ImportFan's Build: Project G

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just picked up a 2008 Cobalt SS from IAA in Tuscon, AZ and had it shipped to Cincinnati, OH. Going to be a monster when she's done.













Going to be a few weeks before I start teardown but I wanted to do something so I decided to give her a bath.







And then debadged it.







And started to paint correct the hood



 

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Been working on cleaning up the garage before starting on the project.



All cleared


New shelf that my table saw can go under. Left will be for a mobile workstation that power tools will be able to sit in.


And how the workbench side started.


Took out the upper cabinets, shortened the workbench, and started a custom shelving unit.


Raw unit


And custom built doors


Main cabinet done, trimmed out, and painted


Outside done


Put electric in the unit so I can plug batter chargers and stuff in.


Slide out shelf for power tools done


Electric by the end of the workbench.


Still need to build a new workbench but will be big enough that this bad boy will fit under it.


Hope to have it done in the next 2 weekends so I can actually start on the project.
 


ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Tool chest showed up yesterday. Plan on taking the caster wheels off, putting it on heavy-duty furniture movers that are only 1.5 inchs tall, then building a workbench around it.

 

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Garage is complete













 


ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well, got a new radiator and put it in. Wanted to make sure it was able to get to temp and everything worked.


Was burning white smoke but running fine. Grabbed my dads scanner, cleared the codes, and now I can get it to run without flooring it.
Pretty sure the head gasket is blown.
Codes were for MAF, and cylinder 3/4 misfire. Throwing so soot water out the exhaust too it’s been washed and not really ran in at least 3 months.

Yesterday I compression tested the engine and got 160 across the board.

Got new spark plugs and coil packs which did nothing. Ended up unplugging the MAF and got it to run smoothly.


The following CEL's came on:
P0100
P0130
P0304

Going to get a new MAF sensor and upstream O2 sensor and go from there.

Started some disassembly as well.




 

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Did some weight reduction
 

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Final progress from the weekend. Got most of the interior done. Did a few connections/bolts on the dash, and started working on the trunk.














And my basement...
 

EK9

CCSC #15 & HID Specialist
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
shop looks clean.. keep up the work man
 

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Progress from today. Started to disassemble the front suspension.






And the storage


 

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member








And more disassemby. Interior done (minus dash)










Got the subframe removed and a lot of the engine bay stuff.

Found out I'm missing the engine lift point brackets so need to figure that out before removing the engine.

Also need to figure out how I'm going to get to the heater core hoses at the back of the block.
 

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well, got the car stripped most of the way yesterday. Just need to strip the dash and the rear.

My engine didn't have the lift brackets so we made the ones of my old VW R32 motor work.








Dash out as well.






Wiring harness all boxed up.
 

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Got the rest of the body stripped over the weekend. Just have the dash left.










 

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
New control arm bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, and timing chain guide bolt came in.


Dad working on the wiring harness while I wait on chassis #208. Should start welding in the next few weeks.






 

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Big shipment coming in on a semi this weekend or early next week.

Also ordered a 66" wang.
 

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Made a cart for the chassis. V1 didn't have the cross braces and it collaped when we moved it.






She's here!




3 cars in a 2 car garage
 

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Inventory of parts hitting the powder coatered this evening. Exceited to get started on her.


Chassis


Subframe


Sheet metal panels and gas tank






























 

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Fender Spacers...






















 


Top