Not open for further replies.

6sic6

Nt brn w/enuf midl fngrs
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Suspension How To - Lowering

Someone brought to my attention that this thread disappeared so, for some of you newbies I'll repost it.

Disclaimer, be forewarned.... this how to is to be done without using a spring compressor. I'll agree it's probably safer to use a spring compressor but, for those of you who have used one.... you know they're not worth it. So, if you use my How to I am in no way responsible for whatever damage you may cause to your vehicle or to yourself. 8)

Tools you'll need:
-6 point metric sockets
-Hammer
-Utility knife, if you need to cut your bump stops
-Phillips screwdriver and a Punch (not in the face but, to tap some bolts through)
-A Jack, your siccor jack that came with your civic will work too
-jack stands (use at your discretion)

The Front:
First, I hope you're smart enough to realize you need to take your wheel off. Oh, and make sure the car is jacked up before you take that wheel off! :lol:

it'll look something like this:

The first bolt you need to get outta there is this one, it's at the bottom of your front strut assembly:

You'll need to tap the bolt through using a phillips screwdriver or a punch to tap it through, you'll probably have to wiggle it all around a lil to get it out too.

Once you have that out, there's another lil bolt holding this arm onto your strut. You should be able to just loosen this enough to get the strut out but, I had to take the bolt completely out before mine would come out.

Here's what the arm looks like if you can get it out of there:

This is where I skip out on the spring compressor. Once you've got the strut assembly all disconnected from below go up top and find the three nuts holding it in place. Before you go any further it's probably a good idea to put a rolled up blanket or piece of carpet lining your inner fender just to help insure that the spring won't dent or come thru your inner fender. Don't worry mine didn't even come close to doing that but, better safe than sorry. Okay, the middle nut, #2 in the picture is the one you want to slowly loosen. Be sure no one is standing on around your fender well also. Continue slowly loosening this bolt until its completely off. The strut assembly will pop out thru the bottom. Be sure to find all washers that may have came off and fell to the ground. I cover the other two nuts #1 and #3 a lil later....

Here's what they'll look like

Now, you can either take those other 2 nuts off or leave them on. It just kinda depends on how you wanna reassemble it. If you take the other 2 nuts off you'll get the mounting piece that holds the spring and strut in place. You don't have to take it off, it's actually easier to just leave it there and move on. Now, if you're installing aftermarket shocks you'll probably have to get a few things off of the old strut assemblies. You'll need everything you see on the strut that didn't come with your new strut. There is a washer you'll need to get off that may require a hammer to get to your bumpstop. Aftermarket suspension doesn't travel as far as your old stock suspention therefore you need to trim off part of your old bumpstop before placing it in there. Cut it in half and use the thicker part *some people say you should only cut 1/4-1/3 of the stop off... you be the judge. If you're installing actual coilovers they should come with everything you'll need.

Now just reassemble your new shocks with your new springs in the same manner that your old stuff came apart, it should look something like this

Or like this if you took off those other 2 nuts and got the mounting piece with it

*Be sure to line up the dimple on the back of the front struts that has to be aligned with the split in the back of the fork.

The Rear:
Once you've done the front, you'll breeze through the rear. 8) It's very much like the front and you probably won't need this how to for it.
Before you jack it up and take the wheels off get into your trunk. You'll have to move back some of your carpeted panels to get to upper stut towers in the rear. Get this panelling back so you can see the towers, that way you're not crawling around in there while the vehicle is jacked up.
The first nut and bolt you need outta there is here, You'll have to get this out otherwise the arm will be in the way and you won't be able to get the strut assembly out. *(From a friends past experiences, "2 out of the 50 plus hondas that I have dropped, 2/3s of them have the rear bottom 14mm bolt, that holds the strut to the lower arm, seized up and have to be cut out and a new bushing pressed in. So "breezing" through the rear doesnt always happen.")

The next one is here just like the front it's the bottom bolt of the strut assembly.

Here's what it will look like except your strut assembly will still be hangin there:

Now, you'll have to get in the trunk and do the same with the 3 nuts as before. Line your inner fender then, slowly turn that center nut. Once that thing pops outta there reassemble it all just like the front. You may also need an extra washer in this area.... depending on the aftermarket products you are using. I had to use a small one with my coilovers. Sometimes the arms are just too wide and it'll give you too much play.

Put your wheels back on and you're done.... take that bad boy for a spin. 8)

Most pictures were compiled from my own installation but, others were borrowed from turbod16.com. Here is the thread I used so you can compare and also just to give you a lil more confidence before your installation: http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?t=2702

Attachments

Last edited:

6sic6

Nt brn w/enuf midl fngrs
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mr. Lin said:
ah, we miss Hix.
You shouldn't miss me. 8)

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
good write up...i like how everyone has there own way of doing this without a spring compressor...
i took the whole thing off
like so

then standing behind it put an impact gun to the top...cover it with a blackent and shoot it off...the nuts, and washer will fly off...but they will stay under the blanket where you can find them...and they wont hit someone

EG-Owns you

Twin Tech Owns Your s**t!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
chadi said:
good write up...i like how everyone has there own way of doing this without a spring compressor...
i took the whole thing off
like so

then standing behind it put an impact gun to the top...cover it with a blackent and shoot it off...the nuts, and washer will fly off...but they will stay under the blanket where you can find them...and they wont hit someone

screw taht it isnt a day of work tell some one gets a lil bit hurt duh :roll:

renegadex96

Captain Obvious
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
talk about weird coicidences...i've been looking for a DIY to do this, i've been meaning to lower mine again for a while. Now how about a write up for installing a camber kit

great write up btw, gonna be a huge help

milkbean

5+ Year Member
how can i convert into a 5lug?

hey Im new to the whole forum thing....yeh fng....but i wanted to know about converting my 95 coupe in to a 5lug. my buddy gave me a set of 06 rsx wheels i think theyll look clean on my dropped civic, any advise on how to mount these rims on my ride?

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
milkbean said:
hey Im new to the whole forum thing....yeh fng....but i wanted to know about converting my 95 coupe in to a 5lug. my buddy gave me a set of 06 rsx wheels i think theyll look clean on my dropped civic, any advise on how to mount these rims on my ride?
yeah, put on 5lug suspension.

00Civ1c

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Damn I hope this thread helps me out when I put my coilovers on this weekend or the next. That's a really good write up by the way good job man.

///AMii

6sic6

Nt brn w/enuf midl fngrs
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Is this thing even stickied?

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I dont think that its stickied but it is in the archives.

BaBy_BLuE_eG8

5+ Year Member
Good write up I should be putting some new shocks/struts on once the Spring comes around. Anyone have suggestions on what are the best ones for a good reasonable price? I was thinking Koni Yellow's or KYB GR2's?

Kyrstie

5+ Year Member
dude thank you so much =)
Im doing mine tomorrow.... hopefully ahah.
I dont have a spring compressor so im always pretty scared when i dont use one but ohwell! lol.

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
for the spring part, i just took the whole assembly off, put the top against a wall, put my foot on the springs, and used a combo wrench. the shock will shoot backwards maybe 4-5 inches, but the washers and all parts will pretty much be right there in order

usdm.ehtu

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
"for some of you newbies I'll repost it. "

newbies doing suspension work shouldnt be attempting this without a spring compressor in the first place...but there is a disclaimer so to each there own.....

eskateboarding7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just rent a spring compressor......it's free they refund the deposit. Anyway, besides that little safety encouragement, this is a great writeup, i used it to do mine at the beginning of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.