TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
How-To submitted by Vtecademics

Within the first few weeks of my new halos, the leds went out. This How-to describes step-by-step on how to replace the leds in your headlights. This is a pretty straight-forward project.
Here's what you need..
Most of which you can get from Radio Shack

1-day free
8- 5mm 3.7 volt 20Ma 2600mcd LEDS whatever color you choose
4- 220-Ohm 1/4 watt 5% resistors
-hook up wire
-clear silicone tube
-electrical tape
-solder
-solder gun
-heat gun

First off, remove your headlights. Assuming that you know how to remove them, i wont do a how-to on that.

Remove the 4 top and bottom retainer clips around the headlight housing.

With your heat gun, heat the glue around the housing, be very patient do not melt the plastic. *also do not put in the oven, it WILL melt the housing.

Now you have your headlight split, congrats you are finished with the toughest step.

Remove the screws that retain the halo and the housing.

Now you have access to your halo rings.

The leds are held in by plastic-like glue. Heat the glue with your heat gun being careful not to warp the ring.

Remove the leds with whatever suits you.

The longer leg of the led is the positive...

Line two leds up side be side positive to postive, negative to negative, and solder them together. Then electrical tape them because you dont want positve touching negative.

Put the leds into place and seal them with some silicone.

Connect your resistors to the end of you wire. Solder, then tape. Red lines of the resistor in the direction toward the leds.

Run the line back through the holes of the inner housing. (I had to dremel a bigger hole so the lines would fit through.) Remember to replace your screws

Now replace the outer housing by heating the glue.

Seal the headlight with silicone. (water is not good inside of your headlight) I used liquid nails to seal it because it wont yellow.

Wipe the silicone smooth with a paper towel.

Your result..

And your final result. It was worth the work.

How-To submitted by Vtecademics

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.