car and remove the oil filter (temporarily, put it back on when finished). Right above that is where the pcv valve and hose stick out, (you can feel it if you reach around). Pull the valve out of the breather chamber, (you can do this by pulling hard, it will pop out). From the top of the engine bay, locate the rubber hose going down through the intake runners, you'll need to pull it up and out so that you can access the pcv valve. Unclamp the hose clamp with pliers and slide it back a bit so that you can remove the pcv valve from the hose, (screw driver and a bit of twisting worked for me). Once its out, if you shake it and it doesn't rattle, that means you need to replace it. Simply install the new one in reverse order and your problems should be resolved...it worked for me. For 3 bucks it's well worth the trouble.

This will work for the 96-00 sohc engines (vtec - nonvtec) make sure you specify when purchasing the part. I'm pretty sure the location is similar on a b series engine (dohc)...not exactly sure.

Here is a link to the 92-95 sohc.

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4354&highlight=idle

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you scroll down on the diagram page it tells you. The PCV Valve is #3. Just go to AutoZone and ask the guy at the counter to look up the part number. Piece of cake.

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
PCV valve

Thanks alot man i got it and it took a while for me to get the old one of becaus i had to crawl on the bottom of the hot ass car and search for it at night but i found it! So i did it..... but i still have problems with the idle.... what should i do?

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Re: PCV valve

Originally posted by defvayne
Thanks alot man i got it and it took a while for me to get the old one of becaus i had to crawl on the bottom of the hot ass car and search for it at night but i found it! So i did it..... but i still have problems with the idle.... what should i do?
Sorry it didn't work...possibly a vacuum leak or clogged injectors. Take it to the honda dealership and have them run a diagnostic check on it to see what might be wrong...in my case I had two of these done with no avail, but I figured out myself (searching club civic forums) that it was the PCV valve...sorry I couldn't help more. Good luck.

TJKeehn

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a high flucuating idle at about 1500 to 1900 rpm's. I got the code run and the guy said to check the fuel filter mine had some nasty s**t in it still idles weird but I don't know if I fixed it b/c I took the battery off which made the light go out. He also told me to check for vaccum leaks as well, however he didn't mention the PCV valve thanks I will ask bout that.

Jay eS Iye

n00whuh?
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mine flucuates from about 1500 down to 600 and back up, over and over and over, pisses me off, i may try the valve

Mahlmann

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my friend has a volvo 240 dl (freggin tank) and his hoopdie loved stalling and hated idle, he replaced feul pressure regulator and fuel pump, now its all good

5thGenCX

long gearing owns me.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by Jay eS Iye
mine flucuates from about 1500 down to 600 and back up, over and over and over, pisses me off, i may try the valve
Check yer MAP sensor. I know when that went on mine, it fluctuated like that. Does it do that when the engine is cold, or all the time?

TJKeehn

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I replaced my valve but it still didn't fix it there was oil all over my valve is that bad???

Jay eS Iye

n00whuh?
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
when it first starts up it doesn't, but after running for a while it does. so i need to check my map and pcv valve. anything else? and how do i check them, should i just replace?

ReggieSD

PoPoy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
mine only fluctuates only when the motors running cold..after it gets warmed up it goes away. plus, i swapped my ecu with a p28...it wasn't doing that with the original ecu. so what could be wrong ?

Jay eS Iye

n00whuh?
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jay eS Iye said:
bring this back up, I've been told it can be the TPS, MAP, IACV (or IAVC), or maybe this PCV valve, how do i check to see if they are bad? i've been told not to replace hte TPS, just hte whole TB, is this true? i'm trying to find out how to tackle this so when i get my job at Advance autoparts i'll have a list of what to get =)

green_ace

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
fyi: if the idle fluctuates up and down when its cold then it is IACV but if your idle fluctuates up and down when its under normal operating temp then its tps or map sensor.

TJKeehn

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had taken mine to the shop and they fixed the IACV and not a week later it started up again. They looked at it and said the throttle body plate was bent and I need a new one 1300 bucks f**k THAT!! I am goin to get an aftermarket, BBK 70mm for bout 380 hopefully. Hope you guys are doin aight.

Jas0n

What's up dogz!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
green_ace said:
fyi: if the idle fluctuates up and down when its cold then it is IACV but if your idle fluctuates up and down when its under normal operating temp then its tps or map sensor.
Sorry for my Ignorancy, but What's the TPS??

Jas0n

What's up dogz!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
ok I change my PCV valve and it feels better but still idles high some times.
thanks anyways.......

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
After replacing the PCV valve...my idle was still acting a bit funky, (not dying...as much) but still not a smooth idle. I came accross this thread on Honda Tech... http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=809571 ...I've adjusted the "idle set screw" and I'm getting my idle dialed-in. I think it might actually be the cure...but we'll see.

koblerone

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey guys, i'm going to put a si MPFI intake manifold on my DX. i've noticed in some replacement car parts places that the PCV valve for the SIs and DXs are different. the SI PCV valve has a 90degree elbow and the DX one is straight. which one do you think i'll need to use with my swap? (holy abbreviations scatman!)

thanks fo yo input all.

Status
Not open for further replies.