IAC valve/CEL

Jreid10

Bought a 97 1.6l lx with b16y7. It had idle surging problem and I traced it to the iac valve. Bought a replacement iac and installed it. Idle surge is gone but now check engine light is on. The light wasn’t on with old iac and the surging problem. I changed throttle body gasket and cleaned everything thoroughly. It also has 2 codes stored now with the cel. P1359 and p1509. Any ideas?

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bought a 97 1.6l lx with b16y7
Let's get the motor right to avoid confusion, D16y7, which is a single cam.

The light wasn’t on with old iac and the surging problem. I changed throttle body gasket and cleaned everything thoroughly. It also has 2 codes stored now with the cel. P1359 and p1509. Any ideas?
First look up what codes they are:
P1359 Crankshaft Position (CKP)/Top Dead Center (TDC) Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P1509 Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) Circuit Failure

Now that you have those, you can tell it's an electrical failure of some sort.
Check all your wiring at these sensors, the sensors are shorted somewhere is my guess.

Jreid10

Let's get the motor right to avoid confusion, D16y7, which is a single cam.

First look up what codes they are:
P1359 Crankshaft Position (CKP)/Top Dead Center (TDC) Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P1509 Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) Circuit Failure

Now that you have those, you can tell it's an electrical failure of some sort.
Check all your wiring at these sensors, the sensors are shorted somewhere is my guess.

Yes sorry for the confusion it is a D16Y7. I’m really most concerned with trying to figure out why the cel light only came on after the replacement of the IAC .

Jailbird

Yes sorry for the confusion it is a D16Y7. I’m really most concerned with trying to figure out why the cel light only came on after the replacement of the IAC .
You might've slightly broken the pigtail connector when you relieved the previous valve of duty... Happens sometimes.