How To: Proximity Alarm

Ian01ex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The alarm I have is great but it didnt stop some very careful people from stealing my rims about a year back. I've had my new ones for a while but I didn't want to get hit again so I figured I would attach a proximity alarm to the Avital alarm I allready owned. Here are the tools that I needed to do this.

First you want to find out where the "brain" of your alarm is located. Mine was very easy to get to since it was just behind the climate control. You want to find the four wire plug that is red, black, green, and blue. This is the input from more than likely just your window sensors and tells the alarm when to go off. The proximity alarm comes with the same four wire plug but since there is only one jack you need to cut the wires and combine the two sensors into one jack.

You next need to run the wires to a place where you want to mount the sensor. I chose underneath my coin tray thingy. If you follow the white line that is where I ran the wire.

Here you can see where the wire is.

I then drilled a small hole through the plastic molding and put a nut and bolt through it to hold the sensor in place and so it would be in a easy to reach spot in case adjustments are needed later.

Then of course you clean up your wires.

Once you are sure that everything is connected correctly and that your wires are ran how you want you can adjust the sensativity of your alarm. Start with the outer layer first and work your way in. You dont want it so sensative that your alarm become a nuesance but enough so that if someone is too close like looking in through your window you can either have it do a warning chirp or set the alarm off. I chose to have mine go off but I will make adjustments if it is giving me false alarms.

You now put your shift boot and console back on if you have chosen to install it where I did. Keep in mind metal tends to interfere with these types of alarms so try not to mount it around too much metal as this might give you blind spots in the alarm.

Now clean everything up and set your alarm. Now if some shady guy is going up to my car to scope it out the alarm will allready scare him off before he tries to break a window. =)

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this is a very good writeup. I was thining about doing it however

keep in mind you battery might be toast..

Alarm going off every few minutes due to people f**king with your proximity will kill your battey

Ian01ex

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Very good point. If that happens there are adjustments you can make on the sensor. For me living in an apartment that is right by where I park I know if it goes off so I'm glad I did it. Just dont set it to where people start to ignore your alarm because it goes off so much.

Dont_Tri

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Great write up where do I purchase a Proximity Alarm? I currently have Avital Model 4400 with the screen on the remote.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dont_Tri said:
Great write up where do I purchase a Proximity Alarm? I currently have Avital Model 4400 with the screen on the remote.
if you don't want to ebay it, you should be able to order one through a shop who carries your alarm.

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hate to bring an old thread to life, but I wanted to thank you for this DIY Write Up ... I recently bought this exact same Proximity Sensor off of eBay and was gonna install it in the same spot you've installed yours, without even seeing this DIY before ... Then today I decided to do some research to see if anyone else had bought the same Proximity Sensor as me, and let me tell you Im glad to see you did and that its working for you ... I will use this Write Up when I get to wire mine's up ... I just need to wait for it to get here next week (already shipped out) :thumbup:

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Man this thing really works, and it works great! ... I installed the Proximity Sensor and also some other security goodies on my Hatch, Im liking the security on it more now, before not as much ... :thumbsup:, thanks again for the DIY ...