I can't believe how few green ej8s there are (prepare for pics)

Ice Cream Kid

I've been planning this thread for a while, but I procrastinate :P
Right, so allow me to rant. I'm gonna start this about two years ago or somewhere thereabouts.
Once upon a time I got really close to buying a 1991 Ford Bronco. It was pretty cool. It had like 62000 miles and the red velvet interior. Looking back I'm glad I didn't buy it because gas mileage.

Flash forward to last summer, I actually DID buy a 2003 Ford Focus ZX5.

$300 and it lasted MAYBE a week. Third day I was licensed it just outright quit on me. Not wanting to even bother with it anymore, I sold it to a friend for $300 cash and bought a 2000 civic ex coupe from the dealership my mom works at within the hour. I paid $700 in total for it, including the ~$200 licensing and whatnot. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

Sitting at the dealer

This is after I got her home with some 277000 miles

Previous owner hit....something?

Whatever it was the bumper is all misaligned :I

It didn't take me long to find out that whenever I park anywhere, Hondas sorta....flock. Also it looks really weird seeing the taillights all red.

It also didn't take long for me to get that dent outta my bumper and move my plate to cover it up :P

Before long my taillights found a can of nite shades in my brother's garage

And I found the internet

Again with the Honda thing....

My friend bought me a $7 exhaust tip from walmart because he thought mine was too stupidly small (this actually ended up on his subaru outback, but more on that later)

And uh....this happened ._.
Honestly, me and my friend bought this with the intention of it lasting maybe a week or two. It's been there since like september lol

This was the product of about $150 and walmart

4th gen 6th gen 8th gen :D

With a friend

I dunno man, they just show up wherever I go

Around January or so I hit a snowbank when it was like -40 degrees out and cracked my bumper :I

This is an opportune time to say that I bought some foglights on ebay some months beforehand

And honestly I think my neighbor hit my car but he won't admit it :I

I got reeeeeaaalllyyy close to buying this thing

Yay 5555 :D (daft punk fans will get it)

WINTER MODE

I would be able to put more money into this if I didn't get sidetracked making stuff like this

My doors froze shut after this :I

Hooray for $40 "performance" parts

Yay stickers

Aaaaannnddd winter. Still.

Stickers on :D

Funny story behind that last one. I have an autos class at my high school, and class was just about over so I figured I'd slap the few stickers I had left on. So I was partway into putting my "+10hp" sticker, and a kid walks up behind me. Mind you, living in Minnesota, everyone drives trucks and believes no replacement for displacement, so I get made fun of...a lot. So a guy walks up and says "how much horsepower does THAT sticker add?" So I pull off the little covery bit and say "Ten!" Shut him right up :P

THE SNOW MELTED!!!

Aaaannndddd it's back

And eight hours later it's....gone?

Man my car is dirty

Ice Cream Kid

Part two!! :D

Prepping for cars and coffee with a friend, getting dressed up

Selfie!

This is unnecessary

Yay new stuff :D

RSX seats are pretty sweet

It took some custom fabricating but I did get them to fit

FINALLY it got nice out

As far as I know this is the only real rust spot my car has

MAN I put a lot of miles on

As awesome as the RSX-S seats were, they were big, they were heavy, they didn't really sit right, one had a tear in it...plus I got '99 SI seats and $60 cash for them :D

I drive through country roads late at night most nights and deer happen soooo

I'm surrounded by giants!

I'll be honest, I just really like the way the SI wing looks, I don't care if it doesn't do anything. Plus I've not yet seen one on a green civic.

Some painting later...

The SI seats....while they do have speed holes, they're still civic seats. So '97 prelude seats it is :D

It took some seat rail swapping but I got it in the end

They're the best of all the seats I've had, they're comfortable, they sit low, they're leather, they're relatively supportive....great :D

My friend didn't believe I could clear curbs....proved him wrong

Picture with a friend :D

I don't know why, but every time a truck parks next to me they do....this

My car is finally clean!

First ricekiller monday meet at our new location :D

The civic looks so lonely....

