How To: Replace a Fuel Filter

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Since my del Sol has over 200k on it, and noticing that the fuel filter was quite bad looking, I decided to change it out. Such an easy task to do, yet a very overlooked maintenance item. This was performed on a 94 del Sol, but should be the same process for all Civics with a firewall mounted fuel filter.

Time Needed:
About 15-20 minutes, depending on how fast you work.

Materials Needed:
shop rags
fuel filter (with copper crush gaskets)

Tools Needed:
9/16 brake line flare wrench
10mm socket
3/8" extention
ratchet
17mm wrench (or a socket works too)

I take no responsibility to anything you damage or break. Work at your own risk!

Before you begin, loosen your gas cap to release the pressure in the fuel system. Pop your hood, and you'll be looking at something similar to this:

The fuel filter is that little round thing thats bolted to the firewall, to the right of your battery. Boy that looks horrid.

To get started, use your 9/16 flare wrench to loosen and remove the fuel line going into the right side of the filter. Make sure to place your shop rags underneith the filter to soak up any fuel that will leak out. Next, use your 17mm wrench (or socket/ratchet), and loosen and remove the line on the left side of the filter that connects it to the fuel rail. As you remove the bolt, be sure to remove any copper crush gaskets on either side of the line.

Now that you have both fuel lines disconnected from the filter, you'll want to loosen (or remove if you so choose) the holder/braket that keeps the filter in place. Its a 10mm bolt, and its sort of a pain to get to. I used a 3" extention, and got the ratched in between the filter itself and the battery. (Bolt is circled in red, but you must remove it from the opposite side.)

Once you either loosen or remove the bolt, remove both the filter and the bracket (or wiggle the filter up out of the bracket). Be carefull as you do so, because its still full of fuel.

Old, nasty filter with the bracket attached.

Where the new filter will go.

Old filter, new filter, and the bracket (from left to right).

Installation of the new filter is simply the reverse of removal. Attach both lines to the filter (the copper crush gaskets go on both sides of the left most, rubber, line. One between the bolt and the line, and another between the line and the filter), reinstall the filter into the bracket, and reinstall the bracket onto the main bracket thats attached to the firewall.

Nice, shiny new filter.

Make sure everything is all tightened up, tighten your gas cap, and start the motor up. Make sure nothing is leaking. If you see no gas leaking from the lines, your set and job is finished. If you see fuel leaking from the lines, either the lines arent tight, or you forgot to install the copper gaskets.

:thumbs up

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Another worthy write-up bro! This should help out those that would need it.:thumbs up