I'm new here....

jakabony

Hey everyone. I am new to this forum, but a long time Honda nut. My latest find is a 1994 Civic Si with only 40k on the clock! This beauty is bone stock. I am focusing on suspension, brakes and exhaust first (needs brakes and a muffler anyway).

I am looking for some feedback on suspension components that I have picked out and am needing recommendations on. I want to do a simple spring and strut setup and stay away from coil overs. Check it out!

Springs- Tein H Tech
Shocks- Koni Yellow Sports
Front Camber kit- ??
Rear Camber kit-??
Rear Toe kit- ??
Rear LCA- ??
Rear tie bar- ??
Front and rear strut bars- ??

Attachments

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
40k miles, bone stock?
Whoever had it before you painted the valve cover, missing the front lip, and looks to have replaced the door panels maybe, or it's the lighting in the pic?
The door panels should have a vertical white striping to them with a light gray cloth.

jakabony

40k miles, bone stock?
Whoever had it before you painted the valve cover, missing the front lip, and looks to have replaced the door panels maybe, or it's the lighting in the pic?
The door panels should have a vertical white striping to them with a light gray cloth.
Yes bone stock other than the valve cover. Crazy, huh? I didn't realize the front lip was missing, but I want to put a front lip on it anyway. It must be the lighting because the door panels are light gray with striping.

Thanks!

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Front Camber kit- ??
Rear Camber kit-??
Front and rear strut bars- ??
I wouldn't worry about a camber kit, set the toe correctly, you will be fine.
As has been documented over the years...
https://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/you-do-not-need-camber-kits.199650/

https://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=7543

If you want front and rear strut bars, get a solid bar, bars that do not have a pivot point in them, that creates a weak point which defeats the purpose of a strut bar.

jakabony

I wouldn't worry about a camber kit, set the toe correctly, you will be fine.
As has been documented over the years...
https://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/you-do-not-need-camber-kits.199650/

https://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=7543

If you want front and rear strut bars, get a solid bar, bars that do not have a pivot point in them, that creates a weak point which defeats the purpose of a strut bar.
Thanks but I am lowering it about 1.5", so camber kits will be needed to have it aligned properly. I agree on solid strut bars.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks but I am lowering it about 1.5", so camber kits will be needed to have it aligned properly.
I understand you're lowering it, there wouldn't be a discussion if you weren't lowering it. This topic has come up many times over my last 20 years of being "into" these older Hondas'.
I've come to understand how this works and have never had a camber kit on anything lowered pre '95, just an alignment and I never had an issue with tire wear.
"When a car is lowered, the ride height changes. when the ride height changes, the camber changes. when the camber changes, the toe changes. (it doesnt work in reverse) this is designed in the double wishbone suspension for better handling in the corners as the outside tire is loaded. therefore, when the ride height changes, the toe changes. and so the toe should be fixed."

jakabony

I understand you're lowering it, there wouldn't be a discussion if you weren't lowering it. This topic has come up many times over my last 20 years of being "into" these older Hondas'.
I've come to understand how this works and have never had a camber kit on anything lowered pre '95, just an alignment and I never had an issue with tire wear.
"When a car is lowered, the ride height changes. when the ride height changes, the camber changes. when the camber changes, the toe changes. (it doesnt work in reverse) this is designed in the double wishbone suspension for better handling in the corners as the outside tire is loaded. therefore, when the ride height changes, the toe changes. and so the toe should be fixed."
Got it, good to know.