Now for a story. I've been trying to get rid of the EM1 seats for some time now, I keep getting offers but nobody's come for them yet. Yesterday I got a guy offering to take them if I'd drive out to drop them off. He said he'd make it "worth my while" which made me sound like I was going to a strip club but whatever. Loaded them into the outback and drove out about 60 miles. Came home with this :D

B20 block, B18 head, some other good stuff thrown in. Need to source rods and pistons and a transmission (probably gonna go with a b18) and some other stuff, but it's looking like I'll be able to retire my tired old d16y8. Now to find somebody who wants a d16y8 manual transmission....don't know if it's worth swapping it now that I've got this

The problem I'm having here is that a few weeks ago this happened

My brakes quit outright, broke a line and screwed up the proportioning valve as well. Had to get it towed to a dealer and after I spent all of my like $200 in savings, I'm still like $400 in debt to my parents :(
Well I'll get more stuff....eventually I guess

Anyway, there's my car from August until now. Thanks for reading my long thread, looking forward to more stuff :P

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Congrats on the find, looks clean. Not a huge fan of halo headlights, but to each their own.

The wing is mostly a coupe option, they're not bad looking on the car. I have a ton of green coupes around me and about half of them have that wing, it's a nice touch but I feel if you're going low, it makes the car look like it's sitting higher.

If your brakes are all jacked up, now would be a good time to get a larger prop valve and do a rear disc swap. If you're doing a B series, why not have a little extra stopping power? Get some nice pads and rotors and refresh the whole system.

s**t, if you're only in debt a few hundred bucks and it's to your parents, consider yourself lucky man! Enjoy it while it lasts! :lol:

Sounds and looks like you're having a blast. Keep it up and keep us posted!

Ice Cream Kid

:D thanks man, yeah I dunno a few hundred bucks seems a lot more when you're 17 and making minimum wage :/

I'd love to do a disc swap, really I would, but this is my daily and I drive....a lot. It has 291something as opposed to 277 when I bought it less than a year ago :P couldn't not have a car for more than two days

Ice Cream Kid

Oh, I guess I was mistaken. I've not got a b20 at all, this is actually a b18b. Still awesome considering I traded seats which, after considering all expenses, I paid like $20 for for most of an integra engine. Still mad excited for this, and decoding the vin makes it easier to find stuff :D

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it looks like a b18a1 based off of the valve cover. An integra engine that's much older than the engine that's already in your car.

Seems like you have a decent car but if I were you, i'd just slow down on the silly mods and save up and make some worthwhile choices. A tight budget just means that you need more patience

Ice Cream Kid

CHILD I checked the vin that's on there and it came up as a '99 integra 2 door 5speed ls, and I'm pretty sure that makes it a b18b1 >.>

As far as silly mods though, most of them serve a purpose. Fog lights and HIDs because I really don't want to hit a deer, tinted sunroof 'cause it's bright out man, admittedly the intake and the stickers are pretty dumb, but they were cheap, and my car sounded like a broken vacuum cleaner before the exhaust :P the deck, speakers ,and subs in total might have cost $200.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
The valve cover is from an 90-early 94 integra. Pretty sure that is a B18a1 intake manifold too.

Check the block stamp on the head

the engine code is stamped on the block itself, don't need the vin to check what engine it is.

All the vin does is tell you what year it is and what model integra it came out of (not that it matters if you already know what engine it is).

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
CHILD I checked the vin that's on there and it came up as a '99 integra 2 door 5speed ls, and I'm pretty sure that makes it a b18b1 >.>

As far as silly mods though, most of them serve a purpose. Fog lights and HIDs because I really don't want to hit a deer, tinted sunroof 'cause it's bright out man, admittedly the intake and the stickers are pretty dumb, but they were cheap, and my car sounded like a broken vacuum cleaner before the exhaust :P the deck, speakers ,and subs in total might have cost $200.
Lol if you run my vin it'll tell you I have a sohc vtec-e motor, but I don't. But whatever. Fog lights with HIDs... brighter lights don't cut through three fog better, that's like using your brights in the rain. You don't want to hit a deer but you're using halo headlights that have a worse light output compared to a stock headlight. The intake can be beneficial based off of how you drive. The sunroof, if it's soo bright out, close it. Ive never understood a "sun"roof with no sun coming through. If the exhaust was bad, I would have put another oem unit on or a complete exhaust system instead of just a piece to increase noise. Just my opinions. Good luck with this thing

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
I think he ran the vin/serial number off the block at the base of the dip stick. At least I think that is what it is, I've never even looked at one since I knew what my engines were anyway.

