Status
Not open for further replies.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HOW TO: Transaxle Removeal & Install

To skip my HOW TO, refer to pages 13-48 through 13-51 in your 96-00 Honda Civic Service Manual.

Ok guys & gals. I told you I would make one and here it is.

This is how you remove and in reverse order install a S4C Transaxle. (2000 Honda Civic Si).

Note: There may be some small variations in difference from your vehicle and mine.

First off you will need to jack your car up and place it on jack stands and remove the wheels Also disconnect the Negative Battery Terminal. Its a must whenever working around the engine to avoid shock.

Now remove your strut bar if you have one and begin removing your intake system. Make sure to remove the air bypass hose and IAT sensor.

While you are up here disconnect all connectors and wiring clips that are connected to the transaxle.
IE: Back Up light Switch Connector, Lower Radiator Hose Clamp, Transaxle Ground wire, etc.

Also you will need to unbolt the clutch line bracket, its 2 10mm bolts. You can also go ahead and unbolt the Slave Cylinder. Be careful pulling it back as to not damage the piston. NOTE: DO NOT PRESS THE CLUTCH PEDAL AFTER YOU REMOVE SLAVE CYLINDER, IT WILL EJECT THE PISTON!

Now remove the top transmission mounting bolts along with the starter motor mounting bolts. There are 3x Top mounting bolts and 2x starter bolts.

Now lets get on the ground. Personally I don’t like hard pavement so I used some matting material that I saved from when they replaced the carpet in my living room.

Anyways get down there and remove the splash guard. It be (4x) plastic bolt clips and (3x) bolts.
Also it says to remove your header and O2 sensor. I did not remove the header but I did remove the O2 sensor. Its just to make it easier to work around the Rear engine mount when we get to that step.

Now suspension components will be removed so we can get to pulling out the CV joints step. So remove the bolts and nuts holding in the Damper forks on both sides.

Remove the Tie Rod end. You are going to need a special tool to separate the ball joints from the spindle and lower control arm this way you can have freedom of movement with the spindle. Do this to both sides also.

Intermediate shaft bracket is up next. There are (3x) bolts that you need to remove to unbolt the bracket. Then simply pull the intermediate shaft out zip tie it up to lower mount. This will get it out of the way when you are ready to lower the transaxle.

Now you can do 1 of 2 things for the passenger side CV Joint. You can go thought the differential with a Punch, Screwdriver, whatever you want to use and knock off the Set Pin to remove the Passenger Side CV joint

OR

You can do like I did and just remove the aluminum straps on the CV Joint Boot and simply pull the CV joint out. Though be careful when you pull it out because you need to remove and bag up the (3x) bearings so they don’t get debris on them or even damaged from being dropped. Then you can zip tie the cv axle up like the other one. Make sure you bag it up too.

Shift Linkage needs to be disconnected. Try to keep it in neutral as you remove it. First you will need to pull back the Boot, remove the Clip then use a 8mm Punch & Hammer to knock out the Spring Clip. If you only have your car sitting on jack stands and only have about 1-2' of space to work with then it may take you a few minutes to get the Spring Clip out. Then pull back on the Change Rod (trying not to shift gears) to reomve it, Then unbolt the Change Extension.

Front & Rear Engine Stiffeners are next on the list to unbolt and remove. (2x) bolts for each and set aside. Also remove the Clutch Cover while you are there, (4x) bolts. I didn’t take a picture of the Clutch Cover being removed so I took a picture out of the manual.

Now comes removing the Engine & Transaxle Mounts/Brackets. First off Unbolt the Right Front Transaxle Bracket. Don’t worry about unbolting it from the Mount as you will just waste time. We are going to remove it all as 1 piece. Now remove the (2x) bolts securing the Transaxle Mount and remove both pieces as 1.

If you have a AEM V2 CAI it will look like this. Otherwise it will look like the 3rd picture (OEM).

Ok hopefully by this time you have the transaxle supported in some fashion. Because now you are removing the Top Transaxle Mount Bracket. The manual says to remove the mount & bracket but there is no reason to remove the mount. So just unbolt the bracket from the mount and transaxle and set aside. You will need a 17mm Deep Well socket and exstension to remove (2x) nuts.

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Almost finished. Unbolt the Rear Mount Bracket and remaining Transaxle mounting bolts. Below is the bracket from the matting surface side, side that mounts to the transaxle. So you will be removing the bolts from the opposite side :D . 2nd picture is the side you will be looking at when unbolting the Rear Engine Mount Bracket.

After that is finished you can pull the Transaxle back to clear the Main Shaft and lower your Transaxle. BTW you may want to use something ti support the tranny before you take out the remaining bolts. I used a 1" strap and secured it around the Strut Bar. Then removed it when i was ready to man handle lower the tranny.

To reinstall the Transaxle just simply follow the HOW TO in reverse.

If you were like me you just man handled that b***h without a jack because my only jack was supporting the engine.

To save yourself a lot of headache I suggest that you bag and label ever single bolt if you plan reusing them.

Also if you may want to look around your engine bay for irregularities. As I found this badle damaged Lower Mount. Just my luck.

Also when I was talking about the extension to use you can try this bad boy on for size. It would have been about 5' longer but I dont have any reducer sockets :(

I will also be doing a HOW TO on how to repair what ever is broken inside my tranny. So stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.