NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Timing Belt - D16Y5, D16Y7, D16Y8

Okay, this was taken directly out of the Honda Civic ('96-'00) & CR-V ('97-'00) / Acura Integra ('94-'00) Haynes Repair Manual. This info is from Chapter 2 Part A - Single overhead cam (SOHC) engines. I am not to be held accountable for any problems or mistakes which might occur.

Timing Belt and Sprokers - Removal, Inspection and Installation

Removal
Refer to illustrations 10.11, 10.13, 10.17, an 10.18

1 Disconnect the cable from the negative terminal of the battery. Caution: If the radio in your vehicle is equipped with an anti-theft system, make sure you have the correct activation code before disconnecting the battery.

2 Place blocks behind the rear wheels and set the parking brake.

3 Loosen the lug nuts on the left front wheel and raise the front of the vehicle. Support the front of teh vehicle on jackstands (see Chapter 1).

4 Remove the left front wheel and remove the splash sheild from under the engine.

5 Support the engine with a floor jac. Place a wood block between the jac pad and oil pan to avoid damaging the pan.

6 Remove the upper left engine mount bracket (see Section 18 ).

7 Remove the spark plugs and the engine drivebelts (see Chapter 1).

8 Unbolt the power steering pump qithout disconnecting the hoses and set it aside (see Chapter 10).

9 Remove the engine oil dipstick.

10 Position the number one piston at Top Dead Center (see Section 3). Caution: Always rotate the crankshaft counerclockwise (viewed from the pulley end of the engine). Clockwise rotation may cause incorrect adjustment of the timing belt.

11 Remove the upper timing belt cover (see illustration).

12 Remove the drivebelt idler pulley and bracket from the front of the engine.

13 Using a strap wrench or chain wrench to hold the crankshaft pulley bolt with a socket and breaker (see illustration).

14 Slip the pulley off the cranshaft.

15 Remove the dipstick tube from the front of the engine.

16 Remove the lower timing belt cover.

17 If you intend to reuse the timing belt, use white paint of chalk to make match marks to align the sprockets with the belt and an arrow to indicate the direction of rotation (see illustration).

18 Loosen the timing belt tensioner bolt (see illustration). Push on the tensioner to release the tension on the belt, then retighten the bolt. Remove the crankshaft fluctuation sensor and slip the belt off. If you're replacing the crankshaft oil seal, slip the sprocket and inner belt guide off the crankshaft (see Section 11).

19 If you're replacing the camshaft or camshaft oil sel, slip a large screwdriver through the camshaft sprocket to keep it from rotating and remove the bolt, then pull off the sprocket. Also remove the Woodruff key.

Inspection
Refer to illustrations 10.20 and 10.21

20 Rotate the belt tensioner pulley by hand and move it from side-to-side, checking for play and rough rotation (see illustration). Replace it if roughness or play is detected.

21 Check the timing belt for wear (especially on the thrust side of the teeth), cracks, splits, fraying and oil contamination (see illustration). Replace the belt if any of these conditions are noted. Note: Unless the engine has very low milage, it's common practice to replace the timing belt with a new one every time it's removed. Don't reinstall the origiunal belt unless it's in like-new condition. Never reinstall a belt in questionable condition.

Installation
Refer to illustrations 10.23, 10.24 and 10.25

22 If you removed the sprockets, reinstall them. Don't forget the Woodruff key for the camshaft sprocket and the inner belt guide for the crankshaft sprocket. Tighten the camshaft sprocket bolt tothe torque listed in this Chapter specifications.

23 Before installing the timing belt, make sure the dot ot "UP" mark on the camshaft sprocket is at the top and the two index marks are in line with the cylinder head and face (see illustration).

24 Temporarily reinstall the crankshaft pulley and bolt and turn the crankshaft (if it was disturbed) until the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket and the pointer on the oil pump are aligned (see illustration).

25 Install the timing belt tightly around the crankshaft sprocket, then around the tensioner pulley, water pump pulley and camshaft sprocketin sequence (see illustration).

26 Loosen the belt tensioner bolt, allowing the tensioner to tension the belt, then temporarily tighten the bolt.

27 Carefully turn the crankshaft counterclockwise six revolutions and recheck the timing marks and camshaft sprocket index mark for poor alignment. If the crankshaft binds or seems to hit something, do not force it, as the valves may be hitting the pistons. If this happens, valve timing is incorrect. Remove the belt and repeat the installation procedure and verify that the installation is correct.

28 To properly tension the timing belt, loosen the tensioner bolt 1/2 turn (180-degrees), rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise until the camshaft pulley is three teeth past TDC and tighten the tensioner bolt to the torque listed in this Chapter's specifications.

29 Reinstall the remaining parts in the reverse order of removal.

30 Refer to Chapter 1 and adjust the drivebelts.

31 Run the engine and check for proper operation.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Here are the specifications listed for that chapter.

