How To: Remove lid from cup holder (96-98)

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I got tired of looking at that damn lid. It looked retarted open, and more retarted closed. So I finally did something about as my console was apart.

Materials:
Phillips screw driver
Small flat head screw driver
Needle nose pliers
Some time

1. Ok, take your console apart and unscrew the cup holder section. Im not going throught this with you, theres other how to's about that.

2. Flip the cup holder upside down and if you look throught the red circles, there is to small black rods.
With the small flat head, push those outward.
With the pliers, pull out the small rods.
Also, theres a white sprocket in the middle (not shown) remove that as well.

3. Now go back to the top of cup holder and remove the center part outlined in red.

4. With that part off, use the small flat head again to push the larger rod (the black line) out.
Again, use the pliers to pull that bigger rod out.
Now pull of all the small pieces (Quarter black sprocket, spring lookin thing, and rod)

5. Now take off the lid and bam, now you have gotten rid of that annoying lid and made some space if you want to move the radio to the lower part.

6. Put everything back and you should be good to go!

kaace

I'm getting there...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
nice how to...i did the same thing...i moved my CD player down low and ABS'ed the stock location...had to get rid of the lid...even though the radio is a b***h to reach...its out of sight...

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If anyone wants it, I think we have one sitting around here without a lid already.

I have a stock Si radio behind my cup holder lid though. Aftermarket radios fit better there though because they don't usually have the giant volume knob that the stock ones have.

badpinoy

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i've always was wondering how i could get that stupid lid off. haha the lid on mine never closed it has a miss hatch. so when i do finally have some time to relocate my radio and get the block of din i'll be sure to do this as well. free bump i think more people would like to know how to do this

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i used to see everyone asking to buy a 96/98 cup holder. now they are taking the lids off? :what: why not just buy a 99/00 cupholder then? good write up anyway i guess

X-aCuTiOnA

W.W.H.D.?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wannabe said:
i used to see everyone asking to buy a 96/98 cup holder. now they are taking the lids off? :what: why not just buy a 99/00 cupholder then? good write up anyway i guess
Beacause $free.99 is the BEST price :D

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did this today... I hated that lid. i am a happy man now. nice writeup.

retoddid06

5+ Year Member
I Am Looking For...

anyone got a 96-98 cupholder with cd player mount they are looking to trade... i found a way to mount my head unit without the honda assembly, however i woudl rather have the cupholder and mount to make it look better, as of now i need to fabricate somethign in place of the cup holder to fill the hole i have down there, any ideas or any one wanna trade

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ill take all your old lids.. :oh:

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ill take all the other parts you guys dont want, i.e a b18c swap

jdmej7

JdM ?UaN
5+ Year Member
i removed mine by accident one day it broke so i just broke it off then took all the lil peices that were broken off then put the middle cover back on and it looked good. . .

hooked_on4

RegularFlush
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
errrr my 95's cup holders are much worse then these IMO, can't break free....