How To: Rear Tow Hook Installation

Civicpmp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Get hooked on with rear TOW HOOK!!! DIY...

Okay everyone, since a lot of poeple have problem wondering how the heck people can install a tow hook. It is pretty simple. I myself got stuck it for a while until I keep staring at the hook and the stock hook, wondering how the heck would I get this thing on...

You will need 2 wrenches, socket 13/16 and 3/4 for DATUM1 Towhook kit.

On the this hatch, the hook bolt on the existing stock hook so there is no need to mod...
First check out my rear hook on my hatch. Very stock huh??

Take a look at my tools and hook supplies.

Now this step might be import, you must place the 2 bolt in and tighten firmly to adjust your alignment on the hook.

Tighting down your last bolt and firmly push. By pushing, rocking to see if your hook is not stable. iF it does not rock, then your done.... This how it looks like...

This how it looks like when I was done with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

91SIHatch

SOHC IT
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sweet great pictures....

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:thumbs up nice write up d00d.

Civicpmp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks guys, i had a heard time understanding until my cousin, Founder of Datum1, guided me out.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
nice write up! thinking of doing this as my next exterior mod now ;)

but how are aftermarket towhooks with rear lips? i have a 99 coupe (if that makes ne diff) and i may get a rear lip...

Civicpmp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
amej8 said:
nice write up! thinking of doing this as my next exterior mod now ;)

but how are aftermarket towhooks with rear lips? i have a 99 coupe (if that makes ne diff) and i may get a rear lip...
It shouldn't bug your rear lips when you have the hook on... It should be fine with the rear lip, actually makes it better. Try looking at http://ww.datum1.com and see some various colors availible.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Lil_falco said:
WTF does this do?
It offers less of a chance of tow trucks messing up your lowered car if the need for a tow ever arises.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Installs just the way I figured it would. :what:

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
*SilverBullet* said:
also allow's thieves to tow your car in neutral to another location
Most theives won't have access to a tow truck.... but he is in a highly populated area known for problems with theft so his chance of getting towed anyway is pretty high compared to many other parts of the country. Then again, they could tow it without the tow hook.

The tow hook just being there just means it's going to be a flashy little piece on your car that would be relatively easy for someone to walk away with it.

JDM-JNKY

In JDM We Trust
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I didn't say anything about a tow truck they could just get a chain or sumthin and hook it up to their getaway car and tow it to another location.I wouldn't put on those damn thing's.

CivicEX13

CC's Valve Cover Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats why my car doesnt go anywhere where it is goni to be parked with me not around...good write up man!

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
*SilverBullet* said:
I didn't say anything about a tow truck they could just get a chain or sumthin and hook it up to their getaway car and tow it to another location.I wouldn't put on those damn thing's.
There is a factory tow hook too. They can hook up the chain to that just as easy.

And why would you leave it in neutral with no brake on anyway?

Civicpmp

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
HAHAHA, Yea, why would you park your car without Parking brakes, or leaving on neutral? Well if I think it's kind of hard if the tow a car with the brakes on. Not only that, I got a autolock on it as well. So it will be hard to even step on the brake to get in neutral.

JDM-JNKY

In JDM We Trust
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm talking about after they break into your car and take all that s**t off if they don't wanna turn the car on where it is than they can just tow it somewhere else using those gay tow hook's.I'm not talking about doing it with it in gear and everything durrrrrr..