Ignition/steering locked and f**ked up...no key either

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Alright so I am trying to start working on my project crx and one of the first things I need to do on it is get the steering unlocked so I can actually move the b***h...Unfortunately...previous owner did the following. Apparently they lost the key and when I bought it...they did the best they could to make the steering wheel rotate again...now I'm left with this, plus the steering wheel has a good bit of play in it...

If anyone can help me on what I need to replace to get the car back like it should be (not cosmetic pieces just the mechanical pieces and s**t) and how I can go about unlocking the ignition so I can move the car with alot more ease, I would really appreciate it.

Backside of the ignition...

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
smack that with a hammer

Killa_CiViC

When Honda's Attack!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
get a new steering column with everyone on it, from a junk yard.... 90% of the time, they still have the keys that work with them.... it's a pretty easy item to swap out.

T!mmy

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Killa_CiViC said:
get a new steering column with everyone on it, from a junk yard.... 90% of the time, they still have the keys that work with them.... it's a pretty easy item to swap out.
this was actually something I was thinking about a few mins ago...

But from what year do I have to get it? Does it have to be a 88-91 crx? or can it be any 88-91? or do I even have to stay within the 88-91 range?

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I woulnd't think you exactly have to stick with the same year...

I had a third gen Integra column in my car for a short amoutn of time and it almost fit perfectly. A tiny bit too long, but enough to get to me.

My Integra column came with a 6th gen Civic ignition and key though. It all seemed to fit on just fine. Maybe either bring in pics or bring in your original part and look for one similar if they can't source one for you.

I know when we replaced the one on my column I wanted to retain use of the original key for my car (so everything, doors, etc woudl be the same key). So we removed the tumbler from the ignition. I know there should be a torx bit screw (T30) on the bottom of the ignition. Also, there is a tiny little dot on the ignition on top of the igintion. Put the key into the ignition tumbler and turn it to "I". Now you should be able to press that little dot on top of the ignition in. With the screw removed and that piece pushed in you should be able to remove the tumbler from the ignition.

Sorry it's a little vague, but this is what I remember from it. :???:

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hit the cylinder with a hammer, to brake it loose to turn the wheel, then go get bolts to fir it to tighten it back on, ive had to do that in both my hondas

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ok grab a hammer and a flat head screw driver. the two screws that hold it in there...they are big! they have no slots for a screwdriver..but they are soft metal. you make your own but use the screw driver as a chisel. back the screws out and it will fall right off. you may replace it with a new one or go to the junkyard and do the same thing i just told you...but this time..you can replace the lock cylinder at advance...they are like 30 bux. or go get it keyed.

orfus5

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get the vin from the title. go to honda, get a key made for like $7

shoemaker617

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Green 91 said:
smack that with a hammer
WHAT! dont do that!(Shame on you Green) You can take it off with out destroying. Just get a small pry bar and turn the bolts that hold it in with the pry bar. Snake shits way sounds good to, but mines is the best way.