I'm considering buying a 2008 Civic...

ash051

Hi everyone, I'm really new here so sorry if I post in the wrong spot or anything. I'm 19 and I'm going to be buying my first car soon, I learned to drive in an Accord, I was waiting for one to come along since I loved driving it, but instead I found a good deal on a Civic. It's a 2008 sedan LX, no reported accidents, one owner, and 72.7k miles. According to Carfax it seems to be well kept and current on maintenance. But I was doing some research and it seems like the 2008 has a lot of engine problems? Mainly with the engine needing to be replaced around 100k miles? I know people are more likely to complain about their bad experiences online, so, is this a frequent occurrence? Has anyone had this kind of problem with this year (or generation)? Like I said, I'm used to Accords, so I don't know much specifically about the Civic in terms of problems they may encounter.
Also, if you own this car and like it, would you mind telling me why? Have you all had any major problems with the car?
Thanks for any and all responses!

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
But I was doing some research and it seems like the 2008 has a lot of engine problems? Mainly with the engine needing to be replaced around 100k miles?
Where have you seen that info?
I've never seen or read about these types of issues within the 8th gen, which runs from 06-'11.

ash051

Where have you seen that info?
I've never seen or read about these types of issues within the 8th gen, which runs from 06-'11.
That is good to hear! I'm not allowed to post links since I'm new, but it's a site called car complaints. I stumbled across it by accident while doing my research about the car. Like I mentioned, I'm just trying to see if it's actually a common occurrence, or just disgruntled people complaining, as replacing an engine is something I do not want to have to do. (: