How To: Rear Foglight Budget style

BlackHopeDC5

Is Black Again??? :shock:
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Aight so before i start. I dont want to hear how this isnt the actual JDM way or this isnt how its supposed to be wired.. This is the way i did cause thats the way i wanted it.. With that said

First materials

Screws
Some type of metal elbow. (i found one in my basement)
Hazard light ( you can find similar lights like this at auto zone for about 4 bucks)
Wire
Electric Tape

Lets get started

Remove your rear bumper.. Its actually quite easy ;)

Now the Raybrig fog's have a Black housing and mine had a white so i painted mine black... Black flow much nicer with my car anyway

I suggest we start the wiring first. We are going to tap into the taillight. This is where some of us can go seperate ways. I chose to have my fog come on with the parking light, and blink alternatively with the passenger side blinker (since the fog is on one side.)

Remove your tallight

Take a look at what youve got. We are going to tap into the parking light (RED Wire) and tap into the turn signal which is (green/yellow)

Do not tap into the taillight though.. I just showed you that for reference to the colors of the wires.. Tap into the harness right as it goes into your trunk.. This way you can remove your tallights freely whenever you want to (as opposed to removing the fog along with it.

Here is what it should look like once you tapped into those two wires with two long wires that can touch the floor. Please note my shity tape job

Hide and tape the wires behind the bumper support

Now here is the tricky part.

Now in the picture above you can see there are two holes on the far letf and far right that go straight through the housing. And dead in the center there is a wire that goes from in between the bulbs to the outside of the housing.

We are going to link the two bulbs together so that they come on together.

Then take one of the wires from behind the bumper suport and bring it into one of the holes. Wrap it around the metal that keeps the bulb in place. In order to link the the bulbs together take a small piece of wire and join the two pieces of metal that hold the bulbs up.

Now to complete the circuit take the other wire from being the bumper support and join it to the already existing wire that comes out of the center of the housing.

aight i wanted to get as close to perfection as i could cause i hate to half ass things that other people will need

so here is the long clean way to do it

We are going to drill a hole for the wires to go directly through the bumper instead of hidden and taped under the bumper

Now we have to get back to the mouting kit.

Here is what we had before................Yuck

I took that same very piece and went to work.. I sanded it down using my dremel and sanding bit..

Then i heated that b***h up on the stove fire., got a hammer and cinder block and went to work flattening and shaping the metal to conform perfectly to bumper. The trick is to hammer it WITH heat. That will make it more malleuable (sp?)

Here is the end result of the mounting piece

Now lets mount this mother

(VIDEO ADDED)
http://media.putfile.com/My-car-blinking-and-talking

Last edited:

Partizan

im gay n proud luv my car
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
mm i like this

il be doing this when school gets done

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Definately not my style at all. I wanted to wait to say anything until I saw better photos than your other thread. Now that I've seen the way it was done and the way it is mounted, it seriously looks completely cheap (and not in a good way) and like you needed to maybe try a test first next time. And try doing it when you don't have to rush. This project came out looking like shoddy work. Sorry.

BlackHopeDC5

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
NOFX said:
Definately not my style at all. I wanted to wait to say anything until I saw better photos than your other thread. Now that I've seen the way it was done and the way it is mounted, it seriously looks completely cheap (and not in a good way) and like you needed to maybe try a test first next time. And try doing it when you don't have to rush. This project came out looking like shoddy work. Sorry.
Your harsh true words hit home.. Im redoing it now

It still wont be "Your Style" but it wont be shoddy work.

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A better idea for a bracket would be to buy a car alarm siren, and use the pivot mount from that.

BlackHopeDC5

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
aight i wanted to get as close to perfection as i could cause i hate to half ass things that other people will need

so here is the long clean way to do it

We are going to drill a hole for the wires to go directly through the bumper instead of hidden and taped under the bumper

Now we have to get back to the mouting kit.

Here is what we had before................Yuck

I took that same very piece and went to work.. I sanded it down using my dremel and sanding bit..

Then i heated that b***h up on the stove fire., got a hammer and cinder block and went to work flattening and shaping the metal to conform perfectly to bumper. The trick is to hammer it WITH heat. That will make it more malleuable (sp?)

Here is the end result of the mounting piece

Now lets mount this mother

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im not even a fan of the actual jdm part BUT i will say this.. heat, hammer, cinder block gets a thumbs up from me.. i did a lot of metal work in highschool loved working with the forge (big ass furnace hammer and anvil)

not crazy about the mod but i do think that you cleaned it up well in the second fitting...

chartinael

5+ Year Member
Why did you put it on the right side ... it belongs always on the drivers side. Also quite close to the exhaust. Also I don't quite understand the wiring .... how exactly to you turn the fog on?

Kristin

xenoicity

Honda Technician
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
blackhope..... i noticed that one of the holes on the back of the fogs arent open, make sure u silicone that up because on the diy i did awhile ago, i didnt use silicon and the water went into it... =)

looks good and similar to mine ... thumbs up. great write up too.

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if it was mounted in the bumper, it would look alot cleaner and be more functional. like in the middle on the left side. that is assuming the light has a rubber mount trim that can cover up the hole you cut.

BlackHopeDC5

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
chartinael said:
Why did you put it on the right side ... it belongs always on the drivers side. Also quite close to the exhaust. Also I don't quite understand the wiring .... how exactly to you turn the fog on?

Kristin
No disrespect..but

BlackHope121 said:
Aight so before i start. I dont want to hear how this isnt the actual JDM way or this isnt how its supposed to be wired.. This is the way i did cause thats the way i wanted it.. ]
As for how it turns on, it comes on with the parking light and blinks alternativly with the right blinker and hazards.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That bracket and mounting place looks much better, but I still think it could be modified a bit more (for example, away from the exhaust). Definately a lot better though. :thumbs up

I would still be interested in seeing this inside a taillight. I think i have some extra ones laying around (not a whole set though, in case anyone's trying to buy anything). Maybe Jason's up for another project soon.

chartinael

5+ Year Member
BH121

My question was about the location not whether or not this was jdm/edm/usdm. I am just asking, why you didn't put it on the driver's side where it in general belongs to function as a foglight (and you do call it foglight) although considering how it functions after you wired it up it is a fog light no longer.

So I take it you didn't put it on because you liked its usefulness and safety aspect.

kristin

BlackHopeDC5

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
chartinael said:
BH121

My question was about the location not whether or not this was jdm/edm/usdm. I am just asking, why you didn't put it on the driver's side where it in general belongs to function as a foglight (and you do call it foglight) although considering how it functions after you wired it up it is a fog light no longer.

So I take it you didn't put it on because you liked its usefulness and safety aspect.

kristin
If thats how you take it... :what:

92EH9

flat black rat
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good write up and screw what people say its your car and its cleaner than half the cars on this site!

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nice write up..i think imma attept to do this..any one have ideas on how i can install it on the bumper..same as front foglights?..im plann'n to just make'em come on when the brakes are pressed..

BlackHopeDC5

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Once you are ready to splice into the brake lights.. dont splice into the red wire.. (that one is the parking light)

splice into the green and white wire.. And then run your other wire to a ground... That will make it come on with the brakes

BlackHopeDC5

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
O btw people.. my fog light is functional according to my friend.. He was folowing me yesterday on the highway.. it was daytime but thunderstorming.... He said the only thing he could see was the rear fog light..through all the mist i was kicking up and the rain.....BOOOYA! :lol: