i need to switch engines... help...

x0supermonkey0x

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn.... i wanna switch my 5th gen civic VX engine with a 5th gen civic EX engine.... but i was wondering what would happen with the power steering.... because my VX doesnt have it and the EX does..... is it still gonna hook up properly?!?!..... argh so confused.... if im not here... AIM me at x0civicracer0x

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just put power steering in along with the engine, guy :thumbs up:

SickCiViC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
r u doing it yourself? cuz if u r asking those sort of questions, i'd certainly hope you're not.. for your car's sake. :wink:

get a professional to at least look at it and GUIDE u through. and i suggest getting a manual for your car that tells you how to remove/replace engines. i can tell u will definitely need some help doing a swap. i'm not saying i am good at it or anything.. i'd fukk up a soup sandwich. just giving u my :twocents:

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe all that you have to do is put the rack n pinion in with the pump. As far as doin the engine, i put the EX motor in my LX.... everything matched up. I had to run the VTEC wire to my ECU and also i had to switch my left mount and right mount.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
his car is a vx, it already has a vtec wire. should be a bolt in swap. but imo, if you can afford it, gettin a b16 or something would make you a lot happier in the long run. its no more difficult to swap that than a d16z6, but you get so much more power and upgrade ability.

slambed_civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its much more difficult that you think, im doin one right now in a 4th gen hatch, its not really all that fun. theres a lot of things that they dont tell you that needs to be done.... everyone always says, axles, mounts snift linkage tranny n ecu... what the neglect to tell you is that the steering knuckles sometimes have to be changed, an intermediate shaft needs to be found off of an integra, generally you need a TPS/ throttle body, down pipe, clutch kit, shift linkage, throttle cable, shift linkage bushings, radiator, hoses, belts, conversions arent cheap at all unless you stay with D series to D series n B to B.

handlebarsfsr, i didnt say anything about his car not being VTEC, i said that i had to run the wire since my car wasnt.

~vx~, if you dont feel like messing thw the PS just leave the pump and mounting bracket off of the EX motor... you dont really need it.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you do know that the engine bay in the 94-01 integra is the exact same layout as a 92-95 civic. the 4th gen civics are different from the 5th gen civics and the 2nd gen integras, thats why you are having trouble. if he purchases a complete swap from any one of the engine warehouses, or finds a junkyard gsr, he has a bolt in swap. the only thing he would need to wire in is a knock sensor wire. eg's are a lot simpler to swap than an ef.