I'm sorry, I feel dumb for even asking this.. Finished swap, key won't turn HELP!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
I'm sorry, I feel dumb for even asking this.. Finished swap, key won't turn *SOLVED*

I think I already know my answer, but i'm hoping someone here may have a few tricks up their sleeve.

Short story goes like this:

B16A2 and manual trans going into 94 auto using 99 Integra GSR harness (plug and play). Now, when I got in the car to try and start it today for the very first time after the swap I noticed the ignition was already turned but no key was in it (I'm guessing my little boy pulled the key out at some point during my swap over a couple weeks (other projects going on too)). So I put the key in about half way and turned it back to off. Now when I try and roll the key back to on again, nothing. It's stuck SOLID! So I try and crank the wheel one way or the other, nothing. Turned it so far that it locked and now the wheel is stuck AND the key won't turn. Damn it!

So I came inside, did some searching. I totally forgot about doing the auto to manual park/clutch switch mod near the shifter. So I jumped the park and the clutch, still nothing.

So now, the last thing I can think is that my ignition switch is screwed up some how when the key was pulled and then I rolled it back. Does anyone have any ideas or should I just go ahead and change it out?

BTW, I have two keys. Both work on the door looks just fine. Also, my ECU is converted to manual but that shouldn't matter at this point. If feels like a mechanical issue at this point.

HELP!!!!!

As for the wiring on the park/clutch/starter, this the best write up i found for the EG http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/77708-how-92-95-auto-manual-swap.html

Logan98036wa

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
unlock the wheel before you do anything else

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
That's my plan today. Drop the column plastics and see if I can release the wheel lock first off. Then I can at least roll it back inside the garage. I found someone local with a 96 column and ignition from an Integra so i'm going to see if I can swap ignitions and/or tumblers today and finally get this thing fired up.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wheel is locked was my first thought too. Turn the wheel left or right and try the ignition switch again

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Wheel is locked was my first thought too. Turn the wheel left or right and try the ignition switch again
Yes, it's locked. Spent about an hour trying to mess with it last night. Key will not turn, wheel will not unlock. Turning, shaking, smashing, banging, cussing.... Nothing will release it.

I'm just going to drop the ignition and go from there. I've read up on drilling out the lock so this doesn't happen again, though I think the Integra ignition will solve it. He only wants $20 so I figure it's worth a try.

Jabes

5+ Year Member
found this on hondatech might help you http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1337459
Wiring!

Now this is pretty easy, but then again i love electrical. But all you need to do is connect 5 wires total. One of the plugs that you disconnected from the auto shifter is a 14P plug. Cut the plug off. Your going to have a 2 thick blk wires and 1 blk/blu wire, Solder those 3 together. Those together lets your car think its in park and releases the key and starts your car. Important

Next there is a yel/red wire and a grn/blk wire. Doesnt matter what way they go they do the same. These are for your reverse lights. Connect some line to them and run it through the firewall to your reverse light switch. And your set.
Interlock System
Sorry for lagging on these pics some cars have it and others dont. It just took a while for me to get one that did. Anyway this little box makes sure that your in park so you could get your key back by using this mech. that you will just take out. Very simple job. Weither or not you could leave the box in. For this car i left the box in because i didnt feel like getting to it once i put everything back. If you want to get the box out do it while the lower dash cover is off. This is all on the driver side under the steering wheel. 92-95 have it where the clutch pedal is suppose to go if they have it. Anyway open up the lower steering cover to access the key cylinder. Next youll see this little mech. on the cylinder. Pop off the 1 screw that holds it on and pry it off. You could take the white cover off and it would be a little easier. Once you pop it off youll see that little piston come off. Disconnect it from the wire and your good to go. Enjoy.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Dude.. JABES YOU ROCK! That thread is the first one i've seen showing a slightly different "how to" than the many I used/read when doing mine. Namely adding in the 3rd ground wire with those heavy gauge wires and pulling the ignition piston thing. You may have just saved my life! LOL

Thanks for posting that man!

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
And now that I read through half of that thread (21 pages!), I see someone saying you can not do the 3 wires together for an EG... Now I'm torn on what to try.

Jabes

5+ Year Member
I forget how my eg was ran but I'm almost positive that they ran all 3 wires together

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
That's the one I used when doing this, but I didn't see any place in his write up where he mentioned how to trick the system into thinking it's always parked. I'm pretty sure I have all the wiring straight, my problem is the wheel is locked and the key will not turn no matter what I do. Though... I guess it's possible my "park" configuration wasn't correct last night when I wired it. Should be green w/ white stripe to ground I do believe.

Jabes

5+ Year Member
yeah if the park switch isn't wired right or the blue lock box isn't unhooked then it would seem like your steering wheel was locked but its actually the park switch making it so that the ignition won't lock

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
Copied from my build thread:

So... Here's my last few hours.

As you may have read in my help thread, I did everything I could to figure out why the wheel was locked and how to unlock it but found no solutions. So... I drilled it out. Took about 10 seconds and the wheel was free. You can see the spring coming out of the hole I drilled. That's what holds the wheel lock. Soon as the spring fell out with a 3/8 drill bit, the lock came right loose.

But after dropping the ignition, I STILL couldn't turn the key!

So... I found someone selling a complete 96 integra column w/ ignition for $20 a few miles down the road.

Dremel cuts in the threaded bolts so you can turn them out and drop the ignition. The way the manual tells you to do this is so freakn' dumb! There method would take hours. This took all of 5 minutes and I didn't have to remove ANYTHING from the car steering column except the plastic directly around the ignition.

Then you pop the little key lock plunger out and TADA!!! Once you pop that little white cover off pictured just under that plunger piece, that little gold box deal just comes loose and the plunger comes right out. I guess this thing holds your key in because of the swap (or something). LOL.. I figured I better do it since apparently it's very annoying to pull your battery negative so you can release your key every time. haha

So.. I popped the Integra ingnition in. It was only just slightly different on one connector which I didn't bother to hook up. Worked like a champ! I need to figure out what that little plug does that I left hanging but the car runs! Fires right up on the first turn but sounds like the idle still needs to be sorted out. I'M SO PUMPED RIGHT NOW!