HX wheels?

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I have HX wheels on my white 98 EX and i would like them in a bronze or gold, but i cant decide if i should have them powdercoated or just take a weekend and paint them myself...is painting durable if you use like 4-5 coats of clear? or will it still chip and fade and such

j_fukin_t

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
HondaSpeedaX said:
I have HX wheels on my white 98 EX and i would like them in a bronze or gold, but i cant decide if i should have them powdercoated or just take a weekend and paint them myself...is painting durable if you use like 4-5 coats of clear? or will it still chip and fade and such
i wouldnt' paint them, i'd have them powdercoated for sho ;)

ryanM

im painting mine, i just bought duplicolor wheel coating in bronze, and some wheel coating clear coat. now i just have to wait for my friend to buy a new blasting cabinet so we can get them sand blasted. just paint em, its cheaper, and if its done right and with the right paint it will be very durable

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
all i need to do is sand em down, primer them, paint and then a lot of clear right? where did you get ur paint from?

ryanM

HondaSpeedaX said:
all i need to do is sand em down, primer them, paint and then a lot of clear right? where did you get ur paint from?
yep, just do that and you should be good. i bought my paint at autozone (they dont check id's there like walmart and other places do lol) i bought 4 cans of paint and 2 cans of clear coat.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
first off...check id for paint? wtf? secondly, did you get primer? or are you skippin that step?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
make sure to get something to get all of the grease and oils off that sanding will miss or just spread around. that will be your best bet to make them not bubble and s**t.
i have painted lots of wheels, and if done right, or wrong, it is very durable.
chris

ryanM

HondaSpeedaX said:
first off...check id for paint? wtf? secondly, did you get primer? or are you skippin that step?
around here you have to be 18 to buy anything in an aerosol can, they think your going to huff or some stupid s**t. and i havent really decided if i am going to prime them or not. after blasting them, the surface should be just fine for the wheel paint, but if i do decide to prime them, i already have some primer layin around

Partizan

im gay n proud luv my car
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This is kinda off topic, but do HX rims fit on an EX coupe? I always thought it wouldn't clear the brakes...

ryanM

Partizan said:
This is kinda off topic, but do HX rims fit on an EX coupe? I always thought it wouldn't clear the brakes...
yes, they fit. you can even get VX rims, which are the same rims, only in 13" and they will fit.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
so if i sand them down i wont need to primer them? or is that only if i sandblast them?

ryanM

HondaSpeedaX said:
so if i sand them down i wont need to primer them? or is that only if i sandblast them?
im not sure, if your worried about it. i would just prime them. it cant hurt, and primer is cheap like >1$ a can

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
hmm so when i do em...how long should they stay off the car? cuz i dont have jack stands so i cant take all 4 off at the same time...

also what color will look better you think? bronze or gold? its on a white car remember

ryanM

HondaSpeedaX said:
hmm so when i do em...how long should they stay off the car? cuz i dont have jack stands so i cant take all 4 off at the same time...
do you have some stealies or something you can run while you do this? cuz you should probably leave them off overnight at least.

edit, your also probably going to want to take the tires oft to paint them, so you can get the whole rim.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
i have the spare and i have one extra fullsize HX that i think ill do first to see how it turns out...why cant i just tape/paper off the tire? isnt taking the tire off a b***h?

ryanM

HondaSpeedaX said:
i have the spare and i have one extra fullsize HX that i think ill do first to see how it turns out...why cant i just tape/paper off the tire? isnt taking the tire off a b***h?
not if you have a shop do it ;)

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there is no way vx rims are gonna fit an ex anything .... we tried to put em on my friends 95 civ coupe .... if the car comes stock with 14" steelies its a good bet 13s arent gonna fit.

On another note .... ive heard people with integras shimming the brakes or putting spacers or other crazy s**t to get hx rims on their cars ... im supised cause my car came with 14" steeles ... maybe the hx has more beef on the inside or somethin

ryanM

Melt said:
there is no way vx rims are gonna fit an ex anything .... we tried to put em on my friends 95 civ coupe .... if the car comes stock with 14" steelies its a good bet 13s arent gonna fit.

On another note .... ive heard people with integras shimming the brakes or putting spacers or other crazy s**t to get hx rims on their cars ... im supised cause my car came with 14" steeles ... maybe the hx has more beef on the inside or somethin
ive seen plenty of 6th gens rocking 13" vx's. now im not sure any of them were ex's but i thought they all had the same size brakes