HX rims on Lowered EKs

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd like to request pictures of any '96-'00 Civics lowered on HX rims. I'd appreciate your tire sizes and suspension products used. I'm deciding what size tires to use when I switch to HX rims on my lowered '97 Civic HX with Tein S-tech springs & Koni struts. So far I'm leaning towards using 185/60-14s. The OEM recommended size for HX rims is 185/65/14 but it looks too beefy to me. I figure the 60 sidewall profile is slight enough to look more appealing but only slightly reduce overall tire diameter. I've read that many prefer 195/60-14s but I dont want the sidewall hangover it produces. All constructive suggestions are appreciated.

The only user I came across with HXs on a lowered Civic is 2000JdmCivic.
Function and Form Type 1's... 1inch or 1.5inch drop

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here's mine about 4 months lowered on coil springs:roll:... Wheels are no longer in car since i sold it, planning to paint them white in the next few weeks...

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You're talking about a pretty minimal difference in sidewall height between all 3 sizes. The 185/65 is only about 10mm taller than the 185/60. The 195/60 falls in the middle and gives you a little bit wider or a tire. If it was me, that's what I would go after.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here's mine about 4 months lowered on coil springs:roll:... Wheels are no longer in car since i sold it, planning to paint them white in the next few weeks...

Any side pictures? Also, what tire size did you use?

You're talking about a pretty minimal difference in sidewall height between all 3 sizes. The 185/65 is only about 10mm taller than the 185/60. The 195/60 falls in the middle and gives you a little bit wider or a tire. If it was me, that's what I would go after.
I hadnt really realized the size difference since I havent yet calculated them. Thanks for the input.

Robin...

D-Series Soldier
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I dont remember tire size and cant find any side pictures...

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
EK? I don't see any RHD Civics :roll:
I stated EK not EK9 which is the direct designation for Right-Hand Drive Civics :idea:. For those who care to contribute comments of value or may be unaware, EK is the general referenced abbreviation for all 1996-2000 Civics. I also updated the original post to state "'96-'00" in place of "EK" to reduce further unhelpful comments.;)

rustycivic2000

Registered VIP
I know.....its just one of my pet peeves, when people refer to their car by the wrong chassis code.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know.....its just one of my pet peeves, when people refer to their car by the wrong chassis code.
Oh, ok. I thought you were just being a jerk like others do. Believe me I share your peeve but for the sake of a short subject line I chose to use EK in place of '96-'00.

Switching back to the subject as hand... pictures please!

CO671

Registered VIP
I stated EK not EK9 which is the direct designation for Right-Hand Drive Civics :idea:. For those who care to contribute comments of value or may be unaware, EK is the general referenced abbreviation for all 1996-2000 Civics. I also updated the original post to state "'96-'00" in place of "EK" to reduce further unhelpful comments.;)
Not only that, there's EK4's, EK3's etc; :P but good point! People need to stop being so butthurt about the specificity.

Goodi

RedEJ7
I'm running the 185/65/R14 on my Hx's. The sidewall is pretty beefy on em. Would gladly post pictures but I have no idea how.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's one thing when people refer to their own car specifically by the wrong chassis code but he was just looking for general photos.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This is looong overdue, but I might as well update this thread that I honestly forgot about. Here are my HX wheels I bought & had powder coated. I have Koni Str.t struts &
Tein S-tech springs with 175/70r14 tires.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Since I've revived this thread, perhaps some recent members can add their pics for reference. It definitely wont hurt.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'm sure you have seen these before. 96 hx function and form type 2 as low as they go without adjusting preload (pretty sure 4 inch drop) I always ran 185/60/14 with no issues, I even ran 185/65/14 studded tires in the winter and they only rubbed going into steep driveways at angles