How To: Rear Window Washer Intervall Controll Unit

chartinael

5+ Year Member
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor this board administration take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

AIM: Following is a short installation instruction for all folks who do not wish to clean their rear window wiper but would prefer added functionality:

Needed tools:
- Phillips screw driver (a leatherman's wave multitool is my perferred tool for all things car related)
- Soldering iron, soldering tin
- shrinking tube
- insulation removing device
- ratchet with 10er nut
- insulation tape, black

Needed spare parts:
- Rear window washer/wiper control unit (Civic, CRV, HRV - HRV has different colored wiring)
- mounting bracket
- 10er bolt

Let's start with the theoretical stuff.
Circuit diagram without unit:

Circuit diagram with unit:

Adjusted diagram:

So what does the latter tell us?
- all needed wires are found at the steering wheel
- we have to cut, repin and solder pretty much all of them
At steering wheel connector:
1. Wire at Pos. 2 not used .... remove (take small screw driver, loosen latch in connector, pull out wire) (LT GRN/BLK)
2. Wire at Pos. 1 (LT GRN) and wire at Pos. 4 (GRN) need to be joined (I replaced LT GRN/BLK wth GRN/YEL from spare harness I keep in basement). Here you will need to join 4 wire ends into one soldering joint - 2 from steering wheel connectorand one from control unit connector and one from dashboard pigtail
3. Wire at Pos. 3 (BLK) must be connected to LT GRN/RED from control unit connector (I replaced that with a LT GRN/RED from the basement)
4. Wire at Pos. 6 (GRN/BLK) to be connected to same type wire at control unit plug AND wireing end of dashboard pigtail

At control unit connector:
1. Wire at Pos. 4 (BLK) to be connected to same in dashboard pigtail
2. Wire at Pos. 2 (LT GRN/BLK) to be connected to same in dashboard pigtail
3. Wire at Pos. 3 (LT GRN) to be connected to same in dashboard pigtail

So now we are ready to start:
1. Remove lower drivers side dashboard panel
2. Remove steering wheel covers3. Alle Stecker abziehen
4. Untape wiring harness

5. Cut wires of washer wiper switch (ONLY THE WIRES THAT LEAD TO THE CONNECTOR!!!)

6. Connect, solder and heat shrink respective wires

7. Return harness to pre-diy state

8. If you didn't do so at beginning, mount control unit to dashboard now - I did it at the beginning because it facilitates finding the right length for cut and soldering joints
9. Replug all connectors
10. Replace all panels

Test for functionality: Yep, works like a charm.

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the write up!

Moved to how-to's

chartinael

5+ Year Member
Hey, shouldn't I at least be able to edit? Anyhow,

Short vid [mpg 5MB]

Picture of unit and part number will follow. Does not conflict with interlock unit .... need to find different place though as interlock unit occupies intermittend rear wiper control unit location

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
where can i get one of these? anyone have a picture of what they look like?