How To: Replace Front Speakers.

stolibears

Use your dipstick Jimmy!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
How To Replace Front Speakers

Picked up some speakers from Crutchfield this past weekend and installed them. Very easy install, thought I would share. The speakers I got are 6 1/2" round for the doors in my civic si 00. They fit exactly where the factory speakers are without any modifications to the door. Only hard part is cutting and splicing the wires.

Tools:

1. Wire strippers / wire cutters.
  2. Phillips screwdriver.
  3. White Electrical Tape.
  4. Sharpie Pen.

Optional Tools (recommended):

Soldering Iron

Skill:

Procedure:

1. I know this is a simple step, but some people.... Make sure the car is completely off, or else you could risk blowing a fuse.
  2. Take the speaker cover off from the door panel, which should come off easily.

3. Unscrew the screws holding the speakers into the door panel, should be 3 screws. Save the screws because you will be using them again to put in the new speakers.
  4. Carefully pull the speaker out, notice that the speaker is connected with a wire harness. Also notice that there are 4 wires, which are paired into two, one for positive, one for negative. (Reason that I have 4 is because with the si, I have the tweeter at the corner of the door. I am guessing those without the tweeter will only have 2 wires.)

5. Flip the speaker over so that the harness is on the bottom.
  6. Take one pair that looks like it is connected at the harness, and measure about 3 inches from the harness on the wire, and attach a piece of the tape to the pair.
  7. As you look at the back of the speaker with the harness down, from left to right, mark the pieces of tape with the sharpie pen; LEFT is -Negative RIGHT is +Positive.

8. Cut the wires about 1-2 inches from the harness. Leave a little wire on the harness just in case you want to install the factory speakers back.
  9. Take the wiring that came with your speakers (hopefully you have them, if not you may have to solder them to the speaker). Measure out about 6" inches from the connectors and cut the wire.
  10. With the pieces of tape again, mark which one is the -negative and which is the +positive.
  11. Splice all the wires (make sure to splice enough to twist together later). The ones in the door panel, and the ones you got from the new speakers.
  12. Take the wires that you marked +positive from the door and the +positive from the wires you just cut from the new speakers and twist them together.
  13. Repeat with the -negative.

**Optional after twisting the - to - and + to + use a soldering iron and solder to make a more secure connection.

14. Cover all exposed wires with the electrical tape.

15. Attach the wire connectors to the speaker. The -negative connector should have a smaller terminal then the +postive so you can't mix em up.

16. Turn the car on and make sure you get sound from the new speaker. If you don't your gonna have to turn off the car and make sure that all the wires are connected and that you didn't make a mistake marking your + and -.
  17. If all goes well, you can screw the new speaker back to the door panel. There should be several holes on the rim of the speaker, and you may have to rotate the speaker to line up to the correct set of holes.
  18. Put the cover back and repeat with the other door.

new speaker installed, factory speaker

speakers match the color of my car

another shot

*some images were borrowed from crutchfield.com
This has been

charles_00Civic

CC'S Longest Running Noob
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
To conenct em buy some round connector put the wires in and clamp both ends. Put a bit of electrical tape on after. Good DIY I wanted to know what size speakers wwere in my civic. The back are 6 byu 9 right?
i have an SE btw. (2000)

stolibears

Use your dipstick Jimmy!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
yeah i think they are 6x9, but you might want to double check. i think crutchfield and bestbuy both have online tools to match up speakers with models of cars.

Good tip on the connectors if you don't solder them together.

ketadotdot

aka babymilo36
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
matching.. nice!

artur1808

Would the process be the same for the rear 6x9's? I've been searching for a diy thread for the rears and haven't been able to find one.

smooveCRiMiNAL

5+ Year Member
Would the process be the same for the rear 6x9's? I've been searching for a diy thread for the rears and haven't been able to find one.

the process of connecting the speakers is the same, but depending on your model getting to the rear speakers is a pain in the a$$. you got a coupe?

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
rears are a b***h. you have to take out the seats. brackets. side panels and rear panel

artur1808

Yeah, I have a coupe. It seems like if I just fold my seats down I have access to the speakers. But I'm sure if I tried to remove them, I would come across some sort of problems.

TigBitties

Frame Bangin
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ha yeah. you would have problems. those side panels in the back gotta come out.

Mugenn_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey.. i was jsut wondering, im planning on running a 4way amp to the speakers... what do i do with those wires that were exposed after removing the stock speaker?

silverstreak98

5+ Year Member
thats why i love the my hatch to get to my 6x9's in the back its only 2 screw on each side n the cover pops right off :D