How To: Realigning Windows on Tracks

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1. Remove the door panel. Refer to section 20 of the 1996-00 Civic Service Manual.

2. Remove the armrest bracket, then pull down the plastic cover to gain access to the window regulator.

3. Carefully move the glass until you can see the glass mounting bolts, then loosen them. Slide the guide rearward, remove the glass from the guide, and carefully pull the glass out through the window slot.

4. Check the year and VIN

a. If the vehicle is a 1996 or 1997 within the affected VIN range, replace the window regulator. Go to step 5.

b. If the vehicle is not a 1996 or 1997 within the affected VIN range, go to step 8.

5. Remove the two roller guide bolts and the two rear regulator mounting bolts; then remove the front regulator mounting bolts.
6. Disconnect the power window motor connector, and detach the harness clip (it applicable); then lift and remove the regulator through the opening in the door.
7. Install the new regulator in the door, then loosely install the two rear mounting bolts and the two roller guide bolts. Do not tighten the two front mounting bolts yet. Go to step 9.
8. Loosen the window regulator's two rear mounting bolts, two front mounting bolts, and two roller guide bolts.

9. Inspect the glass run channel:

a. If the run channel is not sitting in the window channels properly, reinstall it.
b. If the run channel is damaged, replace it. Refer to section 20 of the appropriate service manual.
c. If the run channel is sitting in the window channels properly, go to step 10.

NOTE: If the run channel is sitting in the window channels properly and the window regulator was not replaced, disregard this service bulletin and follow normal troubleshooting procedures.

10. Reinstall the glass in the door, but do not tighten the glass mounting bolts. Reconnect the power window motor connector, and temporarily reconnect the window switch (if applicable). Raise the window about 100 mm (4.0 in.) from the fully lowered position.

11. Push the glass toward the rear of the door, and have an assistant tighten the two glass mounting bolts, the four regulator mounting bolts, and the two roller guide bolts.

12. Loosen the front channel mounting bolt and nut. Push the front channel toward the glass, and tighten the mounting bolt and nut.
13. Check the window for smooth operation, and check for gaps between the glass and the run channel with the window all the way up.

a. If the window does not operate smoothly, or if you see gaps between the run channel and the window, loosen all the mounting bolts, and repeat steps 10 through 12.
b. If the window operates smoothly and you see no gaps between the run channel and the window, reinstall the plastic cover, the armrest bracket, and the door panel.

OverboostSI

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice post. I had to do this 4 times already. This would have been extremely helpful for me 7 months ago.

MajEK

Cry Some More
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Nice info. Make sure you spray the rubber tracks with silicone spray(doesnt damage the rubber) when you do this and spray every few months to keep this from happening again.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i def need to do this. my car got broken into last month, my window got busted open. the guy who replaced my window did a shitty job

EJackBauer8

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This thread is over 4 yrs old why bring it back?

Sent from my Galaxy S-Triple