General
Firing order...................................................1-3-2-4
Cylinder numbers (front to rear).......................1-2-3-4
Bore.............................................................2.95 inches
Stroke..........................................................3.54 inches
Displacement................................................97.0 cubic inches (1.6liters)

Camshaft
Endplay
.....Standard...................................................0.002 to 0.006 inch
.....Maximum..................................................0.020 inch
Lobe height
.....D16Y5
..........Intake
...............Primary..........................................1.5129 inches
...............Secondary......................................1.2674 inches
..........Exhaust..............................................1.5269 inches
.....D16Y7
..........Intake.................................................1.3897 inches
..........Exhaust..............................................1.4678 inches
.....D16Y8
..........Intake
...............Primary..........................................1.4479 inches
...............Secondary......................................1.5068 inches
..........Exhaust..............................................1.4964 inches
Runout
.....Standard..................................................0.001 inch
.....Service limit.............................................0.002 inch maximum
Journal oil clearance
.....Standard..................................................0.002 to 0.004 inch
.....Service limit..............................................0.006 inch maximum

Oil pump
Rotor-to cover clearance
.....Standard..................................................0.001 to 0.003 inch
.....Service limit..............................................0.006 inch maximum
Tooth tip clearance
.....Standard..................................................0.001 to 0.006 inch
.....Service limit..............................................0.008 inch maximum
Outer rotor-to-pump body clearance
.....Standard..................................................0.004 to 0.007 inch
.....Service limit..............................................0.008 inch maximum

Torque specifications
Camshaft bearing cap bolts
.....6 mm bolts.................................................104 in-lbs
.....8 mm bolts.................................................14
Camshaft sprocket bolt.....................................27
Cransshaft fluctuation sensor mouonting bolt......104 in-lbs
Crankshaft pulley bolt.......................................130
Cylinder head bolts
.....Step 1........................................................14
.....Step 2........................................................36
.....Step 3........................................................49
.....Step 4........................................................49
Driveplate-to-crankshaft bolts.............................54
Intake manifold nuts..........................................17
Exhaust manifold-to-cylinder head nuts...............23
Exhaust pipe-to-manifold nuts
.....D16Y5, D16Y7.............................................25
.....D16Y8.........................................................40
Exhaust manifold upper heat shield bolts.............17
Exhaust manifold lower heat shield bolts
.....D16Y5, D16Y7..............................................96 in-lbs
Flywheel-to-crankshaft bolts................................87
Oxygen sensor...................................................33
Oil pressure switch.............................................156 in-lbs
Oil pan drain plug
.....D16Y5, D16Y8...............................................29
.....D16Y7...........................................................33
Oil pan-to-engine bolts.........................................104 in-lbs
Oil pump pick-up tube to pump housing buts..........96 in-lbs
oil pump pick-up screen-to-main bearing cap..........96 in-lbs
Oil pump housing-to-block bolts............................96 in-lbs
Oil pump cover-to-housing....................................60 in-lbs
Rear main oil seal housing bolts...........................96 in-lbs
Timing belt cover bolts.........................................86 in-lbs
Timing belt tensioner bolt.....................................33
Valve cover botls.................................................86 in-lbs
VTEC lock-up solenoid bolts................................104 in-lbs
Water pump bolts...............................................104 in-lbs

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
damn thats complicated.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
That's why I'm having one of the guys at Honda do it for me. :D

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
damn, that seems like a royal pain in the ass :(

Jas0n

What's up dogz!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
anfrey said:
damn, that seems like a royal pain in the ass :(
yes!!!!!!!!!!

Bobo_686

Shiny things amuse me
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh god, it is...trust me, heh, had to do one on a 94 accord...my god, it took many many hours and and many many drinks 2 find out how 2 do it, lol

9civic7

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
t-belts aren't that hard on SOHC Hondas i am going to do mine in a couple months

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Now with pics!

importlegions

1 god, 1 life,1 choice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well, im goining to do this today hopefully, thanks for the help

Zak8022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sohc engines are easy. i did mine last year. the hardest part was breaking the crank bolt loose. oddly enough air tools wouldnt do it.. but a big ass 3 ft breaker bar would. hehe.. that took all of 3 seconds to break it loose. just take your time, its fairly straight forward. if you do things right, and dont move s**t once you take the old TB off, you shouldnt have to worry about timing. i think it took me and a friend about half a day once we were able to get the crank bolt off.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mike's air tools took mine off. Mostly what he uses it seems. I remember lots of noise..... lol

Zak8022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
heh.. yea. well the air tools we were using were not professional quality. the tank and compressor were sufficient, but the actual gun wasnt rated that high. im sure higher grade air tools, sich as what i would imagine mike would have (or have access to) would definately do the trick.

Mr. Lin

Admiral Ackbar
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Gargh... mine better not do anything stupid any time soon...

importlegions

1 god, 1 life,1 choice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
man wtf the f**king crankshaft pulley wont come the f**k off no matter wat we do

Zak8022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
importlegions, is it the pulley itself of the crank bolt you are having problems with? the pulley should just slide right off the crank once the crank bolt is off.

importlegions

1 god, 1 life,1 choice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its the bolt, i cant brake it loose since the pully moves. ive tried putting the brake on/putting metal screw driver or large thick piece of metal through the holes but still no luck.:(

Zak8022

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
which holes did you try putting that screwdrive, etc thru? here's what i did.. i just took off my flywheel dustcover and shoved a ball joint separator (can also use gigantic screwdriver, the separator was just around) and wedged that against the flywheel and the bell housing. now, i cant say thats the best idea in the world... but the flywheel is pretty strong.

thast just what worked for me. give it a shot it you're really in a bind. PM or IM me (zak8022 on AIM) if you want to talk more. i can try to help you out as much as i can.

Status
Not open for further replies.