How To: Replace A Broken Lug Stud (Rear Drum)

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sorry about no DIY YET on the fronts. After this write up, I ended up moving, and just got caught up w/everything. I should have a front DIY here within the next month or so. :thumbs up

DEFIANT

1OO% PINOY
5+ Year Member
Excellent!

Now we need is the front... I also need to replace mine :(

So... updates?

93eg93

5+ Year Member
Perfect timing, I'm currently working on changing my rear drum brakes to disc brakes. This write up is actually giving an idea to change the reg. studs to extended studs.

thanks for the write up. It will help me out big time!

B16a2_ek

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
front yet? i tried a trick from youtube.. definitely did not work on an ek. oh well let us know if u got it posted..

ST8JDM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hella good i could of used it 5months ago when i broke 2 out it was hell doing it on the side of a street

ericchile

5+ Year Member
Nice write up.... but I tried this myself this weekend on my 99 civic. And before I took the cap off the hub I looked at it and thought there is enough room to remove and put a stud on the right side right in the middle. Surf enough I was able pound out the stud and replace without even moving the hub... I have small fingers though.

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Will it be the same for a 01 Civic?

chow

Its hard to convert KMH
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks to this write up i was able to replace my rear driver side wheel stud on my EJ.

but instead of just replacing the one i replaced all four on that hub because DONT DO THIS--> stupid me put the hub with the studs into the wheel and hammered them back in that way, because they will damage the threads on the other studs. :smackself

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
good write up. i used most of this to replace my rear wheel bearing.

but you shouldn't have stood on the wrench to torque the axle nut. the torque spec is only 134 ft-lbs. 230ft-lbs is way too much and can cause premature bearing failure. fyi.

kb_ranch

5+ Year Member
Does anyone know of a quick and easy way of replacing a broken FRONT lug stud....on a 96 civic?

jamesyboy

5+ Year Member
dats watt iam talkin about a proper write up nice 1 man, save me sum cash i was goin to get a new hub thanks man.........................................................................................

ej6sliver

back from the deaddd
great freakin write up man, it helped me a lot
but i actually didnt do the steps after i took that drum cover off...
i hammered the 2 broken stud (i have 2 i must be special, *facepalm*) out without removing the centre cap and the 32mm nut
i was able to take out the broken stud and put new ones in just like that
i had to put the wheel nut in and tighten it up, wheel nut out again, put the drum cover on (e-brake on), wheel nut tighten it again
then i took the cover out(e-brake off) and check, it worked
only did this becuz i dont have any other tooks in house and i cant take the silver plate out...

can anyone tell me if thats safe, or even sound safe? cuz i dont wanna take it to a shop to them to double check
i took it for a spin and it seems ok

but good write up still

thanks braa

SmArTs

need help stuck...

Hey yo I did the lug stud removal to my eg sedan but apperantly the right rear drum hub doesn't come slide off...what should I do to remove it...?I'm intalling extended lug studs but just need that corner...