Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
rear speaker install *hella pics*

these are the rear speakers of a 95 civic ex coupe. other models will be a bit different, but the basic procedure should be similar. my bros 93 accord sedan is almost the same.

this is the bottom of the rear deck, looking at it from the trunk. i already have aftermarket speakers in here, but the procedure is the same if your stockers are in there.

heres the tools you will need - phillips head screwdriver, 10 mm socket, and you might need a drill with a small bit if your speakers dont line up right (like mine)

heres a close up of the speaker

begin by using a 10mm socket or wrench and remove the three nuts holding the speaker in place.

remember, hold onto your nuts!!

if you look straight up at the rear deck, you will see 3 screws, these are holding the speaker grill on. they are a b***h to get to, and they like to fall off the screwdriver and into the padding and are hard to get out. use a kitchen magnet to get them if they become stuck.

the screw closest to the rear of the car is at a pretty crappy angle, and is the hardest to unscrew and the easiest to lose. dont get discouraged!

you should now be able to remove the speaker grill and see your speaker clearly. there is a small clip on the side that might give you some trouble, but it just slides right off. if you pull and the whole rear deck comes up, you missed a screw. go back and re-check that you have 3 bolts and 3 screws. your going to want to unhook the speaker wires from the speakers. you may have clips or a plug, either way remove them so you can pull the speaker out.

now you have to wriggle the whole big plastic speaker holder out of the rear deck. its a pain in the ass, but keep working at it and you will get it. if you pull it up and towards the passenger side of the car it should come out fairly easily.

got it! see that wasnt so bad.

unscrew the stock speaker from the speaker holder, and replace it with your new speaker.

*shameless plug* fosgate owns!!

the holes in my speakers did not line up correctly with the holes in the speaker holder, so i drilled 2 small holes and used self tapping screws to hold the speaker in place. this probably wont be necessary.

thats better, 3 screws holding it in should be sufficient.

take your stock speaker wiring clips and cut them off. the speaker should come with its own clips, if not, you should be able to pick some up cheap. make sure to pay attention to positive and negatives. the small clip is negative, the large one positive. i twisted the wires together and then taped, you can use a twist cap or solder if you want, but its not necessary.

now just reverse the steps, and your done. repeat for the other side. it took me about 20 mins to do the whole process, including the time to drill the new holes. good luck, and pm me with any questions you might have.

BaBy_BLuE_eG8

5+ Year Member
Good write up I'll be doing this tomorrow with my Eg9 thought I'd do some research first... Let's see how those Alpines sound!

ruff_ridaz99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
does anyone know how to take out 6x9 speakers out from 96-00 civics?? don't wanna have to buy $5 instruction manual from crutchfield...help??!! FYI: 96-00 are not as easy as 5th gens...

Jaydles

Too Honest
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Anyway I can get some new working pics?

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for a 96 to 00 civics you have to take out the seats and they brackets they bolt to. the bottom seat that you sit on. Pop the side panels off. Start at the back to take it off! it will save your fingers! then unplug your third brake light. Then pop off the rear deck. that shoudl be it

SweetEBPSi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for a 96 to 00 civics you have to take out the seats and they brackets they bolt to. the bottom seat that you sit on. Pop the side panels off. Start at the back to take it off! it will save your fingers! then unplug your third brake light. Then pop off the rear deck. that shoudl be it
I figured I would tell a little tip that I do with rear deck speakers where practically the whole interior comes out. When you go to replace the rear speakers, instead of top mounting them like the stock ones are, bottom mount them so if you ever had to replace them again, you can unscrew it from the trunk underneath the speaker.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
not bad thinking. maybe ill do that when i do my swap to power locks and stuff