How To: Swap Guage Clusters.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How-To: swap gauge clusters

ok, im sick of every n00b asking "how do i put a tach in my <insert tachless car here>" so here, i took a pic of EVERYTHING (well almost) you need to do to swap a cluster with a tach from your gen into your car. and if a mod wants, this may be useful in the n00b section, this way we can smack anyone who ask about this evar again. to begin:

STEP1: ok, here is the cluster i am about to swap. yes it already has a tach, but thats not the point, im swapping it anyways.

STEP2: you need to remove the bezel from the dash that surrounds the cluster. remove 2 screws right above cluster going upwards. if you have a 5th gen, dont forget about the screw under the hazards switch (pictured) use a flathead to remove and unplug switch, and remove screw

STEP3: remove the bezel. it can be done by hand on a 6th gen... but i prefer to use a flathead for 5th gens; i start at the right side vent and pop that out, then pop the left out and thats should be it. now dont yank it out, you gotta remove the plug for the clock (even if you dont have clock, you still got a plug) you should be here now (notice 2 plugs)-->

STEP4: now its time to yank that cluster out. remove 4 screws on either side of cluster, them pull out slightly. may need some pursuasion b/c it wont fit through the gap exactly. now just unplug the harnesses (pictured) dont worry bout what plugs i have and you have, i have an extra b/c of auto. just unplug them all.

STEP5: now before you just put the new one in, you may want to swap speedos to maintain mileage. its hella easy. here are the subjects:

now on the back, you will see 3 screws in the middle(pictured), thats what holds the speedo, just remove the screws.

then just press in all the clips that hold the clear face onto the cluster and remove it along with the speedo. here you can see both removed with the backs. notice how one has colored inserts for the indicators(turn signals, check engine light, ect...) im not sure if it was like that for dif years or models. you may need to swap those as well (i did)

STEP6: reverse time. now just put the speedos back in the appropriate cluster, pop the front face on, screw in speedos, clip harnesses into new cluster(idiot proof, they only go in one one), replace the 4screws (test cluster before you put everything else on)*edit: when you test cluster on 5th gen, you need to plug the hazard switch in or the blinkers wont work*, replace dash bezel (dont forget clock harness for 5th gens), you may need to play with the bezel to get it to sit right(just gotta make sure the speed clips seat right or the bezel will not be flush), 5th gens replace the screw behind hazards, replace the hazards harness and pop the switch back in. and your done! now go have fun with your new, stock tach. see, plug and play like we keep saying.

for sheetz and giggles, you can play with the cluster while its out the car and take pics of crazy stuff and see what idiots believe, "check out what the dx auto can do..."

and if you are wondering why i swapped a cluster with tach out, this is why, no speedo swapping here:

Nameyga

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey if im having problems with my Tach being of by 500rpm I can do this and just move it you think it will work?

brown22

5+ Year Member
hey the pics dont work in this anymore and i need to swap a tach haha anyway you can fix them?

Bangin' HB

surfing member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i thought i asked for the pics to be hosted on this site when i made this back in like 03 or 04, guess they never got hosted, or got mixed up when the site changed a while back. my laptop with the original pics has been dead for a long time, but i will check another site they may be hosted on, no promises...

(i have to come here and check the pics to see what my miles/km were when i did this so i know how many real miles are on my hatch!)

gtoman_05

Yah Its Orange
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I wana do this to my car cuz i dont have a RPM Gauge on my Tach... can u get pics up though

JasonxEHS

5+ Year Member
amazing write up. you helped me almost steal a 99-00 Si guage cluster from a rice ass Si but as soon as i had it pulled out i realized it was aftermarket. it looked like an EP3 style cluster but it wasnt. lol and it helped me find something to do in auto mechanics while everyone else worked on a damn four wheeler.

pop

5+ Year Member
amazing write up. you helped me almost steal a 99-00 Si guage cluster from a rice ass Si but as soon as i had it pulled out i realized it was aftermarket. it looked like an EP3 style cluster but it wasnt. lol and it helped me find something to do in auto mechanics while everyone else worked on a damn four wheeler.

jdmem205

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Bringing this back from the dead but I need to see pics to switch odometers thanks