How To: Tinting Tail Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How to tint your tail lights...(56k warning..over 1MB of pics)

I've received a few PMs on my taillights so I figured I'd throw up a simple DIY
See my sig and pics at the bottom to see what mine came out like, if you want more pics PM me

Its very easy....
1) remove tail lights

2) clean them somehow (i used rubbing alcohol then dried it off)

3)then use masking tape and scrap paper to block off the top part of the tail lights...take your time on this becuase you want the tape right on that split between red and amber. (or red and white for you 99-00 folks)

4) I applied 3 coats total of Nightshades tail light tint
---I found it at a store by me called Driving Style in my mall, but check your local pep boys or autozone, they should have it. There are other products as well, you dont have to use Nightshades
----do one coat at a time, it says on the bottle how long to wait inbetween coats. i think i waited 45 mins or so
----Dont do 3 coats right away!! make sure you want your tails dark if you do three coats!! Try less first so you dont overdo it.

5) let them dry over night to be sure they are totally dry (reccomended)

6) Also do it inside (preferrably a garage) so you dont get dust and s**t on them, but make sure its semi ventilated

Other info you might want to know:
I DIDNT use clear coat and have had NO problems yet (going on 11 months now) and I live in New England with snow/road salt/sand etc. Some people do clear coat, its up to you.

My blinkers show thru just fine, the backup lights are a little dimmer (havent had to try inspection yet, so not sure on the legallity issue) but 96-98 tails are cheap if you need to buy some for inspection (or just borrow some).

Hope that helps. Good luck!! 8)

-Chris
(we-todd-did-racing is a little slow lately so be patient and wait for the pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.