How to remove resonator (airbox) from stock intake

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've searched and seen lots of DIY but none with pictures that explain whats going on...
I am very visual...I don't mind Creating a nice DIY with lots of pictures while doing it =)

I've taken some pictures and if you guys can help explain to me whats going on. I'd be greatfull.

1) what is that plastic teg thing doing?

2) What is that box on the left of the airfilter doing??

3) AirBox

4) Airbox with no Case

5) Airbox with no case or airfilter

6) SideView

7) SideBottom View

Looking at picture5. I am a little confused WHATS GOING ON..
I know the air has to go threw the filter. So its going UP from that hole in that square. into that rubbery tube into my engine.
Down that rabbit hole, I am guessing it goes to my left fender?
But then whats going on? whats this (picture 6) is it not taking the air from the fender but from the top left??

Where is the resonator? ...

xdr3amx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
picture 2 the box you circle is what us american call a resonator

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
xdr3amx said:
picture 2 the box you circle is what us american call a resonator
that is correct ;) and only way to truely get rid of it is either #1) get a cai/sri or #2) order the spoon elbow, or do a diy and get the dremel and hack away (like i'm gonna do) i'll let ya know how it works out :lol:

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks xdr3amx.

Where's the air from the hole comming from? (picture5)
Down the pipe to the fender from what I can see. But where is the resonator and the piping going up to it (picture 6) comming from

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TilhasBB said:
Thanks xdr3amx.

Where's the air from the hole comming from? (picture5)
Down the pipe to the fender from what I can see. But where is the resonator and the piping going up to it (picture 6) comming from
there is a "u-style" tube that goes in the fender well

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This is what you mean by a Spoon??

Does the Air get sucked in from the resonator DOWN, into fender up into the hole to the air filter to the engine???

j_fuckin_t> What U?

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TilhasBB said:
This is what you mean by a Spoon??

Does the Air get sucked in from the resonator DOWN, into fender up into the hole to the air filter to the engine???

j_fuckin_t> What U?
the spoon elbow is like 300 bucks and it totally removes the resonator, oc_civic has one maybe he'll chime in w/ a pic for ya

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
from the airbox (where the filter is), a tube goes right under that filter down, then a box box (resonator) branches off of it in the corner of your bumper, then that same tube comes back up just left of the filter (u can see it in picture #5).

there are like 5 bolts u have to take off. 2 up top, 1 right in the corner of ur bumper, 1 somewhat underneath the car towards the bottom of the resonator tubing, and another just under the filter where the U-shaped tube starts.

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I don't mean to be stupid or anything... But I don't see how this works...
I found this

K... from my understanding

AIR goes down to 1, to 2, to 3... Then what??
Where is the resonator? shouldn't it be a box in the fender?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the box with the 3 red "???"'s under it is part of the resonator system. the U shaped tube and the box are bolted together as one unit. its just the picture shows what the whole resonator setup consists of if u need to buy a certain little part.

air goes down 3, into the box, then up 2 then 1 then filter, etc... or something like that. all the box does is quiet the sound of the air. hence the loudness when u floor it with the resonator removed.

like i said before, it consists of like 5 bolts. the top 2 are the easiest, followed by 1 in the corner of the bumper (is right in ur face when u take off the bumper...cant miss it) which is the next easiest, followed by 1 (i think) under the car which is the next easiest, followed by the b***h in the engine bay just under the filter box.

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
amej8>
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Makes sense now thanks =)

1) I've done a lot of searching. Its suppose to give it a louder roar. but some people say it lowers the response time in the low end.
"The resonators are a complicated tuned interface designed by Honda engineers that provide an additive intake resonace that aids air/fuel mixing and delivery to the combusition chamber. (I believe this is indicated also by Spoon who only provide a drop in filter for the DC2 rather than a whole intake system or CAI; or Mugen who have invested a lot of R&D into their tuned airbox).
Thus removing the resonator will actually harm the performance of your Honda (and goes for generic CAI and intakes)."

2) Lots of people say RESET the ECU once I do this... or change my exhaust by unplugging the car battery and replugging it... True or not?

3) I can just remove the bottom resonator. Will I need a pipe to connect the rest?

