How To: Type R Style Front Lip Installation

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Type R "style" Front Lip Install

Take your bumper completly off in order to do this. I used clamps and some towls to temp. hold the middle of the lip to the bumper while I drilled pilot holes through ends of the lip and the bumper in the wheel well.

To keep the middle part of the lip from sticking up, I used a 4" long by 3/4" thick by 1" deep piece of scrap wood that was just laying on the floor next to my workbench, (you might have to be creative if you can't find this).

Wedge the scrap piece of wood in-between the bottom of the bumper and the gap of the lip (underside/backside)(you can't see it from the front of the car so looks aren't important). I used a glue gun to secure the piece of wood into the slot...you could also use epoxy or superglue (not elmers or wood glue).

Voila

The piece of wood acts as a wedge...pressing the bottom of the lip down therefore keeping it tight against the top rim of the bumper opening.

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That's awesome. Thank you for the PM.

WiggerMan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so basically its just those 2 total of 4 screws holding the lip on?

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by WiggerMan
so basically its just those 2 total of 4 screws holding the lip on?
That's correct...and I've hit a few snow bugers also...she hasn't budged.

Originally posted by 96greencivic
That's awesome. Thank you for the PM.
No problemo.

WiggerMan

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats pimp... thought u would need some bolts or epoxy in the middle to make it sit right

96greencivic

#1 in the Atlantic!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Anyone have pics/ instructions for the CTR rear lip???

DirtyD

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
is this the same for a Mugen lip?

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mugen Lip?

Originally posted by dirtyd16
is this the same for a Mugen lip?
I'm not sure...I've never been able to examine one up-close/in-person...I'm sure the concept would be similar. At-least I know that the top of the lip wraps up and over the opening in the bumper. I'd ask riceboy if he knows...his buddy has a mugen lip on his red civic.

Sound Streamin'

Boost or Die
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The whole wood thing just seems to cheap to me. If it's a quality lip you shouldn't have to do that.

dipset891

whats really good?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good how to i gonna be getting a lip kit soon im wondering if the how to work for diff brand lips or just this one

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thatboyandyfosh said:
my cuz he use tape some red tape at homedepo thats the way to do it than the dam wood thingy.
Oh, I'm sorry...I must be stupid...there's no right or wrong way to do it...as long as you get it to fit right.

cole

holding monster
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wouldent it be nice to take some bondo or whatever and mold the bumper to the pip make it look like one i guess youd have to sand a little but then when you come back to paint it even if you get the color code from honda does the paint look the same and how did you paint yours?

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
front lipage

cole said:
wouldent it be nice to take some bondo or whatever and mold the bumper to the lip make it look like one i guess youd have to sand a little but then when you come back to paint it even if you get the color code from honda does the paint look the same and how did you paint yours?
Yes it can be done...I've seen some lips molded into the bumper. Taking it to a good body shop would be the best bet, unless your good at that stuff. They'll get it blended/molded in real good and the paint should match. You get what you pay for.

gabebauman

Sk8aholic
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
RiceburnerRyan said:
yeah howd you get the lip to match the car... that looks hella nice mang...
What do you mean by this question...the paint?