OGstackadolla

TEAM LIGHTSPEED RACING
Registered VIP
pet peeve, "I'm lowered" sticker. Wtf is the point in that? You're not even that low, my track car is lower than that, lol. Take all that JDM yo s**t off.

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
pet peeve, "I'm lowered" sticker. Wtf is the point in that?
or in any of the stickers. But, you look stupid young so I get it, it's just a phase and you'll eventually look back and think "why did i do that" :lol:

It has hope, but focus on school or work and save your money once you're done paying your parents back.

OGstackadolla

TEAM LIGHTSPEED RACING
Registered VIP
I'm glad I didn't have money to mod my car when I first bought it, I would have to buy a mask to wear when I drive it so nobody recognizes me

MiketheDyke

5+ Year Member
The take out clothes under acceleration thing is funny because stock civics are all slow lol

But clean civic man. Keep up the good work =)

Sended from my phone

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
or in any of the stickers. But, you look stupid young so I get it, it's just a phase and you'll eventually look back and think "why did i do that" :lol:

It has hope, but focus on school or work and save your money once you're done paying your parents back.
Pretty much how I did it. You'll like it for now and when you look around more and want bigger better things, you just kind of grow out of it. Hence why I said, you seem like you're having a blast, don't blow all your savings on stickers tho :cool:

Ice Cream Kid

Lol if you run my vin it'll tell you I have a sohc vtec-e motor, but I don't. But whatever. Fog lights with HIDs... brighter lights don't cut through three fog better, that's like using your brights in the rain. You don't want to hit a deer but you're using halo headlights that have a worse light output compared to a stock headlight. The intake can be beneficial based off of how you drive. The sunroof, if it's soo bright out, close it. Ive never understood a "sun"roof with no sun coming through. If the exhaust was bad, I would have put another oem unit on or a complete exhaust system instead of just a piece to increase noise. Just my opinions. Good luck with this thing
HID low beams, halogen highs. My old housings were pretty beat up and had two of the four mounty things each, in addition to one of the little retainy clippies missing altogether causing my headlight to go nuts and wobble about. Plus these were like $80 so it's not much of a loss. I drive through rural minnesota and it's dark. I just kinda like the way the OEM(ish) foglights look honestly. Sunroof I like tinted, it keeps the car relatively cool because the sun isn't blazing in but I can keep some airflow going. The exhaust was meant to last about a week until I did something with it but...well....eh, I'm lazy

pet peeve, "I'm lowered" sticker. Wtf is the point in that? You're not even that low, my track car is lower than that, lol. Take all that JDM yo s*** off.
Problem here is you're taking me seriously. It's not so much a "low" sticker as it is a "hard spring + railroad on a 55mph road" sticker

Pretty much how I did it. You'll like it for now and when you look around more and want bigger better things, you just kind of grow out of it. Hence why I said, you seem like you're having a blast, don't blow all your savings on stickers tho :cool:

Too late, savings all spent on brake repairs :roll:

Right, now that I've gotten that out of the way, has anyone here built a b18b? I'm just kinda curious as to what I should do with this thing. I've not got pistons or rods, but I do have a bad crank that's in there and another one in addition to it. I've been poking around on the internet and I'm thinking about p30 b16 pistons but I'm not entirely sure what I'll need. I know I need rods....from something, but I guess the stock b18b rods aren't great? Could use some advice, don't wanna make a ton of power, don't think I wanna do an ls/vtec or go turbo, they just cost too much and this is my daily so I don't need a ton of power. Just want something that'll make more than the maybe 110hp on a good day that I've got going on right now :P

All advice appreciated ;)

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I wouldn't build a B18b unless you plam on going turbo, which would be way out of your financial reach. Either rebuild & sell or just sell as parts to get somr money back for the brakes. Focus on one thing at a time

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^ Sell it, get a GSR or B16A or something you can enjoy in a mostly stock form and can build on little by little.

Ice Cream Kid

I dunno, I considered going with another engine but I figure I got most of a b18b essentially free, and the only important bits I need are engine internals (and that's what makes the power) and I don't want a ton of power so....I dunno