If i do it this weekend. Promise lots of pics =) (which i am sure you;ve noticed i love)

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
see my plan is to take and hollow out the bottom of the resonator, THEN enlarge the opening in the airbox all while leaving the resonator top piece on (it will be hollow underneath) then cut the sri that i have accordingly ;)

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
TilhasBB said:
amej8>
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Makes sense now thanks =)
np ;)

TilhasBB said:
1) I've done a lot of searching. Its suppose to give it a louder roar. but some people say it lowers the response time in the low end.
"The resonators are a complicated tuned interface designed by Honda engineers that provide an additive intake resonace that aids air/fuel mixing and delivery to the combusition chamber. (I believe this is indicated also by Spoon who only provide a drop in filter for the DC2 rather than a whole intake system or CAI; or Mugen who have invested a lot of R&D into their tuned airbox).
Thus removing the resonator will actually harm the performance of your Honda (and goes for generic CAI and intakes)."
yeah actually once u take off the resonator, ull notice a very slight drop in low end performance. i noticed a little difference when i had mine off for like 6 months. top end is the same really but low end, it felt like a snail (more than a civic already is ;))

TilhasBB said:
2) Lots of people say RESET the ECU once I do this... or change my exhaust by unplugging the car battery and replugging it... True or not?
change ur exhaust if u get an aftermarket intake? why? u dont need to but headers and an exhaust would help the intake with air flow both in/out of the car. and yes once u change the intake, most likely ull get a CEL (check engine light). theres a diy on here of how to reset the ecu if u dont know if u search.

TilhasBB said:
3) I can just remove the bottom resonator. Will I need a pipe to connect the rest?
the U-shape tube is connected to the box. its one whole big unit as i said earlier. that pipe doesnt actually connect to the filter box. it just sits inside that hole. so once u get all the bolts out, the u-shape tube AND the box will come out as one thing. this doesnt harm the upper intake system remaining on the car in any way. its just now instead of sucking air in thru the tube, it'll just suck air in thru the bottom of the filter box.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the spoon elbow goes like this.. ;)

picked it up for like 200

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks amej8 & oc_civic

Aeee. Noise for Loss of low end power. I don't like that idea.
i hate having almost no power on my low end. I am trying to increase it not decrease it...

1)K So CAI or SR... Which of those would help my Low end?

2) Muffler help my Low end? (Thinking Twin Loop)

3) Headers I know will lower my lowend power.

4) What can I do to increase my Lowend?

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TilhasBB said:
look if you want low end torque get a new car plain and simple or boost it , NONE of the stuff you mentioned will make a "feelable" difference, civics are econoboxes w/ a lil bit of top end power and thats it, but i suppose do what ya like

manu

5+ Year Member
TilhasBB said:
Thanks amej8 & oc_civic

Aeee. Noise for Loss of low end power. I don't like that idea.
i hate having almost no power on my low end. I am trying to increase it not decrease it...

1)K So CAI or SR... Which of those would help my Low end?

2) Muffler help my Low end? (Thinking Twin Loop)

3) Headers I know will lower my lowend power.

Smaller tyres will give you more low end... changing gear ratios will give you more low end.... and i guess a different car would work too..lol

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
lol for what its worth, get a new car/motor if u want low end power.

1) - i would suppose short ram would help low end but thats just a guess. im just going with SRI cuz the air travels a shorter distance. and either way with SRI or CAI, ur sucking in warm air until u get going.

2) - :what:

3) - well 4-2-1 headers are known to help with low-mid range power and 4-1 with top end power.

4) - new car/motor or boost/juice. all the bolt-ons available for a civic wouldnt do much.

TilhasBB

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lol.... okay i get the point..
I'll save up for an engine swap. useless d16y8 :P

Thinking of building my own air intake. put it on the bottom left corner down but not as low as a CAI. open up a nice spot for air com come in from outside

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
TilhasBB said:
lol.... okay i get the point..
I'll save up for an engine swap. useless d16y8 :P

Thinking of building my own air intake. put it on the bottom left corner down but not as low as a CAI. open up a nice spot for air com come in from outside
i have a bottle fed y8 and i spray in 1st at like 3k+.. it moves pretty good... ;)